St. Paddy’s Day 2021 - San Diego - Cancelled

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

St. Paddy’s Day 2021 - San Diego - Cancelled

Post by wkohler »

It’s that time of year! The time where you see a very informative post on everyone’s favorite E28-centric gathering. It’s got maps, photos of past events, lots of jokes and sarcastic comments about lodging discounts and even a nifty vintage post card.

Last year, after considerable preparation, the Coronavirus pandemic swept in. There were lots of discussions about how to handle this and uneasiness amongst some of the group. It looked like something might still happen then almost like clockwork, a “stay-at-home” order was issued for the State of California. Hokayfine, give it a few weeks and see what happens. We rescheduled for May. It wasn’t too long after that it was cancelled altogether since prospects were grim. Then the rest of the year continued to disappoint.

Welcome to the new year and we are keeping the disappointment train rolling to the station. There will be NO EVENT IN 2021.

Is it possible that this might change? Change is inevitable and anything is possible. Will we keep you posted if it does? Maybe.

Well, actually if something does change we will let you know. For me personally, it was the second bad piece of news I’ve gotten in as many days. I know I’m not the only one that’s been looking forward to this.
Motronic

Re: St. Paddy’s Day 2021 - San Diego - Cancelled

Post by Motronic »

I'm coming anyway just to lean my ass on the tail quarter of an M5.
Greg E34

Post by Greg E34 »

I’ll subscribe. Just in case.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

And "20th" Anniversary Meet had such a nice ring to it...
I heard that at the current rate vaccines are being given, it will take 11 years for everyone to get one. I'll be looking forward to St. Paddy's 30th anniversary meet.

Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Maybe I'll make the weekend trek for a socially distanced Angeles Crest or Glendora run!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Well, can't say I terribly surprised given the state of current affairs right now and what is likely to unfold over the next 30-45 days. While I was fully expecting it to be postponed to later in the year, perhaps not counting on it entirely is a better way to go; that way if it does happen it will be a gift of sorts.

When we were designing and making all the 2020 T-Shirts (which are now somewhat a collector's item?), I was thinking ahead to the 20th Anniversary edition. I guess we will make the 21st Anniversary designs something special (I was even thinking special edition Polo shirts).

Well, I decided to dive into a new project for the M535i so not having the March deadline looming is a bit of a blessing (not that I stood a chance of finishing it by then, but one can dream).

It's been a pretty hard week when this time usually should be all about renewal, hope for the future, and looking ahead; so far the bad taste that is 2020 is still lingering into the New Year like someone's trout leftovers in the lunchroom microwave.

I guess I'll have to break the news to my Farrah Mug she's not going to get wet in March (umm, maybe I phrased that wrong...)
cek

Post by cek »

So what?

I'm driving Minerva from Salt Lake to Sandy Eggo that weekend anyway. I'll be staying at Karl Grau's Haus whether he invites me or not, whether he's there or not. And I'm drinking all his booze.

Fuck COVID.
Philo

Post by Philo »

I'll come, regardless of what's going on I'll keep myself safe. Fuck Garcetti and Grusom Nuesom. And yeah, I don't care if I misspelled their names. Sorry, getting back on track, I'm going because I want to see Minerva up close and personal.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Philo wrote: Jan 03, 2021 9:14 PM I'll come, regardless of what's going on I'll keep myself safe. Fuck Garcetti and Grusom Nuesom.
LOL, in twenty years you've never been to SPD event but you're coming this year?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I’m going to do some work and figure out how I can explain the term “cancelled” more clearly.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

wkohler wrote: Jan 03, 2021 9:30 PM I’m going to do some work and figure out how I can explain the term “cancelled” more clearly.
can·cel
/ˈkansəl/
Learn to pronounce
verb past tense: cancelled; past participle: cancelled
1.decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place. "he was forced to cancel his visit"
Similar: call off,abandon,scrap,drop,postpone,mothball,scrub,scratch,axe,nix,redline
2.(of a factor or circumstance) neutralize or negate the force or effect of (another).
cek

Post by cek »

If an event was never scheduled, can it really be canceled?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

How do you know it was never scheduled? This is the customary time to announce.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Useless (or maybe not) trivia: Both "canceled" and "cancelled" are correct spellings, though one "l" is the accepted American spelling, and two is the accepted British spelling. Why? According to this website, apparently, when Noah Webster started his American English dictionary, he tended to simplify British spellings for American use. 'Murica!

Anyhow, see you in 2022.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Was it Winston Churchill who observed that we are two nations separated by a common language...

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick (Limey)
cek

Post by cek »

wkohler wrote: Jan 04, 2021 12:47 PM How do you know it was never scheduled? This is the customary time to announce.
I was just asking a general lexicon question. I love lexicon. My sister bought me a copy of this when I was 9.

https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Lex-Amazing- ... =ceklog-20
Philo

Post by Philo »

What..! I came last year :)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Philo wrote: Jan 05, 2021 8:49 PM What..! I came last year :)
No, last year was canceled. You did come the year before after I'd harassed you for a few years. IIRC this was your most impressive M5. :up:

Philo

Post by Philo »

Ahh yes.., I'm still suffering from a drunken time lapse after visiting that distillery :lol: Thanks for the kudos, still lots of work to get done.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Motronic wrote: Jan 02, 2021 6:45 PM I'm coming anyway just to lean my ass on the tail quarter of an M5.
I LOL'd
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Words cannot express my disappointment strongly enough.
formula1_euro

Post by formula1_euro »

Hey guys, the San Diego BMW CCA is having a meet up at the Point Loma Cars and Coffee Saturday March 13th. It’s the next best thing to the St Paddy’s Day meet up! LJ Independent is gonna bring some cool cars like their batmobile CSL I’m told. Come out and check it out!!!! Fill the place up with E28s!

8-10am

At the Slaters 50/50 parking area.

See you there.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: Jan 02, 2021 7:11 PM And "20th" Anniversary Meet had such a nice ring to it...
I heard that at the current rate vaccines are being given, it will take 11 years for everyone to get one. I'll be looking forward to St. Paddy's 30th anniversary meet.

It can still be the 20 anniversary, except it might be the 19th. If it doesn't happen this year, and it won't, the next time it does happen should be the 20th, or 19th or whatever. It doesn't count in the sequence if it doesn't happen.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Where was everybody this morning? :cry:

Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 12, 2021 8:13 PM
Karl Grau wrote: Jan 02, 2021 7:11 PM And "20th" Anniversary Meet had such a nice ring to it...

It can still be the 20 anniversary, except it might be the 19th. If it doesn't happen this year, and it won't, the next time it does happen should be the 20th, or 19th or whatever. It doesn't count in the sequence if it doesn't happen.
Ummmm...there may be something later this year. An idea has been kicked around. If it comes to fruition, I think you will be happy. :rockon: :up: :beer: :wave: