So, how do I know i'm buying a 535is *update*

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
gwb72tii

So, how do I know i'm buying a 535is *update*

Post by gwb72tii »

Crazy question maybe, but what exactly identifies an "is" from an "i" ??
Anyone can slap on body panels, spoilers, badges etc.

The last seven of the VIN are 1717373, and it says 535i, options include 5spd tranny and sport suspension, but nowhere does it say 535is

TIA for any help
Last edited by gwb72tii on Oct 13, 2021 9:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.
gwb72tii

Re: So, how do I know i'm buying a 535is

Post by gwb72tii »

never mind
doing a search helps!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

BMW VIN decoders list sport seats and appendages on the is build sheet available on line when those sources work.
BMW dealers can run an ASAP on the car to verify the parts
Under the rear seat, passengers side a support bar for the cushion has the build sheet, if still attached that would list the parts.

From WBADC7407H0963899 a confirmed is from the original window sticker the build sheet shows:
458 Seat Adjustment, Electric. F Driver/pass Sitzverstellung Elektr.fahrer/beif.
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
551 Bordcomputer Ii Mit Fernbedienung
704 M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk
716 M Aerodynamics Package Ii M Aerodynamikpaket Ii

The bold items are the ones on the asap that show it as an is from the factory. The details are from newer BMW models that have reused the SA codes and I'm not going to look up with the period wording was, if it is on my SA Codes document. But you want the build sheet to show the sport seats, suspension work and drippage (dams and spoilers).

Most US E28s have short lists of SA codes because most of the 'options' were included in the US build.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

So what did you find? show us your results.

Damn, all my work researching, finding files on the computer and a working vin decoder shot to hell. Oh well.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

so you got this from the trunk spring thickness. I wrote about that, stating some of what was in that thread in the wtb thread for the trunk springs this week.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

If you find a 535i where the options list says sport suspension, sport seats and the rear spoiler, you have a 535is. Also, if it's zinnoberrot, royalblau-metallic or lachssilber-metallic, it can only be a 535is if it's a 1987 or 1988 DC74 or DC84 car.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Thanks everyone
The color of the car is Zinnoberrot
And from what I can tell with the VIN decoders that actually work the option list includes sport seats/sport suspension
So it is an is
gwb72tii

Re: So, how do I know i'm buying a 535is *update*

Post by gwb72tii »

Well I drove a 535is home from Mesa, AZ to our place about an hour south of Seattle.
Long, long drive as the car was suffering from fuel starvation issues and would stammer to a halt if I accelerated too hard. We had to get it towed over the pass north of Grants Pass,Oregon as the car stopped and would not start about half way up the grade. As soon as it was rolled off the flat bed 48 miles later in Roseburg it started. Every hill going home was anxiety time. Relearned a great lesson from driver’s ed 50 years ago to always have an “out” to go to in case of an emergency, like the car stammering when trying to pass a 16 wheeler.
It is Zinnoberrot over pearl beige interior.
I’ll be disassembling the car and restoring it over the next 8 months. A metric mechanic motor is going in along with suspension upgrades. Should be a fun car when I get it back on the road.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Sounds like you have a failing intank pump.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Hmm. Was local car to me. Go figure.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Blue Shadow wrote: Oct 06, 2021 5:22 PM BMW VIN decoders list sport seats and appendages on the is build sheet available on line when those sources work.
BMW dealers can run an ASAP on the car to verify the parts
Under the rear seat, passengers side a support bar for the cushion has the build sheet, if still attached that would list the parts.

From WBADC7407H0963899 a confirmed is from the original window sticker the build sheet shows:
458 Seat Adjustment, Electric. F Driver/pass Sitzverstellung Elektr.fahrer/beif.
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
551 Bordcomputer Ii Mit Fernbedienung
704 M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk
716 M Aerodynamics Package Ii M Aerodynamikpaket Ii

The bold items are the ones on the asap that show it as an is from the factory. The details are from newer BMW models that have reused the SA codes and I'm not going to look up with the period wording was, if it is on my SA Codes document. But you want the build sheet to show the sport seats, suspension work and drippage (dams and spoilers).

Most US E28s have short lists of SA codes because most of the 'options' were included in the US build.
lol that was my old car.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

We have been around here a long time seems natural I'd use something of yours as an example.