Oil Filter Adapter

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Jordanmilos

Post by Jordanmilos »

I've been looking at the plate for about an hour now, trying to figure out whether I like the whole relocation idea. I think I need to look at my E24 a bit more and figure out if the Trans-Dapt kit is the way to go. I could always modify the plates to accept a spin on filter but then it loses its effectiveness when it comes to running a cooler. The only thing I can think of is making a simplified version for those who never wanted a cooler to begin with and just need a place for senders and sensors. The remote filter idea would make oil changes easier and at the same time, provide a good system to add a cooler to. You could run the cooler after filtration and keep the pressure up. Just thinking aloud here.
Jordanmilos

Re: Sandwich plate adapter

Post by Jordanmilos »

paul burke wrote:
Keep carving , I am anxious to see what you come up with.

I am making a complete replacement billet filter unit and it is a cumbersome task. Yours may be more sell able, as mine starts out with a 4x4x4 chunk of 6061 and will probably cost more than people will want to spend.

Paul
Thanks for the encouragement. I agree on the cost. Once you add the time up, you laugh at your "profit". I'd still much rather do this than bore out throttle bodies, less flaming and more CNC fun :-)
Jordanmilos

finished product

Post by Jordanmilos »

So, here's the final product. I put the senders in to give an idea of what the extra ports can be used for. In this case its oil temp and oil pressure. Hoses are 30in long and at this point, mounting location looks to be on the drivers wheel well. I would envision the coolant expansion tank bracket as a good place.

Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

That looks fantastic. Any estimation on price?
Jordanmilos

Post by Jordanmilos »

Everything you see in the pic will run you $195. Take away the senders and the price comes down to $155. I will include the hardware needed to finish the job. You can use the stock bolt to put it in place but it sticks out a bit. I made a mistake in ordering the replacement bolts and actually got longer ones instead of shorter ones. That however gave me another idea to make these work on the B35 motors as well.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

I'd say that's a good deal.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Is that a remote mount kit so you can use
a spin on?

Is the stock drop in not a good one?
Jordanmilos

Stock is fine

Post by Jordanmilos »

Big Bronze Rim,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not looking to get rich off of these, just covering my expenses and time.

The stock one works just fine. I prefer spin on filters because they facilitate easier oil changes. This also adds the option for an oil cooler as well as the two ports which could run senders or feed lines for the guys out there who have turbos. I can throw in a small oil cooler into the deal if anyone wants one. I'll dig them up and snap some pics. Right now I can offer a complete system minus a couple of feet of hose and some fittings for under $200. Get yourself some senders and gauges and you can have gauges, a remote filter, and an oil cooler for under $300.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

Um where do I put an application, I want one =D
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Cool.
What filter will you use?
Those big "racing" v8 ones would
be sick.

How much longer does it take to
get to operating temp with no thermostat?

Can the oil be overcooled with no thermostat?
thanks.

Will this work for the b35 block?
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

All stock oil and water thermostats are retained in his setup. The device bolts on where the canister normally goes using a similar method, and the oil thermostat is in the housing.

Jeremy
Jordanmilos

Post by Jordanmilos »

I was just about to mention the thermostat bit but Jeremy beat me to it. The oil filter used comes from Ford V8 engines. The most common one is the PH8A from Fram. The one I would recommend using is the Mobil M1-301. You can get them on Fleabay (item #330285359214 at $7 a piece with a minimum order of 6). Its where I get mine from and its half the price versus getting one from Advance Auto for $13. Most of the better filters are made by Champion Labs. This kit will not work on B35 engines, at least not yet. I can make a block off plate with just the fittings, similar to the kit Bruno used to sell on BMWe34.net. I entertained the idea of making this fit a B35 canister as well, I'll see where it goes but the other kit would be at least $15 cheaper.
Last edited by Jordanmilos on Jan 21, 2009 12:26 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

Just occured to me: is there any issue with mounting on a oil cooler vs non-oil cooler equipped car? One bolts in from the top, the other bolts in from the bottom as I remember. Is it as simple as using a nut/bolt for non-cooler equipped cars and a proper length bolt for oil cooler filter heads?

Jeremy
Jordanmilos

You got it.

Post by Jordanmilos »

Yup, simple as that. I provide the copper washers and locknut. I can tell you that when the adapter is mounted, it adds 1.150 inches to the thickness from the lip of the mount. I suppose you coule always fit it and mark the original bolt to see what length you need.
Jordanmilos

Three kits ready to roll

Post by Jordanmilos »

I have three basic kits ready to go at $155. For these first three, I'll drill out the two extra ports any way you want them. I also have two sets of VDO pressure and temp sensors (NEW) for an extra $40 (below my cost). I can install these and give you a head start with gauges. I was also told by my powder coater that he'd be willing to coat them at $22.50 a piece, which is a pretty good deal compared to what he charges me for throttle bodies. I will make more if there is a demand for them, otherwise they'll become another demo part for visitors to stare at when they come through the shop :-)
George

Post by George »

Milos, any pictures of this thing mounted up on the block?
red535t

Post by red535t »

paul burke wrote:Image

Have been making these for a while, this is the one on Ken H's motor. I am going to make a billet spin on filter adapter that bolts in the stock location. It will have in/out ports and provisions for turbo oil, sending units etc. Will post pictures soon.

Paul
out of curiosty and part dumb Q, which of the two oil port's comes directly from the oil pump.
top or bottem??need to locate the turbo oil feed.

cheers marty
e30-m30_kid89

Post by e30-m30_kid89 »

Would this adapter like this allow one to run an oil cooler on a B34? If so I may be interested. Just need to find somewhere to put it....
Jordanmilos

Re: Stock is fine

Post by Jordanmilos »

From my previous post.

This also adds the option for an oil cooler as well as the two ports which could run senders or feed lines for the guys out there who have turbos. I can throw in a small oil cooler into the deal if anyone wants one. I'll dig them up and snap some pics. Right now I can offer a complete system minus a couple of feet of hose and some fittings for under $200. Get yourself some senders and gauges and you can have gauges, a remote filter, and an oil cooler for under $300.

I'll throw some pictures up over the weekend, time permitting.
Bill in MN

filter

Post by Bill in MN »

I should have read further. I'm guessing this won't work with the 745 setup, correct?
Jordanmilos

Re: filter

Post by Jordanmilos »

Bill in MN wrote:I should have read further. I'm guessing this won't work with the 745 setup, correct?
I have a 745 mount and cooler, I will check to make sure. I don't see why it wouldn't as most of the canisters from the early M30's had the same dimensions.
e30-m30_kid89

Post by e30-m30_kid89 »

My apologies, i must've missed that part.

Once i get my setup going and working well, i think this will be a great addition.

now just where to mount it.... between the intercooler, charge pipes and electric fan i'm literally running out of space in and around my engine bay... :shock:
Jordanmilos

B34/B35 adapter plates

Post by Jordanmilos »

I just finished up run of adapter plates similar to Bruno's design. A bit thinker (1.25in) makes it possible to add a feed line or senders. Pics up tomorrow for anyone still interested.
Jordanmilos

Post by Jordanmilos »

Here's one that just came out of the sandblaster. The finish came out rough on the cut edges, I was going full blast with the cutter. They will all probably be powdercoated black or red. Anyone still interested in these?

Badger

Post by Badger »

how much?

What size are the holes? 10an?