trunk wont open

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
bwhbmw

trunk wont open

Post by bwhbmw »

the trunk lid on my 83 533i is jammed shut and wont open. i have tried to unlock but the key insert/button to pop the trunk open gets stuck pushed in and trunk stays shut. suggestions?

and while i have this post whats the best way to put coilovers on this car? or should i go for a regular sport suspension?
myfree528e

Post by myfree528e »

silly question, but do you think the trunk lid is stuck to the seal? it can happen if the car sits for a while... - can you figure out how to get the release knob out? (with the key or other) - It sounds a bit like the striker mechanism jammed/became misaligned. Sorry, I cant think of an easy/painfree way to get into the trunk.
Good Luck
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Try lifting firmly from both sides while pushing on the button. Having two helpers is definitely a plus here. If that doesn't work, you might have to drill out the lock assembly (the housing); drilling under the roundel and in other locations as sometimes suggested are not options.

I also suggest you make a separate post for your coilover question -- it's bad form to put two disparate questions together, especially under one unrelated subject. Before you post, though search on "coilover" and "+coil +over" -- the subject has been discussed many times.
bwhbmw

Post by bwhbmw »

thanks both of you for the advice on the trunk. also special thanks to you shawn for teaching me about the search button which has answered my other question along with making life a little easier haha.
TT

Post by TT »

Don't ask me about trunks not opening on E28's. You won't like my answer.
Remember guys?
bwhbmw

Post by bwhbmw »

whats the story? :shock:
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

bwhbmw wrote:whats the story? :shock:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

turbodan wrote: