New Tunerstudio thoughts and opinions.

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Scottinva

New Tunerstudio thoughts and opinions.

Post by Scottinva »

As some of you may know a new version (TunerStudioMS_v0.990.4) Was released on 1/16/2010, so I set out to try out its biggest addition to the software which happens to called "VE Analyze Live". I installed the software, plugged in my most recent msq, and took a look at the 3d view. I had recently lost my lc-1 and was tuning by hand for a bit just so I could continually drive my car on a fairly regular basis. Needless to say the VE table was fairly choppy.

So I opened up the software unchecked "update controller", which updates your ve table every 10 seconds. I did this to make sure it wasn't going to put some ridiculous values which would make the car undriveable. I did a short little tuning run and it seemed to do well. I then rechecked update controller, and continued to drive. I was a bit skeptical wether or not this process was going to work. I wondered if when it burned if it would make the car jump everytime. It didn't jump at all, what it did do was smooth out my ve table to near perfection, in a much faster amount of time than you could do with MLV.

Overall, I found this software update to be absolutely wonderful, and a good tool now available to all the Megasquirt tuners out there.
Last edited by Scottinva on Jan 19, 2010 1:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

That is really exciting. I didn't get a chance to take the laptop with me today as I overslept. :oops: I will be trying it out tomorrow for S&Gs. It almost seems like "cheating" if it works that well, but anything that makes dialing in the VE table easier is good in my book. I'm just glad I have a grasp on what is going on and how to tune without it though. That is my only fear is that people are going to rely on it too heavily not really knowing what they are doing.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

I felt more useless then normal driving the car, its like you just drive and it sits there tuning itself. You feel like you should be doing more! Than again I guess as we have learned the hardpart, is not starting your ve table at 80kpa for idle. Also to make spark table go over 100kpa when you can achieve more.
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:That is my only fear is that people are going to rely on it too heavily not really knowing what they are doing.
This place is getting worse than e30tech with that stuff.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:That is my only fear is that people are going to rely on it too heavily not really knowing what they are doing.
Perfect for people like me! Whooopeee!
e30-m30_kid89

Post by e30-m30_kid89 »

The VE anaylzer live sounds like an awesome tool, Only reason i like it is I can get the car tuned more quickly without having to do a few pulls here and there, stop, open mlv, etc etc burn new table and repeat etc etc.

I still would like to know whats going on but for somebody who does know I see this being a time saving tool.
winfred

Post by winfred »

loaded it last night and ran it to and from work today, works great, i haven't had time to really refine my tune between 6 days a week work and a new girlfriend, neither really want to be ignored :D having the fuel right will make screwing with the timing easier
George

Post by George »

So let me get this right: You load TS, hit VE analyze Live and then click update controller and let it start tuning?

This should make the change to larger injectors much easier.

Just when I was completely comfortable making major changes they go and make it easier.
winfred

Post by winfred »

not sure how far it can tweak a set up but thats what i did, open program and select auto tune then start it adjusting and drive
thesixerkid wrote:So let me get this right: You load TS, hit VE analyze Live and then click update controller and let it start tuning?

Just when I was completely comfortable making major changes they go and make it easier.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

thesixerkid wrote:So let me get this right: You load TS, hit VE analyze Live and then click update controller and let it start tuning?

Yep thats about it, make sure you have the min RPM set. Mine goes back to 0 when i open the software, and it has "tuned" my idle ve a few times. Sometimes I think I have the min rpm set and it still trys to tune idle. I don't know if its a bug in the software, or I just need to set min rpm each time.
George

Post by George »

This is pretty fucking cool. I was kind of dreading having to re-tune for the 630cc injectors. Not so much anymore.

What settings do you guys find works best for the authority and filters?
winfred

Post by winfred »

i didn't set anything and let er rip as is
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

winfred wrote:i didn't set anything and let er rip as is
I put in a min rpm, and did the same thing. Worked good like that.
FirstFives Dictator

Post by FirstFives Dictator »

thesixerkid wrote:This is pretty fucking cool. I was kind of dreading having to re-tune for the 630cc injectors. Not so much anymore.

What settings do you guys find works best for the authority and filters?
min rpm 1300
min clt 130

If you re-cal req fuel, you should be closer.

Getting opening times right is key for larger injectors.
winfred

Post by winfred »

i looked and mine was preset to 160* min temp, doesn't seem to be pissing it off to just let it tweak the whole rpm range, idle is decent despite my need to further tweak the icv settings, ac compressor pisses it off :(
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

really want to play with it but i cant seem to figure out my connection problems. it seems to be good though for the little bits i have been able to use it.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Used it earlier today.
Hands down you'll never use MLVs ve analyzer again.
This will take 90% of the work out and it'll do it way faster.:shock:
Canuck YYC

Post by Canuck YYC »

If this tool is a way to tune the VE table, isn't using it to compensate for injector changes precisely what it's not made for? If you made modifications that changed your engine's VE, then it makes sense to adjust the VE table (with whatever means). Meh-maybe I don't have a clear grasp of what the VE table's true function is in the MS package.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

VE analyze live tries to match your actual afr
to your target afr, just like the analyze in MLV, but it does a better job at it basically.

The numbers in the VE table are just numbers based on what
you scaled your injectors to. Higher value, more fuel etc.

The numbers don't represent real volumetric efficiency %.
FirstFives Dictator

Post by FirstFives Dictator »

Shadow wrote:VE analyze live tries to match your actual afr
to your target afr, just like the analyze in MLV, but it does a better job at it basically.

The numbers in the VE table are just numbers based on what
you scaled your injectors to. Higher value, more fuel etc.

The numbers don't represent real volumetric efficiency %.
actually, they are related to volumetric efficiency but have desired AFR included. There's an option on newer extra code to break out AFR and multiply it as part of PW calculation. Then you can just change AFR table values for instant changes.
MegaManual wrote:MegaSquirt Fuel Equation

What MegaSquirt® does is take this downloaded REQ_FUEL number and then multiply (or adds) values that scale this number, to come up with the injected pulse width [PW]. Therefore, pulse width is:

PW = REQ_FUEL * VE * MAP * E + accel + Injector_open_time

The "E" above is the multiplied result of all enrichments, like warm-up, after-start, barometer and air temperature correction, closed-loop, etc:

E = gamma_Enrich = (Warmup/100) * (O2_Closed Loop/100) * (AirCorr/100) * (BaroCorr/100)
George

Post by George »

Canuck YYC wrote:If this tool is a way to tune the VE table, isn't using it to compensate for injector changes precisely what it's not made for? If you made modifications that changed your engine's VE, then it makes sense to adjust the VE table (with whatever means). Meh-maybe I don't have a clear grasp of what the VE table's true function is in the MS package.
I will certainly change the required fuel and do as good of a job as I can tuning the car solo. I'm currently running 4.5 bar on 37# injectors. I'd like to bring that down to 3.5 bar with 60# injectors.

It always takes me a while to get the VE smooth. I'm hoping VE Analyzer makes this easier.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

I tuned a car today that when you would set off it was at around 16-18afr in every gear, it was simply way way too lean in almost every spot of the map. Within the time of my lunch break, it was easily daily driveable. It very smooth, power came on nice, tuning with this tool is absolutely amazing.
Canuck YYC

Post by Canuck YYC »

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like I was slagging people for using it. I'm envious-I need to get my act together and get
my car 'squirted one of these days.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Scottinva wrote:I tuned a car today that when you would set off it was at around 16-18afr in every gear, it was simply way way too lean in almost every spot of the map. Within the time of my lunch break, it was easily daily driveable. It very smooth, power came on nice, tuning with this tool is absolutely amazing.
That's how my ve was tuned because I never really wanted to take the extra time to get rid of those lean part throttle spots.
"It's fine".

With this I just targeted 15.5afr and it adjusted those areas within 5 minutes of driving, and no more lean surges.
I'm still blown away at how easy this program makes adjusting VE by yourself. :banana:
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

15.5afr? For interstate cruising only right? (just making sure)