BMW Generations video: get ready to cringe

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Adam W in MN

BMW Generations video: get ready to cringe

Post by Adam W in MN »

This was so bad I was uncomfortable watching it, but I persevered through the inane dialog and premise.

It seems as though BMW marketing has declared war on their heritage.

Watch "A story of generations. BMW is a part of CES 2021." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/5o4kKuOFToo
Cactus

Re: BMW Generations video: get ready to cringe

Post by Cactus »

Old man voice in a car that isn't even old enough to drink? I want whatever they're smoking.

I know the marketing guys aren't necessarily connected to the rest of the company (or the ground), but it seems like they're going so far to distance themselves from their past that they don't even want repeat customers. This isn't the first ridiculous thing from their marketing team, and it'll be far from the last.

I guess we should just enjoy the fact that cars are still a thing. It seems like they'll go the way of the dodo in my lifetime.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Oh wow, that was bad.
I didn't make through the first 44 seconds before I was scrambling for the STOP button.
Carma_Cardan

Post by Carma_Cardan »

What a sickening, feminist piece of shit.
It's a shame.
God damn.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Clearly they are aiming for a different market than vintage fans. Video has more thumbs down than up...
Carma_Cardan

Post by Carma_Cardan »

God bless them..
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Sort of the automotive version of 'OK Boomer'.
I noticed the video has more thumbs down than thumbs up, which is pretty uncommon for YouTube videos.
Ken H.

Post by Ken H. »

The Internet equivalent of a wet f@rt.
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

Adam W in MN wrote: Jan 12, 2021 2:16 PM
It seems as though BMW marketing has declared war on their heritage.
Yes. They make new cars to make new money. They don't care who gets insulted in the process. Sounds like a familiar political trend.

There were some clever references in there to make me laugh; like connecting to the internet causes the alarm to go off. Darn those bugs.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

John SCB wrote: Jan 13, 2021 2:57 PM
Yes. They make new cars to make new money. They don't care who gets insulted in the process. Sounds like a familiar political trend.
Yeah, that's what everyone, and I have to keep reminding myself, seems to forget. Actually they seem to support the older stuff better than average, but not great. Perhaps only because they still make money off the older parts.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 13, 2021 4:02 PM
John SCB wrote: Jan 13, 2021 2:57 PM
Yeah, that's what everyone, and I have to keep reminding myself, seems to forget. Actually they seem to support the older stuff better than average, but not great. Perhaps only because they still make money off the older parts.
As has been stated before: BMW is in the business of selling new cars. Period.
Carma_Cardan

Post by Carma_Cardan »

Yes, it's all understandable. The way of commerce.

However, the question is, what does it feel like to be only condom on the crossroads of time?

Capitalism - zaebis.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

I thought it was enjoyable lol. I definitely laughed. The part where the 7 tried connecting to internet. I just watched it with the idea that it’s a joke/just for fun. I saw it the other day and didn’t expect the people I showed it to to say “eh, they could have done better”. Oh well. I think they should poke more fun at themselves but also bridge the gap between generations a bit to make them not seem so different from each other.

I think the reason the voice for the 7 was so old is just because it’s idrive 1 vs the newest version not because the 7 is that old of a chassis

Right now I feel like BMW is doing a good job of balancing building drivers cars or “the ultimate driving machine” while moving into the e car /tech phase
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

BMW has jumped the shark. Check out other terrible videos on their channel, like the ultimate driving simulation. It is all indicative of their new direction.

This is why I drive a Mercedes now and love it. Shit, I'm starting to sound like Duke, coming on here to talk about my Tiger.... I mean AMG.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

^^^ Now there's a line only the old-timers around here will get. Love inside jokes. :up:

Maybe I'll get around to watching the video at some point.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

OMFG. I sat through that entire pile of shit and I feel like I should carve out my eyes now...

OK, not really. A part of me thinks picking the E65 as the "old" car to make fun of was precisely the correct decision. They wouldn't dare have used any M3 or M5 as the "old" car. Had they dared even use any E30 or E28 or E36 or E34 or E46 or E39, etc., it would have actually pissed people off. The E65 was the car to make fun of. Certainly there is no love lost for iDrive, V1, and its dialup Internet. So that was OK.

But as this is a company about mobility, implying that old BMWs don't represent mobility as much as new BMWs, primarily because of what powers them... is kinda stupid. I get it, environmentally, but it seems to erase 100 years of history -- one can acknowledge that the future is in electricity (or hydrogen) without shitting on the past. This marketing drek is the ultimate "new is better than old in every way" promotion, implying that old is inherently bad in every way. That is what smacks in the face of everything we love about these cars -- that is where they lost ME.

The thing with the cars talking to each other, the stupid voices, and the surprised young woman in the building, with the guy running off to do a line, is just idiocy. Maybe it is cool to a 25-year-old. I guess I am just old now...
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

garageboy wrote: Jan 15, 2021 5:52 PM
The thing with the cars talking to each other, the stupid voices, and the surprised young woman in the building, with the guy running off to do a line, is just idiocy. Maybe it is cool to a 25-year-old. I guess I am just old now...
Lol I couldn't have said it better.

Interestingly, Porsche has done a great job introducing their electric cars without pissing on their heritage. Can you imagine them doing a dumbshit video like this with the Taycan and 996 911? I mean the 996 was the E65 7 series of Porsche.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

I thought Jack Baruth's "Avoidable Contact" column re: this video was outstanding. Here's the link off the Hagerty website:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/a ... er_Weekend
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Adam W in MN wrote: Jan 14, 2021 8:49 PM
This is why I drive a Mercedes now and love it. Shit, I'm starting to sound like Duke, coming on here to talk about my Tiger.... I mean AMG.
No, you're not starting to sound like Duke. Thankfully. Trust me, we'll let you know if you do. :laugh:
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

gray635 wrote: Jan 17, 2021 10:10 AM I thought Jack Baruth's "Avoidable Contact" column re: this video was outstanding. Here's the link off the Hagerty website:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/a ... er_Weekend
I swear! I am just reading this for the first time now!

I'm starting to think "Jack Baruth" is my pen-name... I mean, c'mon! Aside from re-iterating what I said earlier, what he said about the joy of my 127hp 5-speed 528e? That's too close for comfort. :rofl:
MShimon

Post by MShimon »

This made me actually laugh out loud unintentionally.
Mark in Toronto

Post by Mark in Toronto »

MShimon wrote: Feb 17, 2021 7:18 PM
This made me actually laugh out loud unintentionally.
Nice to hear you’re driving and loving an AMG and sounding like GI Joe. Maybe it’s time to update your avatar. :laugh:
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

This was very bad to me because it suggests that the brand's history starts with the e65. While infotainment is very important in cars, it is (or should be) the car itself that draws one to what we choose. In other words, one many never sit inside of the i whatever if there isn't something appealing about the car in the first place. ON that same note, even if a vehicle has an amazing interface, if it drives terribly there is a chance that many will walk away from it anyway.

I did find it interesting that they chose two of the worst looking grilles in the brand's history for the spot, however. At least we have our old cars to keep us entertained.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

BMW isn't very good about listening to consumers, they would rather argue with them over twitter.

https://www.core77.com/posts/102936/BMW ... Us-Its-You
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

I preferred the days when BMW was a German company. :)