Carpet Padding

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Isaac

Carpet Padding

Post by Isaac »

I am happy to share that after about 5 years of looking I finally acquired a decent llama carpet to replace the tattered one in my 88 535is. The trick is that the existing one has the bonded foam backing and the replacement carpet does not have padding. What do people recommend? Can I separate the foam backing from the old carpet and reuse it? Do people just use standard home carpet padding?
I was considering adding Dynamat while I have the carpet out. Does that suffice for the padding?
Thanks!
vinceg101

Re: Carpet Padding

Post by vinceg101 »

Dynamat (or any such butyl based sound deadener) is always a good idea and upgrade, but it's not enough alone.
With the older two piece carpet systems there was a series of closed-cell pads with brown vinyl caps that filled in all the voids in the floor. The single piece (like you had) were newer and had the padding attached to the carpet.
There are some decent sound absorbing mats that can be used to re-create the padding. I am and will be using more of a product from HeatSheild Products call "db Sniper". Look at Charlie's (cek) thread on either Minerva or Maytag, he installed a similar product.
cbumga11

Post by cbumga11 »

In the same situation with my vehicle. I have considered going to a fabric/craft store and buying foam the correct thickness/density and cutting to fill the voids. Without them the carpet pulls away from the door sills and looks terrible. I also considered laying down a layer of saran wrap material and then filling with a low expansion insulation foam. Once expanded, removing and trimming to fit. Feel free to shoot holes in my idea.
BillW in StL

Post by BillW in StL »

I would also be interested in Lama carpets for e28 and also a e24.

Yes, Dynamat is one type of sound deadening that is applied in in the center of metal panels. Not enough alone. I think that the factory-type sound deadening is good, and more might be better.

I always like the idea of using the silver bubblewrap-type insulation under the roof, for temperature insulation.

MY QUESTION: What about laying your new, non-backed carpet directly over the old carpet?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

BillW in StL wrote: Jan 13, 2021 1:57 PM MY QUESTION: What about laying your new, non-backed carpet directly over the old carpet?
It's likely to be too thick to fit in and under all the trim. The fitment will be off to (e.g. corners, openings, etc.).