2023 M30 Turbo Engine Build

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
M. Holtmeier

2023 M30 Turbo Engine Build

Post by M. Holtmeier »

It's been over ten years since I've posted any meaningful content of my own here.

I'm in the break-in stages of my most recent M30 turbo engine build. This one is a fully forged bottom end with 9:1 DP pistons and PPF rods. I wanted to add piston cooling nozzles to this build, and while I was ok with machining a B34 block, I found a local M106 to use instead. Long story short, I ended up going through a couple of blocks to find one that didn't have rusted out cylinders. Maybe I should've machined a B34, hind-sight is 20/20. Once I had a good useable block, the machine shop went to work roto-blasting the crap off and working their magic. Ever since I moved to North Texas, I was on the hunt for a good machine shop. I found a really interesting place in Alvarado called Engineered Performance Racing. They cater to the Nissan crowd, and when I dropped all my stuff off, he was finishing a build on an NPT90 twin turbo v6 engine from one of the 1990 IMSA GT cars.

The work done on the block includes torque plate bore and hone, deck and line-hone. The crank was polished, the rods were checked and honed to match the pins and crank and the reciprocating assembly was balanced. Everything was blueprinted and assembled after cleaning and painting of the block. New piston coolers from BMW were installed, along with a double row timing set and new chain. The oil pump was spec'd and rebuilt with all new internal components from BMW.

The head needs no introduction; a fully CNC ported piece from Paul Burke. The cam is the same PB turbo cam I purchased from him directly about 10 years ago. All new valve springs were checked and fitted, as well as the rest of the valvetrain- all per PB specs. I basically replaced everything but the rocker arms and followed the same setup procedure he outlined when I first installed the cam way back in the day. The exhaust ports were much larger than B35 exhaust gaskets, and it was no easy task gasket matching that side of the engine. The b35 intake is tiny in comparison to the intake ports, and this engine will most likely need different induction at some point. For now, I want to see numbers from the flipped LS TB B35 intake. Oh, and I'm sure staged injection to run E85 at full boost will definitely be required. But, for now, we're going to see what the B35 does on a dyno so I have some data to compare to.

Everything on the engine was vapor honed, plated, cerakoted, painted, custom made or replaced. I don't feel like I could build a newer engine than this, at least one setup with the proven driveability and reliability this one has given me for so many years and miles. My only regret is not driving the car more between revisions or improvements, but we are a full decade on with what started as a side project car that was my winter beater.

Finally getting around to the MRT Engineering crank hub and adapter to use an ATI Super Damper was a fun project, for sure. Adapting an OE quality serpentine drive on this engine was no walk in the park. While several of the components are off-the-shelf BMW parts, using them meant lots of machine work. The goal was to have a slack side tensioner, idler between p/s and alt- all while retaining side-of-the-road serviceability. The only part you can't buy that would fail, is the alternator. My particular setup did not allow for a serpentine drive a/c compressor, since my aftermarket radiator doesn't give me the space needed. So there is a V-belt pulley that looks ugly by covering up the ATI damper, so it was left off for the photo shoot. Don't worry, there's no blue tooth A/C on the car. There is still room for improvement with this setup, like a pad mount alternator maybe, but it is working as intended and I am currently developing this system further for anyone interested in this as a kit.

Other than a brand new super core Borg Warner SX366E turbo, most of the forced induction hardware is unchanged. The turbo manifold is a Rapid Spool twin scroll that Otis made. I've capped off the wastegate port and moved it to the turbine housing. I also cut the flange into 2 banks and milled the surface to prevent leaks. Precision Turbo wastegate into an open dump that's seen about 40k miles and sounds fantastic. ID1000 injectors and my own custom -8 fuel rail, Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a Radium surge tank with two Aeromotive 340 pumps. MS3X runs it all with closed loop idle and EGO that makes the MS1 days seem like carbs.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of details about everything that's gone into this setup over the years. Just ask about anything not covered.

To get the car driving, and out of curiosity, I assembled the Tilton clutch to use the stock master and slave cyl, like I had for many years. Since I like the idea of stock-like driveability, I'm adding a 6200 series Tilton hydraulic release bearing into the bell housing of the G265 trans. Since the pilot shaft tube has more girth than King Kong, no off-the-shelf bearing would slide over it. I had a new pilot tube made with a more industry-standard size. Since this tube simply replaces the stock tube, it is fully reversible. The piston area of the HRB is matched to the stock clutch master cylinder, so I'm expecting a smooth pedal feel. A co-worker has confirmed it with experience using this HRB, so fingers crossed.

I'll dive into more about the engine and car in later updates, and be sure to add plenty of pics. For now I just wanted to poke my head in and say Hi to this forum that lead me on such a great automotive journey.

Previous engine:

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: 2023 M30 Turbo Engine Build

Post by Shawn D. »

DROOL!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing this latest version of this sexy beast in person!
Dirtym30

Post by Dirtym30 »

What a beautiful car.

Nice work
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

Shawn D. wrote: Jan 16, 2023 1:21 PM I'm looking forward to seeing this latest version of this sexy beast in person!

I'm planning on making it to The Vintage this year. Are you going?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

M. Holtmeier wrote: Jan 16, 2023 6:28 PM
Shawn D. wrote: Jan 16, 2023 1:21 PM I'm looking forward to seeing this latest version of this sexy beast in person!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159472 :\
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Seems like some of us have come creeping back after so many years. I'll make sure not to take pictures of mine, it's not going to look like this.
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

turbodan wrote: Jan 17, 2023 11:36 AM Seems like some of us have come creeping back after so many years. I'll make sure not to take pictures of mine, it's not going to look like this.
Post pics, please.

I got sick of the regular social media sites full of of first time adventurers telling me "X" part or setup won't work, then explaining how it went 10 years and 50k miles without issue.
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

Nice job! what a beatiful car.
Are yoiu going to dyno?
athayer187

Post by athayer187 »

I love it when projects like this peek out of the shadows with epic pictures. Fantastic build.
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

marc79euro645 wrote: Jan 17, 2023 7:23 PM Nice job! what a beatiful car.
Are yoiu going to dyno?
Definitely. The new engine configuration required a complete retune. It will probably be another month of street tuning before I hit the rollers.
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

Holy metric cheesecake testicles that's beautiful.

Please give me wheel/tire specs.

Also, tell me more about the LS throttle body. Do you mean a TB off of a GM LSx engine?
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 23, 2023 2:37 PM Holy metric cheesecake testicles that's beautiful.

Please give me wheel/tire specs.

Also, tell me more about the LS throttle body. Do you mean a TB off of a GM LSx engine?
I just saw your other thread resurrection...

I'm using a GM cable driven throttle body found on 1998-2002 various gm 5.3l engines. I do this because it houses the IAC and TPS in a nice package, I also prefer the 4 wire gm stepper over a PWM IAC. There are adapter plates for these throttles out there that allow the proper function of air bypass for the IAC, and all I do is cut the perimeter for the plate and TIG it into place. Doing that allows for a forward tilt of the TB, which makes it easier to get a boot on. I have made and sold these intake manifolds for other people in the past. I also make a relocated surge tank for the coolant and fuel rails to fit standard height injectors without interfering with the thermostat housing.
iamcreepingdeath

M. Holtmeier wrote: Jan 26, 2023 12:23 PM I just saw your other thread resurrection...

I'm using a GM cable driven throttle body found on 1998-2002 various gm 5.3l engines. I do this because it houses the IAC and TPS in a nice package, I also prefer the 4 wire gm stepper over a PWM IAC. There are adapter plates for these throttles out there that allow the proper function of air bypass for the IAC, and all I do is cut the perimeter for the plate and TIG it into place. Doing that allows for a forward tilt of the TB, which makes it easier to get a boot on. I have made and sold these intake manifolds for other people in the past. I also make a relocated surge tank for the coolant and fuel rails to fit standard height injectors without interfering with the thermostat housing.
Ok, so you can eliminate the factory IAC valve/motor thing, and use the GM TB to do that? How do you get the fwd tilt of the TB? A wedge-shaped adapter plate? Or does the TB have a built-in angle? And where do you get these adapter plates? What adapter plates are you referring to? Also, I assume you need the megasquirt to run the GM TB and built in IAC?

I have a 5.3 sitting in my garage at home, i'll take a look when I get home.

When you tig on the adapter plate to the intake mani, do you get any warping/flexing of the adapter plate? I haven't tried doing that yet, and I am worried about that.
angry_ass_official

Post by angry_ass_official »

Great work man! Hope you make it to TexFest so we can see it in person, sure its a monster!

- Burro Grande
www.Angry-Ass.com
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

W O W ! ! !

Your car is a bunch of negative adjectives used in a positive manner, as well as a slew of cusswords mixed in for good measure. I really like it.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

No photos of the ported pb head!!?? :evil:
iamcreepingdeath

M. Holtmeier wrote: Jan 26, 2023 12:23 PM
Why do you prefer the GM stepper IAC over the BMW PWM IAC? This sounds very intriguing, I may have to do this myself. Do you have more pics of the detail of the TB install?

Thanks again
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I tip my hat to you good sir! One helluva build and a long road travelled. :pimp:
Your ride reminds me of how much work I have left on my own.
Philo

Post by Philo »

Beautifully detailed work. Very nice. Although I do like the silver valve cover over black.
cprojects

Post by cprojects »

Work of Art I just started my build last year first time with micro squirt and working things out just need a clutch 😂 what torq or hp numbers you looking at? I’m at 550 on pump but I’m scared of my getrag 260 5speed😂 You have YouTube video on car?
iamcreepingdeath

cprojects wrote: Dec 12, 2023 8:14 PM Work of Art I just started my build last year first time with micro squirt and working things out just need a clutch 😂 what torq or hp numbers you looking at? I’m at 550 on pump but I’m scared of my getrag 260 5speed😂 You have YouTube video on car?
I must know more about your 550 hp on pump gas and microsquirt setup.
Panici

Post by Panici »

...with what started as a side project car that was my winter beater.
:rofl:
I've done that once or twice, but certainly haven't gone this far with them!

Think I had to pick my jaw off the desk after seeing these pics!

Stunning engine, would look at home in a museum.
But glad it's in an E28 so you can enjoy the noises it must make. Any chance for a sound clip?

What coating did you use on the exhaust pipes? Did you coat the hot side of the turbo as well?
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

M. Holtmeier wrote: Jan 16, 2023 6:28 PM

OK, this is one *powerful* argument to attend The Vintage this year (Like I needed one)
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

I need to update this thread with pics and video.

Since the engine went in a year ago, the turbo manifold that was installed in 2016 (built in 2012) cracked. I built a completely new ss sch10 exhaust manifold using a CNC billet stainless turbo flange. I also decided to downsize the turbo a bit and replaced the 66mm BW s366sxe with an FIS built BW 64mm and a smaller turbine. To answer the question about exhaust coatings; the old setup had Cerakote on the exh manifold and downpipes. Now it's all bare stainless.

I've finished other things on the car ass-swell(TM).

The Blaupunkt Berlin IQR88 tape deck is installed with a full stand alone sound system, 3 amplifiers, Luke Box, and running Bluetooth streaming in parallel.

Stay tuned for pics!

-or-

Go to my IG page _hturbo_
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

So here's the new turbo setup, I haven't had much time to drive or tune it. Once the weather shapes up a little I'll get back on this with video and dyno numbers. So far, though, it spools much quicker and has more of a 24v feel at boost levels below the threshold. I'll update this thread with more data and screenshots of the logs.

Side note: the Alpina styled a/c condenser enclosure behind the left headlight is now coated in 20% gloss powder for a more OE look.
(Yes, that WAS a brand new OEM hood pad. I have a new material going in its place, but it requires water jet cutting once I get the file made.)

I've always had issues with the stock gaskets blowing out, and this was part of the issue with losing boost response that wasn't solely isolated to the manifold splitting open. I made some exhaust gaskets out of Remflex and used locking bolts to secure the assembly. Here's a couple of pics of that and the wastegate being routed back into the exhaust. I also added a flex tube to the downpipe and attached to DP to the engine, much like BMW does with their turbo engines all the way back to the N20/N55.

And, lastly, here's some pics of the stereo setup and an Alpina tribute boost control knob that went in. (Working on a better knob to replace the pointer style)