What do you think of the VW GTi?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
e12euro

Re: What do you think of the VW GTi?

Post by e12euro »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 29, 2021 8:48 PM
tn535i wrote: Mar 29, 2021 2:41 PM Another point of view... US manufacturers failed to make smaller cars to compete with the Europeans and Japan NEVER. I think the imports figured out in the 70's how to make efficient transportation. Fast forward to 2020 and the US automakers have only proved that they can make bigger and bigger pick up trucks and realize it's their bread and butter.

So what it really comes down to is how will that GTI can out run and out maneuver in every situation before it gets run over by an F-150 or bigger.
I shake my head about that all the time, that even today, regardless of country of manufacture small cars=shitty cars. Now the Japanese in particular have mastered making them long term reliable appliances, and BMW 3 series aren't all bad, but not up to 5 series standards, but still, with rare exception small=shitty. Now lots of people don't care, they want something cheap to buy, cheap to run and reliable. Thrashy, gutless engines, A/Ts that endlessly cycle back and forth between gears on any sort of grade, uncomfortable interiors, painful seats, cardboard interiors and more is all they want to put in small cars. Once upon a time you used to be able to buy nice, by the then standards, European small cars for less than a kings ransom. Now small=cheap and shitty.

Of course now domestic manufacturers have almost entirely abandoned cars of any size, they just don't sell. Except for the tons of Camrys and Altimas and Corollas and Subarus and Hyundais and BMWs etc that are selling. They have hardly moved since the 60s, if their cars don't sell it must be the market has changed, not that they have failed to make cars that people like.
In some ways it seems the Europeans, Japanese and Koreans have taken a leaf out of Detroit's playbook of old, in making the smallest the worst. As you said back in the day the Datsun 1600, BMW 2002, original Honda Civic and VW Beetle showed that small didn't have to be low grade.

I would say the market for normal cars is only large enough for the Japanese, Korean and European cars you mention. No room for Detroit to enter, even if they had appropriate models. I think this is why they are so pro electric cars, they look at Tesla and see this area as a new Eldorado for high profit cars, except this time they are going to make 'em in China and bypass the UAW. :laugh:

As a side note, I have noticed that the 0-60 mph times of an ordinary 4 cyl Camry and Accord are in the 8-9 second league, which is about about the same as a 1979-81 BMW 528i, and I wonder if in real world driving those modern Japanese cars would be any more economical than a 5 speed 528i, considering the extra weight they are lugging?
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

three5ives wrote: Mar 28, 2021 4:17 PM
e12euro wrote: Mar 28, 2021 12:51 PM
three5ives wrote: Mar 28, 2021 8:57 AM I just bought a 2017 GTI Sport 6sp 45K about 7 months ago from a friend who's an active vintage BMW enthusiast. I live in a dense urban environment in N. ATL, and the GTI makes every short trip fun and entertaining. As someone else mentioned, it has just enough power to make things interesting. The car is more refined than I expected, very comfortable and the controls are light and smooth.

Funny story. Back in the day I bought a 1984 GTI new. I had just gotten married, about to graduate college, and had joined the USMC. When I left for basic training at lovely all inclusive Parris Island resort, I left the car with my wife, she had a 1974 Camaro Z28 (A/T) that her dad (a master mechanic/shop Forman at a national freight company) had modded to his 'spec'. It's all she drove, she knew how to drive a manual, but just barely. That Z28 was a pretty hot car with his mods. Her dad aways laughed at the GTI - he was not a fan of German engineering. When I returned for 10 days leave after graduating from PI, the GTI was all my wife would drive. She had become a backroad terror in that thing. Her dad almost disowned her. :D
Goodness me, I would have certainly taken the Z28 over the Golf GTi. However, it is true that many drivers back in the day, especially women, wanted a smaller car because it was easier to control and park, and was thriftier on gas.

That said, the Z28 was always a great handling car, and the Firebird Trans Am even more so. :cool:
I had a new 1980 red T/A - screaming chicken and all, it wasn't that good, pathetic build quality. Sold within a year. She drove the GTI because it was just more fun - especially if turning was required.
No argument domestic quality was abysmal on average, but the Z28 and WS6 Trans Ams had a lot of grip and were very neutral on a smooth road. Did your T/A have WS6 and turbo 301? Acceleration wise the 1980 Z28 350, Trans Am Turbo and 528i 5 speed seemed about equal, but the domestics were automatic only and a lot thirstier, plus around 10 mph off on top speed. Not that it mattered given the 55 mph limit.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

e12euro wrote: Mar 30, 2021 1:05 PM
As a side note, I have noticed that the 0-60 mph times of an ordinary 4 cyl Camry and Accord are in the 8-9 second league, which is about about the same as a 1979-81 BMW 528i, and I wonder if in real world driving those modern Japanese cars would be any more economical than a 5 speed 528i, considering the extra weight they are lugging?
The E12 528i here was almost a watershed car, faster than most V8s with better fuel economy than most 6 cylinder cars with half their power and better than some 4s. Plus bulletproof reliable. Now I'm a big BMW and E12 fan, but there's no doubt in my mind they get much better mileage. And weight? About the same. But the late E12s are 40 years old now and technology has changed profoundly. Now try to imagine what cars will be like in another 40 years, 2060. :shock: I can't even imagine, although gasoline may be hard to find.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

e12euro wrote: Mar 30, 2021 1:11 PM
No argument domestic quality was abysmal on average, but the Z28 and WS6 Trans Ams had a lot of grip and were very neutral on a smooth road. Did your T/A have WS6 and turbo 301? Acceleration wise the 1980 Z28 350, Trans Am Turbo and 528i 5 speed seemed about equal, but the domestics were automatic only and a lot thirstier, plus around 10 mph off on top speed. Not that it mattered given the 55 mph limit.
Acceleration is gearing and torque, top speed is horsepower. The V8s even at almost twice the displacement still had torque on their side, but really didn't have the power the 528i did, which is why the 528i had a higher top speed.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 30, 2021 4:26 PM
e12euro wrote: Mar 30, 2021 1:11 PM
Acceleration is gearing and torque, top speed is horsepower. The V8s even at almost twice the displacement still had torque on their side, but really didn't have the power the 528i did, which is why the 528i had a higher top speed.
Torque was just about all they had, lol, around 300 lb/ft, but the coupes also weighed around 500lbs more.

Interesting differences, American sporty cars were 2 doors only, the idea of a sporty 4 door sedan was a new one. And the 5 series had unitary construction with a crumple zone. If you take the fenders and nosecone off those GM coupes there's nothing! Nothing up to the firewall. Scary!! :laugh:

On problems BMW was selling around 6,500 5 series annually in America against over 250,000 Z28s & T/As. So, when one person says they have a problem with their 5 series, it's given too much emphasis. What might be a case of something not being set up right is put down as a design defect, whereas on a high volume car like a Camaro a problem someone has is dismissed as an assembly line problem or a bad dealer prep issue. ;)
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

When I first got my 535 and a friend rode in it his comment was... "It's like a 4 door Z28"
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

tn535i wrote: Mar 30, 2021 6:11 PM When I first got my 535 and a friend rode in it his comment was... "It's like a 4 door Z28"
With my obvious BMW bias, and by the late 70s the CamBird twins did handle pretty well on smooth pavement, but I hear that comment and think insult! :laugh:
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

By the late '70s I wasn't paying much attention to cars like the Camaro and Firebird, because I knew how far they had fallen from their performance peak almost 10 years earlier. It was downright depressing to see what they had become with their goofy tack-on graphics and wheezing, strangled V8 putting out less than 1/2 HP/Cu. In. The "malaise era" indeed. That's what first drew me to BMWs; they weren't nearly as quick as the muscle cars I grew up with, but at least they were fun to drive and unpretentious.
cek

Post by cek »

Voltswagen
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

glowell222 wrote: Mar 04, 2021 7:53 PM I had a 2012 Golf TDI, one of the EPAgate victims. (Still waiting for anyone at EPA to be held accountable for not catching on to this at all).

It was a great car. It handled fantastic, clutch and shift action was just superb, got great fuel mileage, was hackable so I could turn off all of the stupid USA nags and nannies, was reliable, and was not ostentatious. I thought about and test drove the GTI, but it was too "boy racer" for me, trying too hard and I didn't like the interior: no choice in interior color or materials. It handled exactly like the TDI, a bit better with low profile tires, TDI had a better ride. GTI had more power, but so what? I wasn't driving on the Nürburgring, and the TDI got up to 80 mph about as well as anything else out there.
I had one of those EPAgate cars, a Jetta TDI Sportwagen. Bought it new for $32k, drove it for 7 years, then sent it back to the factory in exchange for a $26k check. Took that money, and bought a slightly used E90, which is now worth half what I paid. What I should have done was used that money for two more well sorted E28's, which would have held their value or appreciated at today's prices. Oh well....
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Sparkeysf wrote: Mar 30, 2021 9:03 PM
glowell222 wrote: Mar 04, 2021 7:53 PM I had a 2012 Golf TDI, one of the EPAgate victims. (Still waiting for anyone at EPA to be held accountable for not catching on to this at all).

It was a great car. It handled fantastic, clutch and shift action was just superb, got great fuel mileage, was hackable so I could turn off all of the stupid USA nags and nannies, was reliable, and was not ostentatious. I thought about and test drove the GTI, but it was too "boy racer" for me, trying too hard and I didn't like the interior: no choice in interior color or materials. It handled exactly like the TDI, a bit better with low profile tires, TDI had a better ride. GTI had more power, but so what? I wasn't driving on the Nürburgring, and the TDI got up to 80 mph about as well as anything else out there.
I had one of those EPAgate cars, a Jetta TDI Sportwagen. Bought it new for $32k, drove it for 7 years, then sent it back to the factory in exchange for a $26k check. Took that money, and bought a slightly used E90, which is now worth half what I paid. What I should have done was used that money for two more well sorted E28's, which would have held their value or appreciated at today's prices. Oh well....
Similar here: paid around 25k, put 80k miles on it, sold it back for almost $19k. Used that to get my E28, update the garage, and fund all of the E28 refurb I have been doing over the years. I am happy with the E28, and I miss that VW as well.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

You might want to consider a used 2015 Golf R DSG if you can find one in very good condition. Ours has 35k miles on it and other than getting rid of the 19" wheels and going with 18x8.5 Neuspeed wheels and Michelin RS3+ tires, which significantly improved the 'R's country back road performance at speed, the vehicle has been great and is certainly a keeper. To date it has delivered 28.3 MPG and those of you who know me also know I have a HEAVY foot!

I am currently driving a 2019 Audi RS 3 also with 18" wheels/tires, also SIGNIFICANTLY improving its country back road performance. The Audi is superior, but the Golf R still puts big grins on this old face! and is an amazing vehicle in its own right... given the 30+ years I spent in my much modified 1983 E28!
-Rod
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

LarryM wrote: Mar 30, 2021 8:42 PM By the late '70s I wasn't paying much attention to cars like the Camaro and Firebird, because I knew how far they had fallen from their performance peak almost 10 years earlier. It was downright depressing to see what they had become with their goofy tack-on graphics and wheezing, strangled V8 putting out less than 1/2 HP/Cu. In. The "malaise era" indeed. That's what first drew me to BMWs; they weren't nearly as quick as the muscle cars I grew up with, but at least they were fun to drive and unpretentious.
Road & Track tested the last of the carb Corvettes in 1981, with the 190 hp L48 350 and they got 0-60 mph in 9.2 seconds. The same magazine got 8.2 seconds out of their e12 528i. Both cars had an 8.2:1 comp ratio and 4 speed manual transmissions, both cars weighed 3,400 lbs and used 91 octane (RON) unleaded. So I don't know where the Corvette's extra horsepower and torque went? :? However, if you were to put the two cars side by side, many would think the Corvette was faster, especially with a 180 cube displacement advantage, and two extra cylinders! ;)
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Sparkeysf wrote: Mar 30, 2021 9:03 PM

I have one of those Wagens. A 2014 I bought for $11k with 45k miles from a VW dealership in Salinas. Had the DSG serviced and lifted it on Tiguan springs and a GTI rear sway bar. Love it and even though fuel mileage is down due to the tuning it still gets 37-38+ on the highway. Now has 70k miles...a fantastic car especially at altitude!
David B

Post by David B »

I currently have a 2015 SE 6spd with the Sport package. I absolutely love this car, it’s APR Stage 3 using the R Is38 turbo with bolt ons putting down around 360whp and a tick under 400wtrq. It’s got 84000 trouble free miles even at 26 pounds of boost. The most significant change aside from power are lighter wheels shaving 7lbs per axle. I just added a rear sway bar to introduce some very moderate oversteer, in sport mode it really tightens things up and handles very well.
It excels at bringing a smile to my face every time I get in it, an excellent car. I will say there have been some creeks and rattles lately coming from random interior pieces. The build quality far exceeds the few hopped up Subaru’s I’ve had in the past. When the Stage 2 clutch needs to be replaced I’ll throw in a stage 3 clutch which will allow me to install aftermarket high and low pressure fuel pumps with an E85 tune that’s good for around 410-420whp.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

David B wrote: Apr 24, 2021 9:34 PM I currently have a 2015 SE 6spd with the Sport package. I absolutely love this car, it’s APR Stage 3 using the R Is38 turbo with bolt ons putting down around 360whp and a tick under 400wtrq. It’s got 84000 trouble free miles even at 26 pounds of boost. The most significant change aside from power are lighter wheels shaving 7lbs per axle. I just added a rear sway bar to introduce some very moderate oversteer, in sport mode it really tightens things up and handles very well.
It excels at bringing a smile to my face every time I get in it, an excellent car. I will say there have been some creeks and rattles lately coming from random interior pieces. The build quality far exceeds the few hopped up Subaru’s I’ve had in the past. When the Stage 2 clutch needs to be replaced I’ll throw in a stage 3 clutch which will allow me to install aftermarket high and low pressure fuel pumps with an E85 tune that’s good for around 410-420whp.
OMG, those 2L mills blow up even in stock Audi S3s. :shock: This must be a very special motor. :cool:
David B

Post by David B »

The gen 3 EA888 has been a reliable motor. I basically just have a stock GTI Club Sport set up with a tune, larger intercooler, turbo back exhaust, 400hp is not breaking a sweat. The MK7 Golf R with an APR Stage 3 plus package ($5000) will put down over 500hp giving you a silly little AWD Golf doing 60 in 3.5sec, the quarter in 11.5 sec, that’s stock internals.

The earlier EA888’s had some issues but apparently have been resolved. There are cases of rear main seal issues on the Gen 3 motor causing the crank to become misaligned due to premature wear on the journals. I specifically bought mine used with enough mileage to know this wasn’t an issue, and is collectively rare.
The previous owner builds engines for Penske racing for the NSX campaign so I trust his judgment, my engine has completely stock internals. I have a good friend with an 2012 Audi A3 putting down 550hp to all four wheels but he has maybe 50k in that car and was a full engine out build. His wife drives it and has no idea it’s any different than her hybrid Lexus SUV.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

David B wrote: Apr 25, 2021 7:29 PM The gen 3 EA888 has been a reliable motor. I basically just have a stock GTI Club Sport set up with a tune, larger intercooler, turbo back exhaust, 400hp is not breaking a sweat. The MK7 Golf R with an APR Stage 3 plus package ($5000) will put down over 500hp giving you a silly little AWD Golf doing 60 in 3.5sec, the quarter in 11.5 sec, that’s stock internals.

The earlier EA888’s had some issues but apparently have been resolved. There are cases of rear main seal issues on the Gen 3 motor causing the crank to become misaligned due to premature wear on the journals. I specifically bought mine used with enough mileage to know this wasn’t an issue, and is collectively rare.
The previous owner builds engines for Penske racing for the NSX campaign so I trust his judgment, my engine has completely stock internals. I have a good friend with an 2012 Audi A3 putting down 550hp to all four wheels but he has maybe 50k in that car and was a full engine out build. His wife drives it and has no idea it’s any different than her hybrid Lexus SUV.
I don't doubt what you say, but worldwide VW group's turbo 4 cylinder engines haven't always been the most reliable. Turbo failure is often the reason given for problems, although it's often not the actual turbo unit itself, but related hardware, although they are always upgrading parts. Still, getting 400hp from a relatively small 4 cylinder engine is a lot concerning durability. Although it is true these days they build engines strong so you can cram a lot of boost in there, but there is a physical limit. Not to mention the heat generated, which has to go somewhere. And in many cases there is emissions to consider.
David B

Post by David B »

The first gen 1.8TSI did have some issues, that has inadvertently followed the brand and this particular engine. Kinda like when people see my e28 or e23 and say (Oh that’s probably very expensive to maintain or repair). I say parts are relatively cheap and you can basically diagnose most anything with a test light or a multimeter.
The OP was asking about the current GTI, it has been a joy to own without any major mechanical issues for myself and the community of enthusiasts I am apart of. There is a ton of support for these cars, they are a hoot bone stock. If my GTI was my daily driver I would give it a super simple 280 or so whp by just adding an aftermarket down pipe and a tune and be done with it.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

rodpaine wrote: Apr 02, 2021 12:21 PM You might want to consider a used 2015 Golf R DSG if you can find one in very good condition. Ours has 35k miles on it and other than getting rid of the 19" wheels and going with 18x8.5 Neuspeed wheels and Michelin RS3+ tires, which significantly improved the 'R's country back road performance at speed, the vehicle has been great and is certainly a keeper. To date it has delivered 28.3 MPG and those of you who know me also know I have a HEAVY foot!

I am currently driving a 2019 Audi RS 3 also with 18" wheels/tires, also SIGNIFICANTLY improving its country back road performance. The Audi is superior, but the Golf R still puts big grins on this old face! and is an amazing vehicle in its own right... given the 30+ years I spent in my much modified 1983 E28!
-Rod

Rod,

As a Golf R owner, have you ever compared its quality to a standard, late-model Golf or GTi? It's an area of contention among Golf owners, but some feel the German-manufactured cars are simply better made than the ones assembled in Mexico. One reason production of the next gen Golf is being shifted to Europe is allegedly because Europeans, at least, believe the Mexican-built Golfs are subpar.

Even if you don't necessarily need the extra HP and AWD, better quality control and reliability might be good enough reasons to buy an R (if there is indeed a significant difference).
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

tn535i wrote: Mar 30, 2021 6:11 PM When I first got my 535 and a friend rode in it his comment was... "It's like a 4 door Z28"
Nice. But I go more ambitious; I thought especially my 533i with the lighter flywheel and earlier cam was a four-door 911 :)

Those glory days were great when our cars could run with or smoke all the domestic toys like Monte Carlo SS, etc. Anyway to return to topic I am pretty sure unless I get some type of Element pop-top or something my DD to give Maxine a rest will be a MK6 GTi, well-sorted and with records of course.
I loved all my old A1 A2 V-Dubs.
LarryM wrote: Apr 29, 2021 12:57 AM Rod,

As a Golf R owner, have you ever compared its quality to a standard, late-model Golf or GTi? It's an area of contention among Golf owners, but some feel the German-manufactured cars are simply better made than the ones assembled in Mexico. One reason production of the next gen Golf is being shifted to Europe is allegedly because Europeans, at least, believe the Mexican-built Golfs are subpar.

Even if you don't necessarily need the extra HP and AWD, better quality control and reliability might be good enough reasons to buy an R (if there is indeed a significant difference).
Wow. Those mileage figures are awesome. With the EAT chip I would say I'm about 20 overall, maybe a bit less for my is. And yes I hear you on the R and the build quality, etc but I'm not THAT swayed by it when I consider how much more it would be -- like a '13 R is more than twice the price of entry for the cooking variety GTi
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

SeattleGuy wrote: May 12, 2021 4:12 PM
Nice. But I go more ambitious; I thought especially my 533i with the lighter flywheel and earlier cam was a four-door 911 :)

Those glory days were great when our cars could run with or smoke all the domestic toys like Monte Carlo SS, etc. Anyway to return to topic I am pretty sure unless I get some type of Element pop-top or something my DD to give Maxine a rest will be a MK6 GTi, well-sorted and with records of course.
I loved all my old A1 A2 V-Dubs.
LarryM wrote: Apr 29, 2021 12:57 AM Rod,

Wow. Those mileage figures are awesome. With the EAT chip I would say I'm about 20 overall, maybe a bit less for my is. And yes I hear you on the R and the build quality, etc but I'm not THAT swayed by it when I consider how much more it would be -- like a '13 R is more than twice the price of entry for the cooking variety GTi
Funny you should say that, because Car and Driver said the 1985 e28 Hartge H5S they tried was like a 4 door Porsche 911. Great minds think alike! :)
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

e12euro wrote: May 12, 2021 4:37 PM
Funny you should say that, because Car and Driver said the 1985 e28 Hartge H5S they tried was like a 4 door Porsche 911. Great minds think alike! :)
No way. A C/D story on a vintage Bimmer that I somehow missed??? Wow. Thanks I'll look for that. Does anyone have the damn OneLap or Cannonball when they rolled an E28 M5? THAT's the one I need LOL. Might have been the one they shot in full droop I'm sure y'all have seen that one.

Anyway, to compare an A1 or even A2 VW to a MK5/6/7 is to compare an '02/tii to our cars and beyond. The DNA is still there (more for VW IMO as to post E34) but they really are completely different experiences. I just hope before I "retire" I can have me some older DNA. Speed means so little to me, even on my bikes. Been there, done that. Well except if I take a track day but even then I don't want the latest and fastest. It's well above my riding level to be completely honest.

PS: And we all know the lesser Porsche range more approximates the OG 911 experience than a contemporary 911.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

SeattleGuy wrote: May 12, 2021 5:58 PM
e12euro wrote: May 12, 2021 4:37 PM
No way. A C/D story on a vintage Bimmer that I somehow missed??? Wow. Thanks I'll look for that. Does anyone have the damn OneLap or Cannonball when they rolled an E28 M5? THAT's the one I need LOL. Might have been the one they shot in full droop I'm sure y'all have seen that one.

Anyway, to compare an A1 or even A2 VW to a MK5/6/7 is to compare an '02/tii to our cars and beyond. The DNA is still there (more for VW IMO as to post E34) but they really are completely different experiences. I just hope before I "retire" I can have me some older DNA. Speed means so little to me, even on my bikes. Been there, done that. Well except if I take a track day but even then I don't want the latest and fastest. It's well above my riding level to be completely honest.

PS: And we all know the lesser Porsche range more approximates the OG 911 experience than a contemporary 911.
Here is the C/D article. Sadly, I think Hartge went out of business a couple of years ago. BMW's own M cars being so readily available has limited the tuner market.

Car and Driver March 1984 Hartge H5S

Many think this is the best Golf GTi of all time.

Golf GTi 16v ad part 1

Golf GTi 16v part 2
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

e12euro wrote: May 13, 2021 12:51 PM
Many think this is the best Golf GTi of all time.

Golf GTi 16v ad part 1

Golf GTi 16v part 2

That's my personal favorite generation of GTi. They were still fairly simple, analog cars with a sweet, responsive, NA engine.