What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
tn535i

Re: What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

Post by tn535i »

When I built my detached garage I used the zip system for the walls and roof. Good stuff. I'm seeing more and more of it.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

cek wrote: Mar 28, 2021 10:40 PM Tore up the backyard by driving Uglina across it.

Dang, Charlie... That 'Cruiser looks nice.

As for the house, well I've done a fair bit recently, but don't have much for photo evidence.

The workshop (lower level of the garage) is unheated, and I futzed about trying to warm it up a bit over the winter, but mostly failed. It's warm enough out now that the shop stays a decent temp all day & night, but I'm going to do something this summer to get ready for next winter. I might take a stab at making a solar collector to heat & circulate air, or maybe just bite the bullet and put a natural gas heater in it.

And in the workshop, I got tired of dealing with the cobbled-up mess that the previous owner called a workbench, so that is on its way out, and a spiffy new one is in the works. Film at 11.

Most recently though, my wife got a burr under her saddle about the landscaping, and hired an outfit to come in and spend a pile of money for us. There's a slope on the south side of the garage that was a bit of an eyesore, what with 25-year-old unkempt landscaping and some mostly unusable steps from the driveway down to the sunken patio. They started demolition today, with a plan to make some terraced gardens with a stairway twisting through it. Should be awesome when it's done, and the best part is I don't have to do any of it. I like that part.
cek

Post by cek »

I didn't take any during photos (?!?!) but last week I got the wild hair to create a better mousetrap for the hose bib at the garage.

Previously I had a big plastic hose reel in a box, with a handle. It was 15+ years old, leaking, and creaking.

I had a vision of an auto-retracting reel mounted on a welded & painted stand, bolted to the concrete.

I found the reel on McMaster-Carr, ordered it, and then the vision came to life, almost perfectly (if I say so myself).

Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

cek wrote: Apr 14, 2021 11:44 AM I didn't take any during photos (?!?!) but last week I got the wild hair to create a better mousetrap for the hose bib...
Uhhhh...okayyyyyyy.... :rofl:
cek

Post by cek »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: Apr 14, 2021 11:55 PM
cek wrote: Apr 14, 2021 11:44 AM I didn't take any during photos (?!?!) but last week I got the wild hair to create a better mousetrap for the hose bib...
Is it "a wild hair" or "the wild hair"? And where did this saying come from?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

cek wrote: Apr 15, 2021 3:52 PMIs it "a wild hair" or "the wild hair"? And where did this saying come from?
https://www.waywordradio.org/wild-hair/

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Apr 15, 2021 3:52 PM
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Apr 14, 2021 11:55 PM
Is it "a wild hair" or "the wild hair"? And where did this saying come from?
I think it's a wild hair up a certain location.
a

Post by a »

An electric take up Quel decadent! Everyone family plus my growing cast of medical professionals nixed my roofing plans. Fine, my knees hurt just getting up on it to show an old framing buddy turned turnd CertainTeed roofing installer the roof. Trust is worth paying him 2X the lowest bid. With the Dow cruising at 33.4K. I'm making more than I ever did working. The house is mine free and clear. Time to protect my real estate investment. Thankfully, I have the means to trade money for time.
cek

Post by cek »

cek wrote: Apr 14, 2021 11:44 AM I didn't take any during photos (?!?!) but last week I got the wild hair to create a better mousetrap for the hose bib at the garage.

Previously I had a big plastic hose reel in a box, with a handle. It was 15+ years old, leaking, and creaking.

I had a vision of an auto-retracting reel mounted on a welded & painted stand, bolted to the concrete.

I found the reel on McMaster-Carr, ordered it, and then the vision came to life, almost perfectly (if I say so myself).

The other day, I made one for the lower driveway/garage. Plasma cutting is SO MUCH FUN. I'm getting better.

This time I bought the retractable reel on Amazon because I wanted a really long hose. I'm pretty impressed with this unit.

TACKLIFE Retractable Garden Hose Reel,1/2" x 100+6.7FT Wall Mounted Retractable Garden Hose Reel, 8 Pattern Hose Nozzle, Any Length Lock/Auto Rewind/Wall Mounted/180°Swivel Bracket
[/quote]
JuniEdith

Post by JuniEdith »

Added lighting to my house
Proper lighting can truly bring a room to life. A poorly lit room looks small, dark and cramped, while a brightly lit room appears open, airy and welcoming.Then, if you want to get adventurous, you can replace all those out-dated ceiling fixtures with the stunning modern masterpieces that are available on the market.Of course, the last part may I had to hire an electrician for installation, but if you’re handy, replacing a ceiling fixture is something that is not too complicated. Whether you keep it simple with floor lamps, or go all out and replace all your ceiling fixtures —modernize your home with plenty of bright lights.