Restored M5 F/S

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
gray635

Restored M5 F/S

Post by gray635 »

I just stumbled up on this ad for a VSR-restored M5. Anyone know this car? Looks pretty nice and not ridiculously priced, if as advertised. N/A, obviously.

https://www.issimi.com/collections/buy/ ... 8-bmw-m5-1
Mdreamer

Re: Restored M5 F/S

Post by Mdreamer »

W O W ! ! !
ahab

Post by ahab »

Meh. $82k grand seems quite a reach for a tarted up 165k mile car. Stunningly restored? Ahem...melted front grille, ZHP shift knob, messed up tool kit, missing tailpipe extenders, no engine numbers. Couldn't even bother to put the correct engine info for an NA car in the ad. Car looks nice and some money was surely dropped on redoing the seats and dash, and the OUTSIDE of the engine bay stuff certainly looks purty but more details about what's going on there are sorely missing, and that other nonsense has no business on an $82k ask. Thumbnail pics of "Signs Of Damage" under the car? Say no more, squire, say no more!
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

ahab wrote: Aug 02, 2022 7:58 PM Meh. $82k grand seems quite a reach for a tarted up 165k mile car. Stunningly restored? Ahem...melted front grille, ZHP shift knob, messed up tool kit, missing tailpipe extenders, no engine numbers. Couldn't even bother to put the correct engine info for an NA car in the ad. Car looks nice and some money was surely dropped on redoing the seats and dash, and the OUTSIDE of the engine bay stuff certainly looks purty but more details about what's going on there are sorely missing, and that other nonsense has no business on an $82k ask. Thumbnail pics of "Signs Of Damage" under the car? Say no more, squire, say no more!
THIS!
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I do not disagree with your take, ahab, but that car sure is a looker!
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Ahad makes some very valid points. The engine bay and trunk (look at the compounding residue in the jack storage area) are surprisingly shabby and the "PPI" (in quotes, since the selling dealer is hardly unbiased) reveals some primarily cosmetic needs. Not the least of which are all the window seals and less than perfect rubber on the M-Tech rear spoiler. And front end shimmy in the classic e28/e24 style. Strange all this didn't get sorted during the VSR restoration. One would think Mario would have done better than this, given the work was supposedly completed in 2019-20. No invoice to support any of this on the F/S listing.

But this does appear to be a pretty good start, with most of the heavy lifting completed. Outside of EAG, it is getting extremely difficult to find e28 M5s in decent condition. Much less with a euro bumper conversion.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

I really don't think this qualifies as a "really good start".

If the owner has polished a turd, so that those who are not expert in these cars miss all the things ahab pointed out, then a sucker with $82k will be found.

I hate ads that are trying to fool me. It tells me something about the seller, which is usually: no way will I do business with such a person.

Just my 2 cents.
ahab

Post by ahab »

In fairness, Mike said a "pretty" good start. However, the rest of what you said is spot on. The seller should have put as much effort into correcting the low hanging fruit items and posting actual specifics on the health of the engine as they did into creating a "dream ad" designed to obfuscate some of the more important details and fool a prospective buyer into thinking this car was the real deal. It's more expensive than pretty much every other one, it has to be worth it.

If you want a good laugh, google the VIN. I guess when they didn't get the $99k previously asked, they figured dumping money into a better ad was a more logical way to increase the car's value. It was a $27k FL car 5 years ago and it looks like it went to NJ from there, where it got the ZHP knob, a coolant tank and a billy boat, but there is no record of that sale price. So for $55k more than it sold for on BaT you lose the billy boat but you do get some bumpers and a melted grill which don't even belong on the car, a Just Dashes dash, and a "less-hokey" gear shift knob. Oh, and the coolant tank. And I hope those aren't they same "high quality leatherette seats" that were put in a few years back. Given the way the rest of the cars provenance is presented, my guess is that they probably are... No comment on the VSR involvement.

Granted, they are getting harder to find but statements like this do not usually appears in ads for actual $82k M5s either.

"The driver’s front door and fender were replaced prior to the paintwork due to rust issues".

I'm not trying to beat up on the OP, I too just get incensed when I see this type of dumbfuckery in advertising.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

I sit corrected. "Pretty good start". Sorry about that. I, too, do not wish to disparage OP either. Another "no comment" on VSR.
reesesboot

Post by reesesboot »

Looks pretty nice, but this is not a full restoration that could warrant the asking price. Just look under the car. They didn't even weld in a euro tail panel during the conversion. I believe they are NLA, but something surely could have been done or soured if they're spending so much money and asking for even more. Not to mention the old rubber all around. Car is worth half (or less) of what they're asking.
Grande Royal

Post by Grande Royal »

Euro’d N.A. M5’s = sad. Leave them unmolested in all their diving board glory! Just my .02 ;)
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

ahab wrote: Aug 02, 2022 7:58 PM Meh. $82k grand seems quite a reach for a tarted up 165k mile car. Stunningly restored? Ahem...melted front grille, ZHP shift knob, messed up tool kit, missing tailpipe extenders, no engine numbers. Couldn't even bother to put the correct engine info for an NA car in the ad. Car looks nice and some money was surely dropped on redoing the seats and dash, and the OUTSIDE of the engine bay stuff certainly looks purty but more details about what's going on there are sorely missing, and that other nonsense has no business on an $82k ask. Thumbnail pics of "Signs Of Damage" under the car? Say no more, squire, say no more!
Not looking to pile on, but a few things I see: With the euro bumper conversion, they retained the US rear valance (odd choice if you're spending that kind of coin), the amount and texture of the orange peel on the leading edge of the hood tells me the repaint isn't that great, orange peel on the trunk lid under the spoiler is even worse, right front door is hung poorly, front bumper is sittling wonky, way wrong breather hose from valve cover to ITBs, sensor bracket that should be mounted to the cowl cover in the engine bay is missing and something seems to have been done with the sensor wiring/connectors (maybe I missed some info about engine management changes?), the oil fill cap is wrong?, the diagnostic plug is missing its cap and the mounting bridge isn't even connectected to the AFM -- ah, I see now, fuel management upgraded to "Maxx Alpha N" -- fair enough, but that should mean that you'd want to integrate the new parts into the existing structure better: put a bracket on the air pipe to mount the diagnostic plug mounting bridge, fab a new mounting bracket for the cowl wall to act as a wiring loom so that you can route the wiring in the same spot as is traditional.

Given the respray, and depending on what the new owner's goals are, I'm not sure this is a great starting point. It's hard, time-consuming & expensive to correct bad paint jobs. And if I were that new owner, I'd want to dig into the euro bumper conversion pretty hard. But that's just me.
RMP

Post by RMP »

I"m a purist as far as the original M5 goes, but what an inspection and with pictures! Too tired for me, and those speaker grills from and back are just the wrong color - how do you lose the original ones. The inspection check lights remaining on, too much.
Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »

Oh no, they’re not asking $82k, they’re asking $89k. The $82 is what they are claiming to have spent on this restoration…
“having been extensively restored at a cost of nearly $82,000 in 2019-2020.”
If we are to believe that, I hope for their sake they purchased it for about $0.
mulloyd

Post by mulloyd »

Tough crowd on this board. Would love to see what all the critics are driving on a daily basis, must be amazing cars!
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

mulloyd wrote: Aug 10, 2022 8:07 PM Tough crowd on this board. Would love to see what all the critics are driving on a daily basis, must be amazing cars!
Oh, hell no! I put euro stuff on my US car. I have enuf pitchfork scars.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Few thoughts, in addition to what has been said and to the the [ICONIC, STUNNING, SUPERB] tone of the ad:

1. Controversial opinion: I fail to see what's wrong with the ZHP shift knob. I don't like it, I don't think it's appropriate or even period-correct, but come to think of it, it is probably the most honest tidbit in the entire ad...
2. Credit where it's due: Some detailer went to town on the car, and some photographer made sure the car made sweet love to the camera. The photos are boudoir-quality, whew it's steamy in there.
3. Downside to that is, I don't understand the point of taking SEVEN (7) sexy pictures of an incomplete tool tray.
3a. [btw, where are the pictures of the trunk, and the jack storage area, and the bottom of the car? I wasn't able to see them...]
4. The shiny bright window-washing fluid reservoir, sans 30-plus years of crud on its inside wall and without the orange sticker cracked to an inch of its existence, makes for a too-white body within the engine bay - it's too distracting, almost blinding.
5. HEY, at least the dash is not cracked, and the seats look okay. (is the M5 dash supposed to look like that, without the tray subdivided into 3 compartments on the passenger side? It looks... a bit shallow as well, no?)
6. I can't believe someone sank [whatever money] into this car and didn't add rear headrests, smh.
7. The front end, off-center droopy bumper(?) valance (?) is an ABSOLUTE CRIME. It can't not have been noticed by at least 4 or 5 people before the ad went online, and yet they went along with it.
8. This may be the nitpickiest of all, but: Are the door latch surrounds on US-issue M5s black and not upholstery color? (Natur, correct?) Please chalk this one up to ignorance on my end.
Etip

Post by Etip »

My gripe is that God awful picture transition in the ad that doesn't let you just quickly scroll through the pictures.
Last edited by Etip on Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Guy who wrote the ad is a member here. Not active anymore.

psportoveloce
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Before I begin, moderator, please place this in the appropriate section if it is inappropriate here.

The way you all roasted this car is why I stopped enjoying selling cars. Granted, I never priced anything I had to offer at the top of the market, but the last time I listed a car in this space was in 2006. I was the second owner of a 1988 535is that's sold to me with 175,xxx on the clock, and I'd had every suspension component and element of the cooling system replaced with new factory parts. Cosmetically, I'd had the BBS RZs that were fitted on the car by the dealer when it was new restored, fitted new tires, and had the cardinal front seats that were severely cracked replaced with another used set that was in much better condition. When I listed the car, I was honest about the clear coat on the lachsilbber having faded, the radio antenna not going all the way down when it was turned off, and the car needing a rear muffler in my ad. With 206,000 miles on the clock in the uncracked dash, I listed the car for $6,500. Although there were not people flaming my ad overtly and ruthlessly in the fashion that this one has been, I was very surprised to have had individuals from the forum offering offensively low amounts, or, never offering, but badgering me about details concerning the car without ever wanting to take the steps to look at the car in person. While I understand wanting to make sure one is not handing over cash to someone with a plan of dashing in mind, it was very disappointing to have to deal with individuals who had no other intention but to paint me as a person who knew nothing about the product that I was selling, and a foolish liar at the same time.

That was the last e28 I've had in my stable until the current one I have now, so I have not had a chance to list another car to date. Yet and still, that experience led to me being less forthcoming when it comes to gatherings, the selling of parts, and even simple conversations amongst the group. Fortunately, this isn't the case with the entire population of our fold, but I'd be willing to offer that there are definitely cliques that are more remarkably more exclusive than others when it comes to evaluating cars in this space.

For the record, I am not complaining--I've drawn my conclusions and I deal with individuals based on my perspective around here. My goal was to provide a point of reference for anyone willing to read this far. Whatever we thought about the car that was in the original post, would it have been so objectionable not say anything at all if we couldn't say anything positive? On the flip side of the coin, I've witnessed some online celebrations of cars that have been distasteful in some form or another, but have been lauded as the best thing since sliced bread because the owner was part of "the crew."

Rant over. :D
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Etip wrote: Aug 23, 2022 11:47 PM My grip is that God awful picture transition in the ad that doesn't let you just quickly scroll through the pictures.
LOL. This ^^^ is all of us