M5 airbox to plenum/tube fit issues

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Sorry, but all the foam is gone guys. The last box will go out tomorrow.
TurboChris

Post by TurboChris »

Got a box today, thanks Charles!
johne

Post by johne »

Received shipment today. Thanks John
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

So has anyone come up with a good way to make a nice clean cut with this foam? I was thinking of trying the paper cutter at work but otherwise, I got nuttin. :dunno:
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

If you have access to a lathe you'd be golden. Slip the foam over some kind of mandrel like maybe an aerosol can the right diameter, spin it in the lathe and slowly merge a razor knife held steady and it will sink down in perfectly clean. Move over and repeat to make several from one log of foam.

Otherwise maybe try the same approach with the can on a flat surface and a razor blade on a block of wood held steady above the surface and rotate the can up against the blade. Adjust the height of the wood block and make next cut.

The key in each is to have the blade true and square so it cuts in the circumference without wandering of course.

I've used this technique to cut larger diameter (up to about 3-4") things nice and square many times (provided it's not to long) and it is basically how they make lathe cut gaskets you see on the end of spin on filters.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

I don't have a lathe but I like the way you think. :)
So I going to put this hole saw over a plastic handi-wipe container and then put it on the drill press.

I'll slide the foam over the the handi-wipe cylinder and then use a razor blade on the drill table to make the cuts square.
It's just wacky enough that it might work.

ahab

Post by ahab »

I haven't cut mine yet but I have some kind of a scraper that takes 4" razor blades. They're available as packs of replacement blades from Lowes et al. I planned to try that.

Or there's always one of these...!

gray635

Re: M5 airbox to plenum/tube fit issues

Post by gray635 »

I'm resurrecting this old thread. The foam rubber "donut" on this M5 I just bought is in sad shape. I remember ordering one using the e30 M3 part number years ago, but can't locate that now on RealOEM. The part # listed in this thread above is not correct.

Does anyone have the correct e30 M3 part number for this thing? If so, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll try to create something out of a pool noodle!! :laugh:
gray635

Re: M5 airbox to plenum/tube fit issues

Post by gray635 »

Just found the current M3 part number for the foam rubber seal. Here is it for others who may be looking: PN 13 71 1 312 595