Turbocharger options?

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Spaz!

Turbocharger options?

Post by Spaz! »

Hey guys it looks like my turbocharger is getting ready to let go. Are there any drop in replacements? Maybe a CHRA.

Are there any updated or improved options? Not looking to increase performance, just keep it running smooth and steady.
SherlockCholms10

Re: Turbocharger options?

Post by SherlockCholms10 »

They are journal bearing turbos, just rebuild it and it’ll be good for another hundred k miles.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I think its a Garrett TD-03? Should be bearing and seal kits available for that for not much cash if the wheels aren't banged up. Make sure the oil feed lines are clear too. Not sure if this has a screen on the inlet or not but if it is, be sure its clear.
TimeMerchant

Post by TimeMerchant »

I sent mine to get rebuilt by Bell Turbo here in Oregon. It was a few hundred dollars, rebuild kits are not hard to come by but I did not want to mess with it this time. I am upgrading to a WH1C or HX 35 but from what I understand EGTs and your head gasket/bolts are going to become a problem before the OE turbo does. The OE turbo is fine, it's no race car but the car is not exactly slow. keep it simple and make it last!

Some say don't intercool, some say do, I am on team intercooled. I am following Metric Mechanics 524td build Teddy Rowe Show on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUH6bY3 ... _jLEpshvlr
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

boost it too much and you also have the head itself to worry about. They are prone to cracking in the precombustion chambers.

personally I don't see how intercooling could be a bad thing. Increase the air density, knock the charge air temp down and you can add a little more fuel. More fuel is more power. I'm not doing it with mine just because I don't want to deal with the plumbing. If there was an air to water unit that I could fit in place of the crossover pipe without it looking terrible I'd go for that I think.