Tire Rack and Discount Tire Merging

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
vinceg101

Tire Rack and Discount Tire Merging

Post by vinceg101 »

Well, more like Discount Tire has bought Tire Rack and folding them into their "ominchannel" universe (whatever that means):
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... fZJqtnsWuw
Mike W.

Re: Tire Rack and Discount Tire Merging

Post by Mike W. »

great. Always nice to see a once good company to do business with, merge (get bought by) with a truly low end one. I did do business once or twice with Americas tire and wasn't really happy either time.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I'm apprehensive about this sale too. There are a couple discussions over on the Grassroots Motorsports board about this.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 766/page1/
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 764/page1/

GRM management posted that they were called by their contact at Tire Rack, reassuring them that their serving the enthusiast market will remain:

Woody from Tire Rack just called Tim--apologized for not calling sooner, but he's had a crazy week (ya think)? He said Tire Rack's top management structure remains unchanged, as well as their commitment to the enthusiast market--including advertising pages and relationship with GRM (yay!).

So it does not seem that Tire Rack is going to forget our segment. If anything, sounds like DT wanted TR because they recognize TR's reach and understanding of the enthusiast market.

Also, Woody taking the time on a Saturday morning to reassure us of this should be evidence on its own that you guys are important to them.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

I don't trust any promises that come out of mergers.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Shawn D. wrote: Dec 04, 2021 10:07 PM I don't trust any promises that come out of mergers.
That my man is the understatement of the year. Even within an organization it's never really a merger. It's always a takeover. Been there, seen that.

I should clarify, my experiences with Tire Rack are only online, or by phone, and with Americas/Discount tire at a retail store. Still, when you see a pattern...
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I've never been anything but pleased in my dealings with Tire Rack. Whether that was in their phone advice, the incredibly fast shipping, and their general helpfulness. This even extended to their invitation to use their facility and be an active participant in 5er Fest. They have also been great in dealing with in my role as Roundel managing editor and in their sponsorship of CCA events and Foundation support for the Street Survival program.

My only contact with Discount Tire was the purchase of two tires for my E39 while in Greenville for O'fest a couple of years ago. They were on-schedule in ordering the tires I needed, made an appointment to fit my schedule, had me out in no time, and assigned two "techs" to do the work as I watched them carefully mount and balance the tires and then hand-torque the lug bolts. I've seldom seen that level of professionalism at a chain tire store. I'd definitely consider them for future business.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Dec 05, 2021 9:21 AM This even extended to their invitation to use their facility and be an active participant in 5er Fest.
I attended that 5erFest, and was very impressed with the hospitality from the Tire Rack - I think they went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

stuartinmn wrote: Dec 05, 2021 3:38 PM
BMWCCA2 wrote: Dec 05, 2021 9:21 AM This even extended to their invitation to use their facility and be an active participant in 5er Fest.
I attended that 5erFest, and was very impressed with the hospitality from the Tire Rack - I think they went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.
I remember reading about that, and it has positively influenced me doing business with them. I don't recall anything like that from Discount Tire.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

discount tire broke my subaru key fob and denied it, and then countless inquiries with their corporate contact form and google reviews went unanswered.

kewl
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Sorry to hear that news. :cry:
Martin in BellevueWA

Post by Martin in BellevueWA »

Tire Rack used to be a good source for Hawk pads. Yesterday (5 days after ordering), I received an email with: "YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELLED".
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

This was posted to Facebook by a friend:
Date December 6th, 2021
Last week it was announced that the Tire Rack, the title sponsor of the BMW CCA Foundation’s Street Survival Teen driver program, and a leading independent consumer-direct source for tires, wheels, and performance accessories, is being acquired by Discount Tire, a leading independent retailer of tires and wheels.

To be clear, virtually the entire Tire Rack Sr. executive and management teams, including many third generation family members, will continue in their roles running the company as the Tire Rack, from its traditional home base in South Bend, Indiana.

The Veldman family, founders of the Tire Rack, will also have representation on the Board of Directors of Discount Tire.
Tire Rack became the title sponsor for Street Survival in 2007, and has been a constant supporter ever since.

The Street Survival program has recently agreed to another multi-year contract with the Tire Rack, and we will continue to champion this important, long-term partnership.

As most of you are well aware, their financial support is critical to the mission of Street Survival, helping teach the newest drivers across the North America life-saving driving skills.

To date, the Street Survival program has hosted over 1,200 schools, and taught over 30,000 students in our 17 year history.