Anodizing Windshield Trim

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
hunneman

Anodizing Windshield Trim

Post by hunneman »

can anyone recommend a shop that does refinishing and or anodizing windshield trim..

I have the lower front and back windshield trim that need to be refinished..
I have purchased the new trim but it does not fit..

any suggestions are welcome.

thank you
stuartinmn

Re: Anodizing Windshield Trim

Post by stuartinmn »

I'd check locally, rather than trying to ship them somewhere. You're near Boston, I looked at Google and found a number of anodizing shops in the area.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

stuartinmn wrote: Jun 13, 2022 9:53 PM I'd check locally, rather than trying to ship them somewhere. You're near Boston, I looked at Google and found a number of anodizing shops in the area.
This is the best advice. You will need to interact directly with the shop. You will want to not add shipping to the equation.

One thing: take some measurements on the items you will have anodized before you call. I tried to get a US-spec bumper re-anodized, and no one had an anodizer that would fit the bumper. You need to know this first. Good luck. (and no, I never found someone in NY/NJ that could accommodate the bumper. I gave up, for now.)
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Look into having it all ceramic coated after the re-anodizing. This will add a lot more protection in the long run so you don't have to worry about this for a long time.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

stuartinmn wrote: Jun 13, 2022 9:53 PM I'd check locally, rather than trying to ship them somewhere. You're near Boston, I looked at Google and found a number of anodizing shops in the area.
I have check 4 shops in my Area from google, one doesn't do small quantity projects, other lost there tech during covid..one is out 1 year..
I contacted Speedway Polishing and Coating, they don't do polishing any longer just coating..it an FYI to the board.
OcCoupe

Post by OcCoupe »

vinceg101 wrote: Jun 14, 2022 11:14 AM Look into having it all ceramic coated after the re-anodizing. This will add a lot more protection in the long run so you don't have to worry about this for a long time.
You’ll have much better luck having the trim piece polished and then ceramic coated. It is pointless to anodize and ceramic coat. In addition polishing yields better results than a anodize. It’s also hard to find a shop that will properly anodize aluminum.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

OcCoupe wrote: Jun 23, 2022 11:12 PM
You’ll have much better luck having the trim piece polished and then ceramic coated. It is pointless to anodize and ceramic coat. In addition polishing yields better results than a anodize. It’s also hard to find a shop that will properly anodize aluminum.
Mike, I haven't seen you here in ages, how have you been?
OcCoupe

Post by OcCoupe »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 24, 2022 12:32 AM
Great Mike, thank you! How have you been?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

vinceg101 wrote: Jun 14, 2022 11:14 AM Look into having it all ceramic coated after the re-anodizing. This will add a lot more protection in the long run so you don't have to worry about this for a long time.
Yes, you're correct (I mis-typed that). This is what I had done with all mine via Speedway Polishing in Santa Ana, CA.

Howdy, Mike :wave:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

OcCoupe wrote: Jun 24, 2022 9:28 AM
Mike W. wrote: Jun 24, 2022 12:32 AM
Great Mike, thank you! How have you been?
Very good, just frustrated by this Covid era.
OcCoupe

Post by OcCoupe »

vinceg101 wrote: Jun 24, 2022 11:38 AM

Howdy, Mike :wave:
Hi Vince!!!🥰
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Would you guys get a room
OcCoupe