Woo Hoo, I just got shot! 11-9, Update, Booster!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Blue Shadow

Re: Woo Hoo, I just got shot!

Post by Blue Shadow »

Walmart has a store at the back of a Towne Square type shopping center with a Sams club right next door but the sams died. Was an empty shell of a building that Walmart has decided to use to grab Fed Funds for covid vaccinations.

Go in, get insurance card and ID copied, fill out a long medical questionnaire, return the clip board, go the to the document clerk and get them verified and sent to a poker, 1 of 4 set up in this empty building then get the jab and go sit over there for 15 minutes until you finish reading the handout. Take these papers and your vaccination card with 2nd jab appointment with you on the way out. I guess this beats the hell out of sitting in a line of cars zigzagging through a huge parking lot for an in car stab.

Neighbor 10 years younger and not old enough got is Teacher's dose of the J&J the same day. Now we can talk to each other.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Blue Shadow wrote: Mar 26, 2021 11:15 AMGo in, get insurance card and ID copied, fill out a long medical questionnaire, return the clip board, go the to the document clerk and get them verified and sent to a poker, 1 of 4 set up in this empty building then get the jab and go sit over there for 15 minutes until you finish reading the handout. Take these papers and your vaccination card with 2nd jab appointment with you on the way out.
Glad you got the shot! Let's hope it helps keep everyone safer.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Blue Shadow wrote: Mar 26, 2021 11:15 AM
Neighbor 10 years younger and not old enough got is Teacher's dose of the J&J the same day. Now we can talk to each other.
I know the feeling. There's a guy 2 doors down, mechanic in a tire shop and probably does more side work at home than at the shop. I used to go over every so often and we'd chat, mostly about cars, but not only. Now I just wave. :roll: Soon we should be shooting the shit again.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Got mine Friday, go for the second shot mid April. Time from parking lot to parking lot was right about an hour. Lots of standing in lines but they moved.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

gadget73 wrote: Mar 29, 2021 10:14 AM Got mine Friday, go for the second shot mid April. Time from parking lot to parking lot was right about an hour. Lots of standing in lines but they moved.
Hey maybe a Mike Foy Memorial audio gig in the near future!!
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Event sounds good, reason for it sucks though. The last several times I've seen certain family and friends have been for that reason and it really takes something out of it.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Got my second shot today. Everything went smoothly, no waiting in line or anything.

A study came out today that says besides being effective at preventing illness, the Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer Inc. and Moderna Inc. also effectively prevented coronavirus infections with substantial protection evident two weeks after the first dose. So, that was good news. :up:
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

stuartinmn wrote: Mar 29, 2021 3:45 PM Got my second shot today. Everything went smoothly, no waiting in line or anything.

A study came out today that says besides being effective at preventing illness, the Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer Inc. and Moderna Inc. also effectively prevented coronavirus infections with substantial protection evident two weeks after the first dose. So, that was good news. :up:
Even better, studies are showing that antibodies (IgG and IgA, specifically) are passing through breast milk, which is good news for the 7-month old who can't get a vaccine yet.

Finally got an appointment. First shot tomorrow.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

California is opening up vaccinations for all 50+ folks on Wednesday. After some scrambling when they announced that last week, we were able to schedule our first shot (hopefully it will be Phizer) for this Friday morning.

For anyone here in Los Angeles, CA hoping to do this, use this portal, it seems to be the only one that got us anywhere:
https://carbonhealth.com/covid-19-vaccines/los-angeles

Come April 15th, CA opens up the floodgates to everyone 16+, so if you're in my age bracket, don't wait take advantage of this narrow 14 day window.
a

Post by a »

Good to hear from you, Tammer. Congrats on the baby. I got the 2nd Pfizer last Sat, 3/27. Ten more days until I can go to a store. :cool:
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

vinceg101 wrote: Mar 30, 2021 3:15 AMCome April 15th, CA opens up the floodgates to everyone 16+, so if you're in my age bracket, don't wait take advantage of this narrow 14 day window.
Minnesota is also opening up vaccinations to everyone 16 and older, but my understanding is they will still be prioritized so that older folks, essential personnel, etc. are still at the head of the line - the idea is that if there are extra unused vaccinations available they won't be wasted. I can't speak for California or other states but they may well be doing the same thing.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

stuartinmn wrote: Mar 31, 2021 5:33 PM
vinceg101 wrote: Mar 30, 2021 3:15 AMCome April 15th, CA opens up the floodgates to everyone 16+, so if you're in my age bracket, don't wait take advantage of this narrow 14 day window.
Minnesota is also opening up vaccinations to everyone 16 and older, but my understanding is they will still be prioritized so that older folks, essential personnel, etc. are still at the head of the line - the idea is that if there are extra unused vaccinations available they won't be wasted. I can't speak for California or other states but they may well be doing the same thing.
Not according the information being transmitted, it's essentially going to be a mini free-for-all starting midnight (well 12:01am tomorrow). The big free-for-all starts on the 15th. I believe they are still giving priority to 2nd doses (Phizer & Moderna) and schedule those at the time of the 1st one, but beyond that, they've not stated any other exceptions. Since most are all being done by appointments, there are no lines except for the mass sites. Lining up outside appointment-only facilities is strictly prohibited as far as I understand (we'll see come Friday).
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Got dose #2 today. Arm is a little sore, I think I might be a little on the spacey side, but I'm not sure I'm not just making an excuse to take the day off.

Organization. :facepalm: It's a mess here locally, we seem to be shorted doses from the state, but it's not well organized. However trying to help out the ne'er do well BIL in North Carolina makes us look good. We're a mess, they're a clusterfuck, which is much worse than a mess. Sample of two, I have no idea about the rest of the country. Hopefully it's not as bad other places.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

NJ didn't seem too bad when I went. I went to one of the mega-sites. Lots of military folk checking ID and directing traffic. Bunch of standing in line, but it moved pretty steady. It was an hour from car back to the car, and i have no clue how many people were in front of me. Couple hundred easily if I had to guess. By the time I finally got to the room where they were giving shots, it was maybe 30 seconds between customers as folks rotated through the chairs. The actual shot process was well under a minute. Only real beef was that it was about a 40 minute drive to get there, but back roads and it was a nice day, so really not that big of a deal.

It took probably 3 weeks between when I applied and was approved, and it was another 2 or 3 weeks until an appointment was available. 2 weeks until I go back for round 2, and I guess I'll see if anything has changed by that point. Organized chaos I guess is a reasonable description but there was no screaming or general sense that nobody had any idea what the hell was going on.

worst side effect was that it felt like someone punched me in the arm. That didn't show up until hours later and it was mostly gone by the next day. I hear the second shot is worse though.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

gadget73 wrote: Apr 02, 2021 8:33 AMI hear the second shot is worse though.
That's what a lot of people have said but the second one didn't affect me at all. On the other hand my best friend got hit worse by the first one, he had a 104 degree fever for a day.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I had a fever this morning but not high. A couple of ibuprofen and I'm feeling better. My arm is sore though. Not killing me, but more than a little.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

The local BMWCCA and PCA chapters sponsored Covid shots here. They combined it with an autocross. It was a lot of fun.

John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Mike W. wrote: Apr 02, 2021 4:13 PMI had a fever this morning but not high. A couple of ibuprofen and I'm feeling better. My arm is sore though. Not killing me, but more than a little.
Try acetaminophen/Tylenol instead. I felt down on power after #2, but my wife had chills & fever.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

John in VA wrote: Apr 02, 2021 7:09 PM
Mike W. wrote: Apr 02, 2021 4:13 PMI had a fever this morning but not high. A couple of ibuprofen and I'm feeling better. My arm is sore though. Not killing me, but more than a little.
Try acetaminophen/Tylenol instead. I felt down on power after #2, but my wife had chills & fever.
I know acetaminophen is what the medical people always push, but it doesn't do much for me. Ibuprofen seems much more effective. Might be a YMMV thing, different people, different things work.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Acetaminophen is for pain, Ibuprofen is for inflammation. Generic Ibuprofen is also my go-to, but earlier last year we were told Ibuprofen might make you more susceptible to the Covid. Whatever works!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Well Shot #1 is done.
It was relatively simple procedure this morning, the LAFD runs it so it was a pretty smooth operation:
-18 minute drive to USC Parking Structure
-Lots of people directing traffic, drive to the top, park on the upper floors
-There are 3 vaccination stations on the first three levels, take your pick
-Line up, show your ID and your QR code from their email and wait for a free station (there were about 6 with 2 chairs each)
-Inject, wait 15 minutes, then leave

Our appointment was for 9:40 and we were in the car by 10:15 then out of the structure a short time after that.
We caught them in between the dose deliveries, so the line behind us backs up while everyone waits for the pharmacy to drop off a small cooler full at a time. This is the only down side to their system in this particular facility as they have no means of refrigeration inside the parking structure, so they are reliant on someone doing a constant shuttle.

Next shot is 4/23.

(I will add that my arm is starting to ache a little now.)
topher800

Post by topher800 »

I got my first shot on March 24th. Thornton Fire Dept was running the operation (North of Denver). You don't get out of your vehicle, though you can for the 15 minute post waiting period, and there is a large park there. Pretty smooth operation. Took maybe 20 minutes to snake through the car line. I let them shoot my left arm, which was a mistake. As a side sleeper I sleep on my left side. My shoulder was sore for three nights.
south26

Post by south26 »

Now with myself and the wife having gotten our shots, I can not wait until kids can get their shots. Still have to act like we have not gotten shots. Hopefully by the fall. :D

Andy
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

south26 wrote: Apr 03, 2021 2:44 PM Now with myself and the wife having gotten our shots, I can not wait until kids can get their shots. Still have to act like we have not gotten shots. Hopefully by the fall. :D

Andy
Yeah, masks bug a lot of people like my wife. It's a bit of a PITA to me but once it's on my biggest problem is my nose can itch from my mustache and I can't scratch it. But we can do things again. We've been in near hibernation for the past year but now, or at least in another week and a half, I feel comfortable about doing non essential things like going to the hardware store. Vacation in a couple of months. Maybe, maybe even restaurants. Wow, what a concept, eating out.
Mike W.

Re: Woo Hoo, I just got shot! 11-9, Update, Booster!

Post by Mike W. »

My HMO, Kaiser, is doing what it's best at, making life miserable and dealing with them difficult. So... chasing links I found out I could make an appt at Safeway. So I did. Got the booster today, nurse didn't even make me wait the 15 minutes after a quick quiz about reactions, or lack thereof after the first two. Best of all took my medical card so they could bill Kaiser. :up: I told her they're a PITA, charge them extra. (I know, it's all the same, but it's the thought that counts)