PSA- check your power steering pump filter

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Bonsaibacker

PSA- check your power steering pump filter

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Extra noises in the engine bay coming from the power steering pump/alternator area? Read on.
Recently picked up and am reviving an '83 533i. Working out the issues from years of stagnation. I noticed when I fired it up that the power steering pump was whining. Opened the reservoir and there was plenty of fluid. Researched the forum a little and realized the best place to start was the filter at the bottom of the reservoir. Changed and the pump is quiet as a mouse.

Check out the contorted filter. That poor pump was working hard!

For those of you who have never seen this filter before, this is what it looks like new:

taavipa

Re: PSA- check your power steering pump filter

Post by taavipa »

What's the part number on your replacement?

Realoem lists 32411128167 for my vin. On the pictures it looks like it could be the same part but it's NLA without any replacements (neither OEM nor aftermarket).
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

taavipa wrote: Dec 30, 2020 9:05 AM What's the part number on your replacement?

Realoem lists 32411128167 for my vin. On the pictures it looks like it could be the same part but it's NLA without any replacements (neither OEM nor aftermarket).
Scroll down a bit and use the other parts diagram. It should show a 32411128919 which while it is currently out of stock most places, is still available. Usually they show the new number when it's superseded, but not this time.

I would add to make sure you check the bolts on the pump body too. I was having ever increasing problems with the pump sucking air when it was cold, doing the groaning thing, replaced the filter and it got worse. No leak from the pump although it may have been damp, but tightening the bolts holding the pump together solved my problem.
taavipa

Post by taavipa »

Mike W. wrote: Dec 30, 2020 1:53 PM Scroll down a bit and use the other parts diagram. It should show a 32411128919 which while it is currently out of stock most places, is still available. Usually they show the new number when it's superseded, but not this time.
Thanks! Completely missed the other diagram.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Every E28 that I have bought has come with spare parts from the PO. I also almost always get a copy of the Bentley manual as well. The filter I used came in one of the cars that I have parted and was original-

After seeing the value of the filter and noticing a hum in the '85 535i, I am picking up one of the ****8919 filters. All of the ones that I have seen are between $25-$30. FCP, EEuroparts and even eBay. Good luck sourcing one but I think you should have no problem.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Seems this doesn't apply to the 528e, unless I am mistaken.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

glowell222 wrote: Jan 05, 2021 2:08 PM Seems this doesn't apply to the 528e, unless I am mistaken.
That's what I've always heard, but it appears both visually and by part number to be the same as E39s use, which is the reservoir has an integral filter, meaning you replace the whole thing. The good news is they're available and not expensive.
32411097164 OEM
ZF Power Steering Reservoir; With Integral Filter
In Stock Status
In Stock
Ships within 1 Business Day
The filter on this original reservoir is not replaceable separately, must replace entire reservoir. 1 per car.
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c/bm ... s=d&page=1

glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Cool-thanks MikeW.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

I have one and I've been meaning to do this.. Is installation as easy as pulling it out of the bottom of the reservoir and putting the new one in?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Dale3783 wrote: Jan 05, 2021 7:46 PM I have one and I've been meaning to do this.. Is installation as easy as pulling it out of the bottom of the reservoir and putting the new one in?
Not quite. There's a little C ring you have to remove, then the strainer, then you have access to the filter which just pulls out. Easy easy job though.
cek

Post by cek »

I had no idea. Even after replacing the hoses, brake bomb, etc.. when I pulled the engine. Damn.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 05, 2021 8:11 PM
Dale3783 wrote: Jan 05, 2021 7:46 PM I have one and I've been meaning to do this.. Is installation as easy as pulling it out of the bottom of the reservoir and putting the new one in?
Not quite. There's a little C ring you have to remove, then the strainer, then you have access to the filter which just pulls out. Easy easy job though.
I would add removing fluid- seems obvious but...
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I recently (before Christmas) ordered a few things from Pelican and included the P/S filter in my order because I knew it had been a while in either car.

The sent my order but indicated they could NOT provide the P/S filter, the one ending in 919 and cancelled that... :(
danielpouch

Post by danielpouch »

Chasing down a hydroboost issue in my car and figured I would start with the filter. Has anyone ran the car without it? (temporary, for testing purposes). I've tried the dealer and just about every parts outlet known to man but it seems like the only way to get a 919 filter is an NOS unit on eBay which I couldn't find. Dealer told me they were backordered and that I would be 147th in line. No thanks :)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I ran without it briefly while trying to sort things out. No issues. A few days at most is all I did, but that was how long it took me to figure things out not because there was a problem.

Looks like the big A still has a few in stock at 9:30 PM PST. Might not by morning depending on how many see this. Verify fitment yourself just to make sure, but I'm 99% sure it's the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Steering ... 5+BMW+535i
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Ebay listing-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Po ... 3236810604

Says that seller has 10+ left.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Jan 09, 2021 5:26 AM Ebay listing-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Po ... 3236810604

Says that seller has 10+ left.
And they do not have any. tried to purchase and although the transaction was accepted I later received a refund. Time for a solution.
ThaiTalion

Post by ThaiTalion »

Try FCP Euro, I ordered my filter from there. I had the same thing as the pics in the beginning.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

ThaiTalion wrote: Feb 27, 2021 1:02 PM Try FCP Euro, I ordered my filter from there. I had the same thing as the pics in the beginning.
Just saw this post so I hustled over there- "backordered, No ETA"...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Looks like you guys bought them out, I can usually find stuff but not so much this time. There is one, kind of, www.schmiedmann.com is showing them in stock in 5 days for $14. Not sure what shipping would be, but they don't weigh anything so it might not be too bad.
Fedaykin528e

Post by Fedaykin528e »

Looks like there was a run on these just as I was going to replace mine... I just had a European eBay seller tell me these are NLA too. Should we start a thread about continuation hacks? Anyone have any thoughts about using a paper oil filter?
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Check out this thread-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156117&p=1498317#p1498317

Potential substitution...

Something is bound to shake out.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Ivo has 4 each of parts numbers ending in 919 and 167. Shipping is one complete testicle (depending on the size- maybe partial testicle maybe one plus part of your other testicle) so the total cost will turn you into a gelding. But you have a filtered system. Your call.

https://www.e28.nl/en/product/bmw-e28-f ... 411128919/
thrty8street

Post by thrty8street »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 04, 2021 1:06 PM Looks like you guys bought them out, I can usually find stuff but not so much this time. There is one, kind of, www.schmiedmann.com is showing them in stock in 5 days for $14. Not sure what shipping would be, but they don't weigh anything so it might not be too bad.
I tried to order from them recently and my order was cancelled after being told the part is NLA from BMW.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

thrty8street wrote: Mar 25, 2021 1:13 PM
Mike W. wrote: Mar 04, 2021 1:06 PM Looks like you guys bought them out, I can usually find stuff but not so much this time. There is one, kind of, www.schmiedmann.com is showing them in stock in 5 days for $14. Not sure what shipping would be, but they don't weigh anything so it might not be too bad.
I tried to order from them recently and my order was cancelled after being told the part is NLA from BMW.
Oh well, I tried. :(