E28 Jerking in 4th-5th once off throttle

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
thugginrobby

E28 Jerking in 4th-5th once off throttle

Post by thugginrobby »

Another question for my fellow e28 mates.

Just starting driving my e28 again and while in 5th gear just cruising, I let off the gas and suddenly my car almost chokes and starts slowing down. I figure it’s actually the engine braking and not the drivetrain. Only really does this in 4th and 5th gear so anyone have similar experiences?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: E28 Jerking in 4th-5th once off throttle

Post by Shawn D. »

The fuel is cut when the throttle is closed and RPM is above ~1,100. In contrast to your situation, it has always made my 535i jerky at slow speeds, such as trying to drive slowly in a parking lot.

Try adjusting the idle switch position.
thugginrobby

Post by thugginrobby »

I did, i’m saying when i’m on the freeway cruising, once I let off throttle going like 80mph. The car jerks back and starting slowing down rather fast
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

I understand you said it was at speed, which is why I said "In contrast..."

It's hard to understand what you mean by "starting slowing down rather fast." It slows down faster than taking your foot completely off the throttle?
thugginrobby

Post by thugginrobby »

Hey, sorry about that. The easiest way I can say it is, once i’m off throttle, the car slows down then theres a slight chuck that happens, which causes the car to slow down drastically faster than it should as opposed to just being in neutral.
Fedaykin528e

Post by Fedaykin528e »

Sounds like it may be operating normally, typically when I let off throttle there's a clunk because there's some play somewhere in my driveline. Then it does decelerate because it's in gear... a lot of mechanical drag especially in old cars. And it does not happen in neutral?

Unless you're experiencing more like slamming on the brakes - not sure what that would be. You think you could video it?
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Shawn D. wrote: Jan 22, 2023 8:05 AM The fuel is cut when the throttle is closed and RPM is above ~1,100. In contrast to your situation, it has always made my 535i jerky at slow speeds, such as trying to drive slowly in a parking lot.

Try adjusting the idle switch position.
All these past years I thought it was my crappy driving that caused bucking and jerking at parking lot speeds. The only way I found to control it was to stay in first, use higher RPM and ride the clutch. It’s finally nice to know there is a mechanical cause, though I still don’t understand fully how it works. Thanks.