How to post photos using Google Photos

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Galahad

How to post photos using Google Photos

Post by Galahad »

I started using Google Photos as a hosting service for photos as opposed to imgur or flickr. It comes free with a google account (and used to offer unlimited storage but not any more).

There isn't a write-up on how to use Google Photos on mye28, so I figured I would write one to give people more options. I had to look up how to do it myself - it isn't the most intuitive process.

Start by logging in to photos.google.com.

Making a new album isn't necessary but I've found it helps with organization. Go to the break to skip album creation info.

Note: I don't believe you can upload from your computer and select already uploaded photos at the same time. If you're using already uploaded photos click "Done" next to "select from computer"

If you have a preexisting album you would like to add photos to, the "add photos" button is in the upper right once you select the album.

==========================================================================================================================================================

Everything below here is the same, even if you don't use albums.

If you want to change the image size you can do that by modifying the giant url. The width and height are given in pixels all the way at the end. I don't think there are limits on what sizes you can use as long as you make it smaller.
Example:

Original size:
lh3.googleusercontent.com/lots_o_garbage=w2310-h1498-no

smaller:
lh3.googleusercontent.com/lots_o_garbage=w1280-h720-no
Last edited by Galahad on Nov 21, 2020 7:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Re: How to post photos using Google Photos

Post by wkohler »

Sometimes this doesn't always work. I find you have to open the image so it shows up, then right click. Even then sometimes it doesn't show up for others. It would for me since I'm signed in. So, I check everything by opening it up in a private browser window. Sometimes, if it doesn't work, I do the exact same thing I did before but the link is different so something is happening. That said, as convoluted as this may be, it's way easier to get a link to a image than flickr ever was on a mobile device.