E28 M5 CSL - The Beast From Sweden - Sold to a new owner!

Post your photos and videos here!
Mats Kinnby

E28 M5 CSL - The Beast From Sweden - Sold to a new owner!

Post by Mats Kinnby »

Hi guys!

Im new to this forum, and thought it would be a good place to publish the car we have been building for some time.

Since the E9 3.0 CSL is possible to buy, we didnt choose that easy path when it was time to build our new race car...

First, we retired the E28 M535i we used to run in the racing series.

And then we bought in a scrappy old 528i to experiment with...

Once it was welded to the wanted shape, we made molds of it, and scrapped it out. Molds and other items seen here.

Then we stripped down the M535i and prepared a S38B38 Evolution engine for the new car...

Said and done, we made some new fenders in the molds, and put them on to the car to see what we had created...

BBS wheels for rain and for dry was invested and stored.

Off to the paint shop, and back it came...

Some assembly time later it looked like this...

And next to a stock M535i it looks like this...

And when all is put together and the colour scheme was completed, it made its first apearence in the race!

To be continued with pics and tech spec...
Last edited by Mats Kinnby on Mar 22, 2012 5:10 PM, edited 9 times in total.
WilNJ

E28 Batmobile

Post by WilNJ »

Car looks fantastic, how did it do it's first time racing?

BTW, I would not suggest driving on the interlocking pavers in your driveway until you've completed the installation.

Driving on them like that creates gaps between the stones and the installation will never be as solid as it should be.
Last edited by WilNJ on Aug 25, 2009 3:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BMWgiant

Post by BMWgiant »

Man, you need a photoshoot with that monster next to a real CSL.. That's such an awesome project! Congrats on the completion!
misha

Post by misha »

very cool car.

So does the rear door even open anymore. Not that you need it to, just a bit curious.
WVe28

Post by WVe28 »

misha wrote:very cool car.

So does the rear door even open anymore. Not that you need it to, just a bit curious.
Uhhh, what rear door? :laugh: I'm pretty sure there's only 2 doors on that e28 now.

Awesome project! :up:
Bimmere28

Post by Bimmere28 »

Soooo bad asS!!!! I loved the way it looked when it was all white and there was no paint scheme. I can't wait till someone does that to an e28 that they drive on the street! You might have to re-design the front bumper so it's little higher though!
Mats Kinnby

Post by Mats Kinnby »

Thanks guys for your nice words!

Some answers to your questions:

The car has been struggeling with some strange problems all season and didnt perform any results to brag about so far. Once all problems seemed sorted out, a new one came, and this time it was a hard one to find... Fuel hoses that wont stand the high octane race fuel and therefore melting slowly inside, rubber parts get stuck in the fuel injectors and the car runs lean and wont rev up as it should.
Jegs has now shipped a better hose and we look forward to the next (final) race that takes place in October 10.

The rear doors are welded in place and wont open unless Hulk Hogan manages to find the handle...

I will try to publish some technical specification if its for anyones interest.

And regarding the photoshoot with a real CSL, it has already been made...

Will see if i can find better photos and post as time passes by.

Nice forum, and good enthusiasts! Im happy to have found it! :D
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

WOW, that is so friggin cool. Absolutely love it... awesome project and a one-of-a-kind car :D

Did you ever consider a different, more current, more powerful BMW power plant... while not "period" to the car chassis, it would quite a hybrid!!! 8)

-RoyW
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

I've been wanting to do that for my future track car for a while now. I'd like to run in the SCCA Pro series in an e28 against Vipers and the McLaren SLR. :D
rojacob

Post by rojacob »

Welcome matts....I thought you would have a profile hear a long time ago since u help out making styling parts for us e28's...good to see you with us now

Roge' Jacobs
Aka
Rojacob
Jake D

Post by Jake D »

Nice build. Beautiful end product!!
BadM535i

Post by BadM535i »

Wow I can't believe the rear fenders are glued on there with only windshield adhesive. This is beautiful work!!! :clap: Only thing messing is a carbon fiber intake manifold!
Mats Kinnby

Post by Mats Kinnby »

Bimmere28 wrote:You might have to re-design the front bumper so it's little higher though!
Yes, so far the low front airdam has shown rising temperatures in both gerabox and rear differential, no cold air passing under the car during the race. Even though i have the Z3 M-coupe end cover for the final gear.

RoyW wrote:Did you ever consider a different, more current, more powerful BMW power plant... while not "period" to the car chassis, it would quite a hybrid!!! 8)

-RoyW
Thanks for the positive words!
We got a offer from BMW to use the V10 from M5 E60, but overall costs apart from engine itself would be too high to deal with during a financial crisis when sponsors seem to avoid answering their phones... Engine was one thing, brand new V10 for less than 12 000 USD, but you need manifolds, intakes, electronics, and, and, and... For now, the well sounding inline six will do just fine ;)
tsmall07 wrote:I've been wanting to do that for my future track car for a while now. I'd like to run in the SCCA Pro series in an e28 against Vipers and the McLaren SLR. :D
Cool, would be nice to see more racing E28´s, get it on man! I have some specs for you if you need a shortcut to a suitable chassis.
rojacob wrote:Welcome matts....I thought you would have a profile hear a long time ago since u help out making styling parts for us e28's...good to see you with us now

Roge' Jacobs
Aka
Rojacob
Hi Roge! I hope you were satisfied with the tail lights, and your car looks awesome. The M5 CSL is some kind of final E28 project for me i guess, its been a few since i started out modifying E28´s, but this one has been more than enough...
Jake D wrote:Nice build. Beautiful end product!!
Thanks, this is why we did it. Everyone has thought about doing it, but no one ever seemed to make it, so what the heck... :roll:
BadM535i wrote:Wow I can't believe the rear fenders are glued on there with only windshield adhesive. This is beautiful work!!! :clap: Only thing messing is a carbon fiber intake manifold!
Winshield adhesive is same as body panel glue, its extremely tough and wont flex or come loose. Have in mind that the windshield is a big part of the strength in a modern car, so the glue is nothing used for stamps...

And regarding the carbon fibre intake.. its already in the shop, waiting for the free programmable injection system (DTA PRO), would loose power to install it before i can re map the system, original ECU is mapped together with the standard aluminum airbox, and optimized for that one.

BTW, is that a race-cat on the pic you have? :laugh:
87royal

Post by 87royal »

Wow!
rojacob

Post by rojacob »

Yes I am happy with my lens....very strong products... a great investment, thanks again

also was wondering when you will have new products for e28's?

BTW...I got clear indicater lense's ;) ;)
SpongeBob

For sale?????

Post by SpongeBob »

Would you be willing to sell parts off the molds?

If yes - what parts are included?

Thanks

SBSP
BadM535i

Post by BadM535i »

Mats Kinnby wrote: BTW, is that a race-cat on the pic you have? :laugh:
haha my cat fell in love with the turbo manifold. He sits and naps next to it everyday! Right now he is in charge of it! :laugh:
Corner Carver

Post by Corner Carver »

:shock: WOW. That is one freakin' awesome build!!! What a blast! You do nice work! Absolutely gorgeous!

Where in Sweden are you? I have family in Leksand.

Welcome!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Nice, quality-looking work! Have you noticed any functional effect from the new body parts?
E28CFX1

Post by E28CFX1 »

Good god that is absolutely delicious! :shock: Congratulations on such an amazing final product!

Fox
Denver, CO
BMWJustin

Post by BMWJustin »

Sweet project, and well done on the fab and R&D end. I wish I had the time to build a car like that, bust as always I have too many BMW"s. Best of luck, Justin
www.sports-car-restoration.com
INTREPID 1

Post by INTREPID 1 »

An e28 Batmobile! How cool is that. Love the way the new rear quarter panels eliminate the back doors, almost makes it look like a 2 door sedan. Very stealth visual deception. Just out of curiosity what does the car weigh in race trim? Keep up the great creative projects!! BTW guess what will be new wallpaper?
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

INTREPID 1 wrote:Just out of curiosity what does the car weigh in race trim?
There was an earlier post in the lobby with the specs: "The car is based on a M535i from 1987, all windows and sheet metal is more or less converted into plastics, and the weight today is around 1100 kg. Engine is from E34 M5, the 3.8 litre 24valve six, with modified electronics pumping out some 365 bhp at 8000 rpm. Rear differential comes from E30 M3 with some different gear rations available.
Struts design and settings is 635CSi Group A Schnitzer and many body panel are from the E9 3.5 CSL that run in IMSA series 1974, ans so is the design of the color scheme. "

1100kg is about 2420lb - pretty darn light for an e28.
Mats Kinnby

Post by Mats Kinnby »

stuartinmn wrote:
INTREPID 1 wrote:Just out of curiosity what does the car weigh in race trim?
There was an earlier post in the lobby with the specs: "The car is based on a M535i from 1987, all windows and sheet metal is more or less converted into plastics, and the weight today is around 1100 kg. Engine is from E34 M5, the 3.8 litre 24valve six, with modified electronics pumping out some 365 bhp at 8000 rpm. Rear differential comes from E30 M3 with some different gear rations available.
Struts design and settings is 635CSi Group A Schnitzer and many body panel are from the E9 3.5 CSL that run in IMSA series 1974, ans so is the design of the color scheme. "

1100kg is about 2420lb - pretty darn light for an e28.
Its true, and the car will be even lighter in future. The rear doors are totally cut out and its just a frame holding a fibre glass door sill in place, almost no metal left at all, all windows are of 3mm lexan plastic and all bodypanels are of composite materials, suspension and chassis mainly of aluminum.

There is however at least another 50 kg (150 lbs) more to reduce and it will be made in near future.

The front wings are about 2-3mm thick and very light, and equipped with the M5 E60 vents, in true CSL Batmobile style :rofl:

Wheels are BBS RS 3-piece 11x16" in front and 12,5x16" in the rear. Light and beautiful.

2ndeagle

Post by 2ndeagle »

Awesome build. First time I ever took the e28 over the e9 in a side by side. :up: