Anyone looking for an E34 M5?

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
Spen

Anyone looking for an E34 M5?

Post by Spen »

I just picked one up, just for the wheels (BBS RS198) and I am going to sell the car. It's a difficult pill to swallow, because holy fuck it's fast and beautiful. Everything seems to work great, windows, central locks, stereo with a sub wired into it (original deck and a cd changer in trunk), all original body panels with matching tags, black/black, 204900 miles. Maintained apparently at Strictly BMW a local Seattle-area BMW shop. It's a high dollar shop and reputable. Clutch and driveline are solid. Motor is unreal. It hauls ass. Didn't look @ the pads, but brakes great. Shocks feel awesome. It has the Nurburgring (I think?) rear seat, with the integrated slide-out beverage cooler in the middle, so it only seats 4. It has minor scrapes on the four corners of the car, but very minimalistic shit is wrong with it, basically nothing that I would even fix - I would just clay bar it, KLASSE, and put on some nice wax or something like that... Has tinted windows, no dash lights on, motor is super super clean and apparently leak free, maybe a little weeping on PS lines? Maybe? I cannot believe that I am restoring my e28 and shit canning this car, since it's so damn fast and fun to drive in. Totally quiet inside, doors work great, locks were a little sticky, probably just a little lube and back in business. they all work, no gotchas or problem areas that are worth mentioning. It's got 204k and runs like a dream, no slip clutch, motor spins so nice and smooth! Gobs of power. It's a dream car and I should never have bought it - cause JFC it's awesome.

So, the price I am thinking of is $6500 with staggered BMW OEM Style 66 rims, or $5900 with no rims (BYO Rims). Even the shift knob is lighted and it works (!) I just have never had such a nice M car before.

I'd prefer NOT to sell it to a dismantler who is going to rip it apart, would be a good restoration candidate or just a good daily driver, or a "split it with me" track car for a couple-three guys to go in on and have a sweet track car that can be sold off for parts, if wrecked.

Anyway, it's a fantastic car. I'll post some pics of it tonight/etc, but for now ... ???

I should just sell my e28 not that it's basically restored and drive this. It's just that good. I just don't know about maintenance. Probably expensive parts!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Location?
Spen

Post by Spen »

I apologize for lack of location.

Car is located near Seattle, Washington. For locals, it is in Renton, about 5 minutes from 'technically Seattle' and 15 mins from downtown. I am on the east side near I-90.

Spencer
VW+bimmer=bliss

Post by VW+bimmer=bliss »

Omg, I wish this had been around last year, I missed TCD's silver E34 M5 also......arrrrggghhh
GLWS
Nosis

Post by Nosis »

I only wish I could consider buying this car, but am giddy with excitement for pictures.
Sharkbite

Post by Sharkbite »

I'm very interested.

Does the AC and heat work well ?

Any hint of coolant odor when you try to use both the AC or the Heat ?

Pics please.

PS- any records from PO's...
Mab1957

Post by Mab1957 »

I am pleaseD to see that I'm not the only person who would buy a car for the wheels!

GLWS
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

I thought this car was owned by a guy named Jason?
Spen

Post by Spen »

It was owned by a guy named Jason. The title is still in the orig. owner's name, but I was undeterred despite that. It means you will pay $100 late title fee, or if you buy it and ship it elsewhere, it will be zero dollars in fees.

I will gladly answer detailed questions over the phone, but fielding the questions that came up... heat works fantastic. AC seems to work as well, I didn't get it freezing in there but the light comes on, and the compressor was actually replaced along the way (yes, it was, by a high dollar dealer).There are no coolant problems, and the car comes with a stack of receipts and the original purchase price. The water pump was replaced, coolant lines look new, engine is extremely clean. Basically I don't know how much this guy spent, but 40,000 seems a decent estimate. At 196k the timing chain & tensioner was replaced. The clutch is good no slips at all... It redlines like nothing I have ever experienced. It even has a full toolkit... The rear bucket seats are super nice and no leather rips, and it's super soft and smells like BMW leather (reminds me of my old M3 actually).

Just call if you're seriously into it... I can take pics and answer questions and inspect shit over the phone with you. My number: 425-246-8197

Sorry for the delay, I want this to go to someone who can enjoy it more than I would, it's not a daily driver car that I want to maintain, and I like my old piece of shit e28. heh!
Spen

Post by Spen »

One additional thing. It is a one owner car. Besides the previous guy and me. LOL. What I mean is, the other fella I got it from just bought it, was going to fix it up (saw value/fun) and then got into some other stuff, and needed to sell it. He's a real nice and 100% legit dude. Anyway, I've put about 50 miles on it.

What I was going to do:

* Vacuum interior and wipe it down with some clean rags and put some non-silicone dash stuff on it (smells nice too, and local lady makes it).
* Put Griot's leather care on seats and buff off. Not going to Mr. Clean the seats. Just condition.
* Gummi-pflege on seals that I can easily access
* Wash exterior, inspect for problems along the way, and clean the shit out of the trunk, as the carpet mat is a little dirty. Guy probably did some golfing.
* A little oil from the oil change was spilled on the valve cover, I was going to "de-gunk" it, as it gets a little "smells like burning". ZERO DRIPS and it's not leaking, it's friggin clean, you can see where the guy just spilled oil at the valve cover filling it.

I guess the dude didn't drive it a lot during the last X number of years but decided to replace the timing chain and suchlike. All these services are insane. $1000 service records are common. $2000 are somewhat common. $3000 is the biggest I can recall. It's madness!

It does shake a bit under braking, but could be the alignment (it's imperfect, but not screwed up, I think the interim owner was selling the wheels separately and who knows regarding alignment/etc).

Truthfully, I don't wanna sell it. But I want to finish my old E28 and I want these wheels on it. I fought hard for my set of Style 66 staggered rims. And it's time to put them on this car, and drive around an E28 on BBS.
Spen

Post by Spen »

Last thing. I am going to futz with it a bit tonight at my friend's garage where my E28 is. I'm going to snap pics of the M5 while I am there, probably doing a bit of work on each vehicle. So, PICS SOON. Sorry, I just got it yesterday morning and I have a lot going on like so many people do :)
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

This is definitely the car I am thinking of. I inquired about it a while ago. It was disclosed to me that it was losing coolant and he had added coolant in his very short ownership. He also indicated that it ran rough when it is cold.

Have you done anything to address these issues?
Spen

Post by Spen »

Losing coolant? Hmm, no. He said the coolant level sensor came on once, but I've had that happen on my other BMW's that I have owned periodically and it doesn't leak coolant. It might lose some (I didn't check) but it does not smoke at all. The temp gauge never got over the middle when I was driving it, and the oil temp got up to just below the middle.

The car doesn't idle rough in my opinion. The motor's kind of a race motor, right? Well the needle basically sticks at 850-900 give or take, but doesn't hunt. Idle it is a little lumpy. I've read that it's hard to get a perfect idle. Who knows, might have a vacuum leak, but it runs fantastically. The other owner did buy a intake elbow and he said it was in poor shape (the original) and the new one is great though.
Sam 84, 533i

Post by Sam 84, 533i »

Damn Spence! talk about bad timing! If its going to the dismantler i would be interested in getting the whole car but i am tight on cash. Wanted to wait until the summer for an e34 or e28 m5. Well my e28 quit on me and is at the mechanics for electrical issues$$$. My family/ I could really use another car. I don't see me driving away with this though. Is this the same one with the timing chain problem on cl awhile back?

Btw hows your e28? Haven't herd from you in awhile
Spen

Post by Spen »

Sam, my e28 is almost done. It's looking so good (to me), and I am finishing it up tonight at my friend's garage. 8 bolts, a quick engine detail/wash to get the grease off (it's leak free though) and a little zip-tying... Hook up the foglights. Yes, that is it!

I hope to go for a ride once we both finish the e28's, after it's done (on my end) I have to simply:

Drive to tint to get side windows tinted
Drive to paint shop get the car color sanded and items touched up
Drive to mechanic, drop off and it's getting a few service items

And it's done and ready for more turd polishing bit by bit from yours truly. :) lol!

This M5 has no timing chain issues that I am aware of, and I have the receipt from P/O showing it was done at 196k over $1000 job. It does not have coolant loss issues, I've driven it for a few days back and forth to work and it's all good. Coolant is clean looking (fresh) and no oil, etc at all. It was a half quart low on oil when I bought it, and I am sure this is normal usage between oil changes. I was going to grab a quart and top it off and clean the spill of oil the guy did on the valve cover which is burning off (stinks almost not at all now)

It runs flawlessly, and needs very little - mostly a little TLC on alignment I am thinking, I got a little brake wobble at high speed > 100mph braking, just felt alignment or bushing related.The interior is in great condition. The lighted shift knob works, everything works. I just need to clean it, it wasn't kept dirty by any means - just not perfectly tidy, but it'll be easy to clean (just time consuming) and then it's time for a clay bar and a nice KLASSE bottom coat or two, then wax and detail cleanup.

I am putting my Style 66 staggered rims on it with quality metal hubcentric rings and that's about it... It's sale time after that, because I like E28 > M5, though M5 makes my E28 look like a real toy comparatively.

I get frustrated when people seem to assume (feels like to me) that a person selling a nice car cheap with higher miles, etc. is trying to sell a lemon/piece of crap. I've now driven it a couple hundred miles, it idles like M5's reportedly should, dead straight needle, no hunting, coolant looks good along with radiator and cooiling systme looks quite new from an exterior looking over, oil is good and the intermediate owner got a oil change, I've been easy driving it, with a few trips through redline, and it just performs great, no funky shit.

The price I wanted was 5900 w/ no rims, or 6500 w/ the Style 66 staggered (which is probably a better deal, those 66's are kind of rare staggered). It comes with 40k-ish of P/O services at BMW Bellevue/Strictly BMW. I am sure with nearly all used cars, it will benefit from ~500-$1000 in maintenance to bring it up to "fresh" status... If you pay a paintless dent wizard to come in, get a full detail, oil change in gearbox, diff, engine, and inspect and replace some bushings (if need be) to fix the minor braking issue - or just drive it as is and tend to only the fluids.

I want to steal the full size spare M-System 17'' from the trunk for my E28 and I am 100% taking the blue rag it came with for the E28 (debating on the spare) and I am basically ready to sell it. I am just taking 1, maybe 2 things from it + the rims, replacing the rims from my E28, etc.

It's the lowest priced M5 on the west coast on Craig's List!

Lastly, we should get together soon within a couple weeks and I can show you my car. Would love to say hello and show off the car, and maybe get a bite to eat.

Spen
Sharkbite

Post by Sharkbite »

Hoping your next response includes pics.
Spen

Post by Spen »

Dear Sharkbite, sorry for the thread of chattyness... My girlfriend has a real nice Canon 7D camera, but this is in my dark garage at office building. Taken with my cellphone. Doh! I wanted to get you pics so you can have something to look at. Been busy (I work M-F) and I wanted to take some pics so you can see. I really wanted to clean it first and then snap those pics.

Interior is really in great shape, the rear decklid fabric looks like it might need to be re-glued (I've done this kind of work and it's pretty easy to get pro results with 3M 90 spray glue or Dap Weldwood Landau Top & Trim), exterior body is in good shape with some door dings and stuff. The RF fender got hit, or PO ran into a pole or something, it's a small hit and could be taken out by a paintless dent guy. If you want a mint car, it would benefit from paint touchups or a respray, but bodywork would be minor. I mean, how far do you want to take it is the name of nearly any car game.

Quick cell pics with more pics to come with a nice high res professional camera and I can do a video walkthrough, show the car running, etc:

https://picasaweb.google.com/spencer.maiers/M5Pics

I'm not advertising on M5board.com yet, as I prefer to offer it here first to e28'ers.

Pic notes:

1 - toolkit is basically full, I am taking the blue rag for my e28. Sorry.
2 - huge stack of receipts from work done on m5 from expensive shops and the dealer. Im guessing 40 grand worth. Car was a WA car its whole life, so NO RUST from salt, etc. Under chassis looks great from eyeballing, I will do thorough inspection when detailing it out a bit
3 - trunk shot, sorry, got good deal on Zevia soda. Has a sub wired in to the stock stereo. NOTE stock stereo deck has light out on the stereo readout. Not sure if you can replace those lights? Either way.
4 - shitty interior shot. Interior is truly very nice. Headliner is not perfect, but is NOT BAD. I will include pics later.
5 - bucket rear seats are in near mint condition, and the storage compartments work fantastic.
6 - front of car, you can see the fender at the corner by the edge of the bumper if you look. It is a little scrape, brushed up against something, and was done by Prev. owner.
7 - lights, foglights, brights all work as intended and are factory wired, I.E. brights shut off fogs. Ellipsoid headlights and foglights are quite nice and bright.
8 - side shot of front. Missing running light is in the trunk, appears to popped out when PO scraped (looks like years ago) something with the bumper trim. Bumper is solid, not loose or broken fasteners. Original body panels w/ VIN.
9 - rear shot. The tow hook cover is included, the intermediate owner said that some tab was broken off. I did not look at it, but he said it'd stick on with tape or something. It did not bother me and appeared to be "all there" and in good condition. Interim owner did not know a ton about M5's E34 style. LR tail light has small hole in plastic, so a new light would be nice. Should be cheap @ junkyard. Same for all E34's. RR bumper was run into a pole at low speed or something, causing some paint removal. I would probably re-spray the rear bumper on the underside and put some glazing putty on the bumper before priming to make it perfectly smooth. Same as front, these are 200k mile nicks from the original owner, who also included the original
$62700 sticker price from 1991 and the loan paperwork, etc.

I will PM you say hello.
Sam 84, 533i

Post by Sam 84, 533i »

Ya its a good deal, I just don't have 5000 right now. Wanted to buy in the summer.

Haven't forgotten about lunch. You will probably have to wait on me a couple weeks. My cars in the shop for unexpected electrical issues. And after I need to install my suspension system.
Spen

Post by Spen »

I just updated pics at lunch with my girlfriend. So I have a bunch of newer pics showing off the car better. Still, cellphone shots and I want to detail it etc. But, there ya go!

https://picasaweb.google.com/spencer.maiers/M5Pics
Spen

Post by Spen »

I just wanted to clear something up...

I spoke to the previous 'interim' owner tonight ( we are on good terms, I feel like I got a good deal, he is happy too ) and we spoke about the coolant issue. Well, the M5 has never had any coolant added to it by the interim PO. We spoke at length about it. The level sensor came on once or twice he said, when he owned it. It never was low, so he dismissed it as the sensor flaking out. Like he said, and I have experienced all week, it *does not smoke* and the heater *does not smell like coolant or anything funky*.

While I am appreciative of cars getting rumors started about them that are true, I would like to say that this apparent rumor and/or questioning is baseless from all my research and speaking with the PO multiple times this week over text and voice! I also may pick up a set of wheels from him this weekend! He is a straight shooter and a nice young guy.

pldlnr, I appreciate your zeal, and that you are a local fellow, but I wanted to clear this up for the benefit of myself and the other potential buyers.

Hope that clears that up... Off to do some detail work on it tonight!

Spencer
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Did this Jason fellow buy this car at the end of December? Sure sounds awfully familiar.
Spen

Post by Spen »

Jason bought it recently, I think it was the end of December. Bought from orig. owner.
Spen

Post by Spen »

By the way, if this ends up being the same car, no worries, I just wanted to clear up the situation as I understood it. You guys might know the car better than I! Just giving my experience so far truthfully, etc.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Spen wrote:Jason bought it recently, I think it was the end of December. Bought from orig. owner.
I don't know why I saved the ad for that, but I did.
1991 E34 BMW M5 , Black on Black, fixer or for parts
Date: 2011-12-27, 7:37PM

1991 E34 BMW M5. 205K Miles. Same owner for over 20 years. Stock except for 3 piece BBS wheels. No accidents or track use.
According to shop: "Timing chain has jumped a couple of teeth" and an exhaust valve is stuck/rattling.
Car still runs/drives, but will need engine pulled and timing chain/assembly service + perhaps more.
Car ran quite well and fast and was driven regularly before timing chain "jumped" this weekend and it was immediately shut down and towed to shop.

No accidents or track use. Body stright with some dings. Interior in tact with light wear and no damage.
Appropriate for hobby/fixer or parting out.

Open to offers.
Thanks.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

:popcorn:

:help: