Window lock strip price gouging

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
legionnaire1856

Window lock strip price gouging

Post by legionnaire1856 »

Bavauto has our windshield and rear window lock strips for $101...each! The 3 lock strips on the rear window, as in the lower left and right and the single upper are 101 dollars each! If I wanted to redo my rear window lock strips it would be $303 dollars...they NEVER used to cost that much. The other companies who have them online are just as bad on price...do these companies get together and decide that none of them will go below a certain price for this stuff? It's price gouging.

Lots of parts for these old cars cost a fortune and I fail to understand why...NOS parts for these cars are outrageous and they aren't particularly desirable or fast. A gas tank costs $850 when it should be $300 maybe. They've got us over a barrel for sure.
Mike W.

Re: Window lock strip price gouging

Post by Mike W. »

Yes, they have gone up. A lot. But the old trick of buying one for the windshield of an E21 still works, since it goes all the way around, including on the bottom, just trim to size and one is long enough. Still not inexpensive, but $92 at Autohaus is a lot better than 300+. There used to be aftermarket ones available, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore, just OE BMW.

You fail to understand the pricing? Easy, they want to make money. More money. Not much aftermarket anymore on 30+ year old cars to keep the price down. Not many car companies even still carry much for cars from the 80s.
legionnaire1856

Post by legionnaire1856 »

Mike W. wrote:Yes, they have gone up. A lot. But the old trick of buying one for the windshield of an E21 still works, since it goes all the way around, including on the bottom, just trim to size and one is long enough. Still not inexpensive, but $92 at Autohaus is a lot better than 300+. There used to be aftermarket ones available, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore, just OE BMW.

You fail to understand the pricing? Easy, they want to make money. More money. Not much aftermarket anymore on 30+ year old cars to keep the price down. Not many car companies even still carry much for cars from the 80s.
I've seen a lot of parts options for our cars go away in the last 10 years alone...and I think the next 10 years is going to be so difficult that it just won't be an option for me to own one anymore. They'll be 40 years old then. I'm going to drive the piss out of the ones I've got for the next few years and send them on their way. This car hits the wallet like a heroin habit.
Chimi-Changa

Post by Chimi-Changa »

You can use the e30 rear "one" piece for the back glass, too
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

The fact that OEM parts are still available at all amazes me. The prices can be crazy for sure on some things but what can you do.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

E28 front lock strip is long enough to do the rear window with several inches left over. I understand the profile of the E21 strip is similar, yet different - haven't tried to make them work.
Last edited by John in VA on Oct 07, 2017 8:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

At some point someone will step up and start making aftermarket replacement parts, then everyone will complain about how they don't fit properly.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

bkbimmer wrote:At some point someone will step up and start making aftermarket replacement parts, then everyone will complain about how they don't fit properly.
We're already complaining about parts quality, and that's for parts coming directly from BMW (many examples of 2002 body parts & gaskets not fitting properly).
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

John in VA wrote:E28 front lock strip is long enough to do the rear window with several inches left over. I understand the profile of the E21 strip is similar, yet different - haven't tried to make them work.
I think E21 is the same. E30, in black at least, is similar, workable, but slightly smaller.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

legionnaire1856 wrote:Bavauto has our windshield and rear window lock strips for $101...each! The 3 lock strips on the rear window, as in the lower left and right and the single upper are 101 dollars each! It's price gouging.

Lots of parts for these old cars cost a fortune and I fail to understand why...NOS parts for these cars are outrageous and they aren't particularly desirable or fast. A gas tank costs $850 when it should be $300 maybe. They've got us over a barrel for sure.
Have you heard of supply and demand pricing?

BMW ordered 1,475,263 sets of windshield molding lock strips when the E28 was a production model. They have 1508 left and see that pile dwindling quickly. They want folks to find another way as they are not interested in releasing the manufacturing documents and having them reproduced. This has happened to 236 different parts over the years for our cars and it will continue as more parts become in short supply. Then they go NLA and you are SOL. These are all under a c-note at Tischer.

The pricing of the work and parts for these cars is why many of us DIY. Not DIYing them can be expensive.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

John in VA wrote:
bkbimmer wrote:At some point someone will step up and start making aftermarket replacement parts, then everyone will complain about how they don't fit properly.
We're already complaining about parts quality, and that's for parts coming directly from BMW (many examples of 2002 body parts & gaskets not fitting properly).
I was being obtuse.
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

Bumping this thread from three years ago, because lock strips are still super expensive. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Anything else I can buy to use as lock strips? I pulled my rear windshield out and managed to snap some of my lock strips several times since they are so brittle.

I also pulled out the aluminum trim, causing it to have a long steady bend. I read later that I wasn't supposed to pull that out. Oops.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 07, 2021 11:06 AM Bumping this thread from three years ago, because lock strips are still super expensive. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Anything else I can buy to use as lock strips?
I knew the metal parts were getting expensive or no longer available, but haven't priced the plastic lock strips for years. You can save a few $$ by purchasing two front ones & cut one to fit the back. Some have used the late E30 ones, but the profile is not quite the same. Have you priced them with BMW dealers with internet parts sales, like getbmwparts.com, mybimmerparts.com, bmwoffairfaxparts.com?
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

The world-renowned E28 Goodies crew has aftermarket lock strips that have received quite good feedback from those that have received them.

The problem is, you need to roll the dice with E28 Goodies to get them.

https://e28goodies.com/product/8551/

E21 lock strips have risen in price considerably in recent years but are still cheaper than buying the E28 parts if I recall correctly.
Nosis

Post by Nosis »

I'm presently waiting for this product from e28goodies. I've bought several items from them with no problem. My advice is to click and forget because it takes them 2-3 weeks to ship and then shipping transit is another 2-4 weeks. I have no problem with this as I expect it. If you're not cool waiting I would look elsewhere.
Cheers.

SlickDizzy wrote: Jan 07, 2021 1:14 PM The world-renowned E28 Goodies crew has aftermarket lock strips that have received quite good feedback from those that have received them.

The problem is, you need to roll the dice with E28 Goodies to get them.

https://e28goodies.com/product/8551/

E21 lock strips have risen in price considerably in recent years but are still cheaper than buying the E28 parts if I recall correctly.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Nosis wrote: Jan 07, 2021 3:24 PM I'm presently waiting for this product from e28goodies. I've bought several items from them with no problem. My advice is to click and forget because it takes them 2-3 weeks to ship and then shipping transit is another 2-4 weeks. I have no problem with this as I expect it. If you're not cool waiting I would look elsewhere.
Cheers.
I'm not sure they present it that way, but if you know and understand that going in, no big deal. It's the cost of speciality parts for a 35 year old car.
iamcreepingdeath

So what is the difference between all the offerings at E28goodies?

There is this, "front/rear/ window mouldings" for 19 eur: https://e28goodies.com/product/frontrea ... mouldings/

Them there is "Front/Rear window mouldings e28goodies reproduction" at 24 eur: https://e28goodies.com/product/front-re ... roduction/

And then there is "Front/Rear window mouldings in chrome – new version!" (fopr 69 eur) which appears to be chrome only, and the ad refers to the black version, and the "budget friendly option": https://e28goodies.com/product/8551/
Last edited by iamcreepingdeath on Jan 08, 2021 12:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Prices are in Euros not GBP.

Best regards,

Mick
iamcreepingdeath

Ordnator wrote: Jan 08, 2021 12:11 PM Prices are in Euros not GBP.

Best regards,

Mick
Ha ha good catch!! That lowers the price a little!
iamcreepingdeath

Found this blog on E28 goodies showing their "budget friendly" lock strip. Looks like OEM from some other manufacturer meant for another vehicle, but they claim it works...

https://e28goodies.com/diy-fitting-e28g ... ndow-trim/
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 08, 2021 12:44 PM Found this blog on E28 goodies showing their "budget friendly" lock strip. Looks like OEM from some other manufacturer meant for another vehicle, but they claim it works...

https://e28goodies.com/diy-fitting-e28g ... ndow-trim/
My understanding from those who have purchased the various options and given feedback in the E28 Facebook group is that the 69 Euro "new" version is the only one worth a damn.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Granted I'm not the one trying to save some bucks here, and god knows I've spent hours chasing pennies, but the official BMW stuff isn't all that expensive if you do the E21 windshield option and trim to fit. $92 from Autohaus and $72 from Schmiedmann. X2 of course to do both front and rear.
iamcreepingdeath

Mike W. wrote: Jan 08, 2021 3:56 PM Granted I'm not the one trying to save some bucks here, and god knows I've spent hours chasing pennies, but the official BMW stuff isn't all that expensive if you do the E21 windshield option and trim to fit. $92 from Autohaus and $72 from Schmiedmann. X2 of course to do both front and rear.
So the E21 lock strip is identical in cross section to the E28 stuff?

Also, I assume they don't offer the E21 stuff in black. I would prefer black, which is one of the reasons I was leaning towards the E28goodies one. Looks like the E28goodies black stuff is aftermarket manufactured.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 08, 2021 4:31 PM
So the E21 lock strip is identical in cross section to the E28 stuff?
Yes, it is identical. E30 molding is similar, however slightly smaller. E21 is the same.
Also, I assume they don't offer the E21 stuff in black. I would prefer black, which is one of the reasons I was leaning towards the E28goodies one. Looks like the E28goodies black stuff is aftermarket manufactured.
I believe you're correct there, I don't think black was ever an option on E21s.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Of course the black ones are the hardest to get right! I wanted to do away with all the chrome bits on mine.

All in all e28's are pretty pocket book friendly. My last Rx7 got the back glass knocked out by a thief so they could steal my stereo. $800 for the rear glass, $350 for the trim around the stereo and $500 for the leather they tore on the driver's seat. All for a $50 pawn shop special stereo. All the while the doors were unlocked. The cops dusted the door handles and got nothing but my own prints.

And they wonder why we have so much violence these days....