Rod's Automobile pages

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
2ndeagle

Rod's Automobile pages

Post by 2ndeagle »

This is by far the most detailed and comprehensive site that I can recall. If he hasn't answered it, a link is provided. No guess work with his advice. A1, first-class Gent' ,IMHO. :alright:

http://www.mye28.com/tech/rods_pages/index.html
RonP

Post by RonP »

I agree. Rod is the type of guy that we should all look to as a role model.
stevgtguy

Post by stevgtguy »

His site is very informative. I think it is awesome that he has owned his E28 since new! I wish I was old enough to be able to say that! :D
johnnye23

Post by johnnye23 »

Rod's page was one of the first links I visited after joining Mye28. I have it bookmarked now, one of the best resources for our cars. Again thanks for sharing all the great info Rod :banana: .
E12driver

Post by E12driver »

Good to see your peers appreciating all your hard work and sharing 52 years of wrenching experience, which doesn't come easily. Not everybody would agree that you're forum role model material, but since I've known you longer (23 years) than anyone else likely to be here, I say your work certainly is a very good start toward being one. Although, you'll have to work on your all too blunt methods and unflinching attitude toward "taking care of business", as you call it. Some of the kids here don't understand that, yet.

Anybody here that gets close to Rod's location, really needs to see his E28 in person, as photos, even as good as Rod takes, doesn't really do it full justice! Thanks, Rod, I do apprecaite your efforts and am proud to know you.
Carl
BudFox

Post by BudFox »

I'm gonna jump in here and add my $0.02 for Rod Paine. Though having never met this fine gentleman, he has never turned away from my emails of inquiry. Not only has he replied to my abundance of confusion and ignorance, but he has taken the time to send very in depth, well-thought out and detailed emails, no different than if he and I were having a face-to-face conversation. Personally, just last week I printed out all of one section of his website and have filed it away in my E28 files just in case something goes wrong and his site (for whatever the reason) isn't available. If I knew what he drank for enjoyment, a bottle/case of it would appear on his doorstep in appreciation and gratitude of the time, effort, and knowledge that he has shared with me. :up:
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Wow, what can I say? To be told that my efforts with with my web site have been valuable, to so many of my peers, is great, thank you. I hope I can keep it valuable, for the new E28 owners who discover it in the future.

I was fortunate to have grown up in a period when automobiles were very important and I was surrounded by people very involved with automobiles who were quick to help and to share their knowledge with me. When I was 16, I worked for Roger McClusky, sweeping up his tire store when I lived in Tucson and hanging around his machine shop and garage. He was a great teacher of doing things right, or not at all and he went on to show that he had the right stuff. When I moved to Santa Monica, I had the good fortune to be shown things by Mark Donohue, Tony Nancy, Lee Titus, the Engler Bros., Keith Black, Doug Stone of Stone, Woods and Cook, the guys from Chrysler Marine and many others who made their living involved in automobile racing. I was just a 20 something weekend warrior compared to their efforts.

But the bottom line is that these guys were quick to share knowledge and always ready to offer help, when asked. I always admired that trait, since it helped me and so many others over the years. My web site is my attempt to share what I've learned and to help in some small way, to pay back all I was given by so many others, over quite a few years. And isn't MyE28.com here to do the same thing?
-Rod
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

a personal observation

Post by BRRV »

Years ago (Rod probably doesn't remember this) he sent me, via email, extensive diagrams, photos and text for a wiring and lighting issue we'd discussed at length, and which, due to my thick-headedness, I was having some difficulty understanding. I was taken aback, as this isn't the norm in the online community, then or now. It's a standard of discourse and care I've tried to emulate in the auto boards I haunt, ever since. Thanks, Rod.

Needless to say, Rods pages are a wonderful source of good, personal information about our cars, and I download the updated pages frequently to my hard drive to make sure I'm never without them. We need more gentlemen of his kind here, and fewer malcontents with big egos who view "one-upsmanship" as a spectator sport.
BimmerJunkie

Post by BimmerJunkie »

I wholeheartedly agree. I've used Rod's pages in the past and also have them bookmarked. I'm planning on using the lighting info when I go to the euro headlight setup. His site is comprehensive and very well done. Thanks much Rod!
I've always been interested in cars - since a kid - but only starting doing more than oil changes when I bought an M635 a few years back. I couldn't afford to pay someone to do all the work on on the M635 so I had to learn. Plus I wanted to learn. Tinkering with these cars is just a good time. I would be lost without sites like Rod's, this site and many, many others. It still amazes me that when I'm in a pickle with something 9 times out of 10 I can get the info I need from sites like these or post a query on mye28 or roadfly and some good soul helps me out. I also believe in paying back so I created a site to document the work I've done on my 3 bimmers. It's not the slickest site but it gets the job done, I think. I hope my site can help some folks out. It's pretty basic stuff, so it won't help you accomplished mechanics out there, but maybe can help a new person getting started.
http://www.scuttlebut.info
RobbieR

Post by RobbieR »

Indeed. Very detailed with clear explainations.

Have any of you seen photos of his workshop? :wow:
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Great website and story Rod...an inspiration. I look forward to following the story on the ezlift.

Leonard
nic_r

Post by nic_r »

Thank you for this resource. I wasn't familiar with Rod's pages, but a quick glance and it's already bookmarked. I'm sure to come back for more.
KingCast

Don't forget Unix Nerd.

Post by KingCast »

Derin

Post by Derin »

Rod has helped me both with his detailed website and personal emailed advice which has always been clear and easy to understand. He's never wearied of my lack of knowledge and skill!

Moreover, he's more often than once given me friendly encouragement when I've made a mistake and feeling p'eed off about it!

Although we never met I regard him as a friend!
c_spargo

Re: Rod's Automobile pages

Post by c_spargo »

I'm amused there's not a link to his SITE in this thread that I can see. Of course, I've looked for 4 seconds and fired off a smart-ass reply, so I'm probably wrong.. :)
2ndeagle wrote:This is by far the most detailed and comprehensive site that I can recall. If he hasn't answered it, a link is provided. No guess work with his advice. A1, first-class Gent' ,IMHO. :alright:
stevgtguy

Post by stevgtguy »

c_spargo wrote:I'm amused there's not a link to his SITE in this thread that I can see. Of course, I've looked for 4 seconds and fired off a smart-ass reply, so I'm probably wrong.. :)
2ndeagle wrote:This is by far the most detailed and comprehensive site that I can recall. If he hasn't answered it, a link is provided. No guess work with his advice. A1, first-class Gent' ,IMHO. :alright:
Here ya go.

Rod's Automobile Pages
waynet

Post by waynet »

I have had the pleasure of meeting both Rod and his wife Shelly. They are two of the nicest people you ever want to meet.
This being my first BMW ever, only owning it three years. He has been very patient with my lack of knowledge.
He has treated me as a friend and colleague.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

c_spargo wrote:I'm amused there's not a link to his SITE in this thread that I can see. Of course, I've looked for 4 seconds and fired off a smart-ass reply, so I'm probably wrong.. :)
If you click the WWW under one of his posts, it takes you to his site.

Jeremy
C.R. Krieger

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Welcome to my world ... :roll:
E12driver

The Little E28 Website That Could

Post by E12driver »

Congrats, Rod, I see your website clicked over 50,000 hits this week. Pretty good for a site meant simply to help a few friends with some how to info and to document your own E28 work. Went quite a bit further than the half dozen projects I remember we originally talked about, 3 years ago, didn't it. That's great. Keep it going old friend.
Carl
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

rodpaine wrote:When I was 16, I worked for Roger McClusky, sweeping up his tire store when I lived in Tucson and hanging around his machine shop and garage.
Rod, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there's a great article in the latest issue (#40) of The Rodder's Journal about Roger McClusky's shop. They included a bunch of pictures from a photo album that had belonged to a fellow named David Palmer who worked there from about 1955 to 1959. He built up several drag cars and a sprint car while he was there. http://www.roddersjournal.com/
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

stuartinmn wrote:
rodpaine wrote:When I was 16, I worked for Roger McClusky, sweeping up his tire store when I lived in Tucson and hanging around his machine shop and garage.
Rod, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there's a great article in the latest issue (#40) of The Rodder's Journal about Roger McClusky's shop. They included a bunch of pictures from a photo album that had belonged to a fellow named David Palmer who worked there from about 1955 to 1959. He built up several drag cars and a sprint car while he was there. http://www.roddersjournal.com/
My Dad was friends with David Palmer. He hasn't read that issue yet. It's still in the mailer. I'll tell him to look at it.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

stuartinmn wrote:
Wow! No, I hadn't heard about this article, but I have just ordered it online. Yes, I think I remember David, but it was a long time ago. Hope my copy gets here soon and maybe I show-up in a photo or two in the background, or being the pest that I was, always asking questions. Look for a skinny kid with a broom. :D

Many thanks for the info on this!
-Rod
Hunter has a Bimmer3

Post by Hunter has a Bimmer3 »

The best auto related website. When I look at I end browsing longer than planned.