How can I open the hood...

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Nana535i

How can I open the hood...

Post by Nana535i »

from the outside? My cable is broken. Thanks.
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Oh, I've been doing this for a few months now.

1) Remove driver's side grille. You may be able to get it out without breaking it (I was), but maybe not. No biggie, grilles are cheap. Bust it if you have to.

2) Look under the hood lip between the two headlights. You'll see a tab attached to the hood release mechanism. Put in a long screwdriver, pry tab towards drivers side, hood will release.

-tammer
Nana535i

Post by Nana535i »

Thanks Tammer, you're a lifesaver.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

This tip needs to be added to the Tech FAQ area. Seems to be more occurences with the cold weather!
C.R. Krieger

Post by C.R. Krieger »

John in VA wrote:This tip needs to be added to the Tech FAQ area. Seems to be more occurences with the cold weather!
A good idea. If you're writing it, maybe add some photos of the release and mention it as good preventive maintenance to clean and lube the whole latch mechanism.
ChefShawn

Post by ChefShawn »

maybe we can post what to do if your wire has snapped, how to set it up so it can easily be opened.

~S
a

Post by a »

didnt Rod Paine or somebody develope a hook for this process?
jonny

Post by jonny »

One time I had to go even further and come up from underneath the bumper with a long extension and remove the hood catch bolts from the hood!!! PITA!!!!!
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Here's a technique I posted last year to use to open the hood when the cable breaks.

1. First step is to make a simple tool. This bent metal rod started life as a gardening or plant stake. I clamped one end in a vise and made the two bends you see here. The bend near the tip is a right angle; the second bend is about 4 inches behind that as pictured. This allows the end of the bent rod to be used to pull on the driver's side hood latch, and to push on the passenger's side hood latch. There is no need to remove any grille or headlight parts.

To open the latch on the driver's side, insert the tool as pictured here.

The tool is inserted in the space just above the left outer headlight, and angled slightly upwards.

The end of the tool is used to hook the driver's side hood latch as shown here. It's pretty easy to do this by feel. Once the latch is hooked, give a pull, and that side of the hood will pop open slightly.

To open the passenger side of the hood, insert the tool just above the outer right headlight. The tool will be used to push on the latch, as shown in the next two pictures.

And the hood is open. Time to bend a metal rod for the job is less than 5 minutes. A straight tool will not work, as can be appreciated from the photos. Once you have made one of these simple tools, you'll be able to open any e28 hood in less than 10 seconds.

The best time to make the tool is while you still have access to your car's open hood. You'll be able to bend the tool and see how it works, so that later when the hood cable breaks you'll be able to picture what it does under the closed hood.

If anyone is interested, I also have a technique to open a locked e28 trunk lid in about 15 seconds.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Tammer in Philly wrote:Oh, I've been doing this for a few months now.

1) Remove driver's side grille. You may be able to get it out without breaking it (I was), but maybe not. No biggie, grilles are cheap. Bust it if you have to.

2) Look under the hood lip between the two headlights. You'll see a tab attached to the hood release mechanism. Put in a long screwdriver, pry tab towards drivers side, hood will release.

-tammer
Tammer,

There is no need to bust things on your car to get the hood to open. A bit of finesse is all that's needed.
jonny

Post by jonny »

RetiredDoc wrote: There is no need to bust things on your car to get the hood to open. A bit of finesse is all that's needed.
Sometimes it makes for interesting conversation though!! :banana:

Saab 900S alternator replacement:

Lots of heat at your feet, now that Winter is setting in!! :rofl:

Reservoir repair as a result of busting it during alternator replacement:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
hugh1850

Post by hugh1850 »

MyE28.com never ceases to amaze me. Just about anytime have a problem (today my passenger side hood latch would not release) it has been discussed here at length and typically a member has provided a unique and creative solution along with detailed descriptions and pics. Thanks again for being a great community. I am happy to be a part of it. :alright:
RetiredDoc

Re: How can I open the hood...

Post by RetiredDoc »

Nana535i wrote:from the outside? My cable is broken. Thanks.
A search here would have produced this thread.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=25 ... light=hood
MShimon

Re: How can I open the hood...

Post by MShimon »

Hello group, I am resurrecting an old thread as I have a passenger hood latch that won't release. I made the tool as suggested, however without being able to see anything it just isn't happening. I haven't attempted to remove the grill yet.

My battery has unfortunately died (have a new one) and I need to move by the end of the month. Is there anyone in the Seattle, WA area that would be able to assist me or has done this job before? Thank you.