Hoovie's Garage - e30 325iX

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
stuartinmn

Hoovie's Garage - e30 325iX

Post by stuartinmn »

On the Hoovie's Garage Youtube channel, he typically goes out and buys the cheapest exotic car (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.) he can find and then gets his ace mechanics to try to fix them up. This time around, he got practical and bought a low mile 1989 e30 325iX that's in really nice shape except for the need for a lot of deferred maintenance (it's only had about 10,000 miles put on it in the last 15 years.) Interestingly, according to the dealer trunk badge the car was originally sold at Motorwerks BMW here in Minneapolis.

Where these videos apply to the e28 world is he shows how simple and easy BMWs were to work on back in the 1980s, as opposed to today's cars.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxd2gfVVXxs
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjBwejZQios
SeattleGuy

Re: Hoovie's Garage - e30 325iX

Post by SeattleGuy »

Right on thanks for finding that. It's a fun show for sure. I'll peep it out m8 enjoy your weekend.
C
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

A friend pointed those out to me yesterday; didn't have time to check them out until now. Good stuff!

And at about 18:45 in the first video there's a black e28 on the lift in the background!
offroadkarter

Post by offroadkarter »

I wouldn't say he "typically" goes out and buys an old exotic, yes he's done it, but all of his earlier work is buying generic cars like 500 dollar town cars or park avenue ultras and doing videos on them. He generally hasn't had good experiences with BMWs (because he buys truly awful ones like E65s)
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Yeah I spotted the old dealer badge on the back and wondered. I hope Tyler has better luck with this car because he has picked some awful ones, like the E65 Alpina B7.
JWCIV

Post by JWCIV »

He has a video on an e28 535i but I don’t think it was one of his cars. It was controversially titled something like “the e28 is worth $50,000” cause it was around the time of that Bronzit car on BaT
TommyJo

Post by TommyJo »

Ha! This video reminded me of my old dreams and led me to reflect on this forum again. And this forum leads me back to this video)
I love Hoovie's Garage. There's something about this show ... Fascinating.
It's nice to spend time where all users are like-minded people about old BMWs)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I guess I’ll have to break my Hoovie embargo. I did this once before for the m coupe that ended up just being a sales video. To put it mildly, I’m not a fan. On the note of suggesting how easy the cars are to work on, in the E28 video he called it a “back to basics” luxury car or something and when you consider what the car was in the time period, it was anything but.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I'm not a particular fan either but the videos popped up in the list of suggested videos when I was looking at YouTube, so I gave it a look. I do get tired of his schtick, but thought his rant on modern BMWs was worth passing on.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I appreciate you doing that as I wouldn’t have clicked on it until reading this.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

wkohler wrote: Dec 07, 2020 11:35 AM I guess I’ll have to break my Hoovie embargo. I did this once before for the m coupe that ended up just being a sales video. To put it mildly, I’m not a fan. On the note of suggesting how easy the cars are to work on, in the E28 video he called it a “back to basics” luxury car or something and when you consider what the car was in the time period, it was anything but.
word
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I'm still a devoted Hoovie watcher. Doug Demuro however can suck it, talk about tired schtick.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

so you're not into Doug's quirks and features?
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

You'd think with all the car content on YouTube, I'd like some of it. I'm in Kohler's boat, I just don't care for hoovie that much. I got bored with Doug ages ago.

Trucks! reruns are great though.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I don't watch Hoovie very much, but thanks to him I came upon his main mechanic's youtube channel, Car Wizard. Very informative and gives good advice to both casual consumer and people working in the field.
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

There is tons of good automotive content on youtube, well atleast if you enjoy seeing project cars being built or fabbed. There are a ton of crappy review channels. I used to watch the motortrend/roadkill stuff before they started charging, which is fine because they ran out of ideas right about then.

I like the hoonigan build content, they have a mini series where 2 teams or two people build cars on a 10k budget. Unlike every other show where they throw sponsored parts at it, the people who are doing the builds show some pretty smart tricks if you do fabricating. '

Heres a link to the drag one, the gen1 rx7 made it real interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJDvhyY_sQ0

If your into 2 wheels RMC ATV has a couple mini series on buying old dirtbikes for challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBNr9G ... eyJRvQg3No
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I like Uncle Tony's Garage. I'm not really into vintage Mopar muscle so much but he gets more into the philosophy of hot rodding rather than the specifics of "connect this to that". He seems like the kind of car guy you might want to hang out with for an afternoon and BS with, where quite frankly a lot of car folks I want nothing to do with. You can only listen to so many people tell you your car is the wrong brand, model, too old, too new, the wrong color, fitted with the wrong parts, and on the wrong wheels for so long.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Hoovie just picked up two beautiful Lambos, the dream of every kid of the 80's. I feel like I am living vicariously through his excitement and disbelief of owning these and can't wait for more videos.

Yes to answer an earlier comment, I can't stand Doug's tired quirks and features routine.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Adam W in MN wrote: Jan 01, 2021 11:53 AM Hoovie just picked up two beautiful Lambos, the dream of every kid of the 80's.
I watched that video last night. He didn't mention how much he paid for them but indicated it was a screaming deal. I prefer the earlier Countach with less flairs and wings and such, but that one certainly is an icon of its era.

I was admiring the size of his garage and the car lifts used to store all his other cars. He has come a long way in a short few years of car collecting.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I can't fault the guy too much. I'd prefer a little more hands on, but he has his shtick and its obviously paying off. I wonder how much of that is just who he is, and how much of it is the camera personality.

also watching someone do donuts in the snow with a Lambo is just funny.
Snoopy11

Post by Snoopy11 »

The guy is a "Youtuber genius" if you ask me. I too don't follow his channel much but in the two times I have this is what I gathered:

There is a massive audience that will click on content-creators that supposedly make fun of themselves, admitting to mistake decisions etc etc.
Throw in some interesting cars, houses and he is monetizing big time. Whether he is flipping for a gain or a loss his success on youtube/sponsors etc. is making up for any shortfalls. He also put his mechanic on the map and I am sure that is somehow reciprocated on the work received. All smart on his end. kudos.

He is the Mr Bean of youtube and its working like a charm imho.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Mr. Bean didn’t talk and that would be much preferred to the sound of his voice.
Snoopy11

Post by Snoopy11 »

wkohler wrote: Mar 07, 2021 11:40 AM Mr. Bean didn’t talk and that would be much preferred to the sound of his voice.
That's hilarious. I agree 100%
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I disagree, I like his schtick and voice. And his Countach.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

wkohler wrote: Dec 07, 2020 11:35 AM I guess I’ll have to break my Hoovie embargo. I did this once before for the m coupe that ended up just being a sales video. To put it mildly, I’m not a fan. On the note of suggesting how easy the cars are to work on, in the E28 video he called it a “back to basics” luxury car or something and when you consider what the car was in the time period, it was anything but.
Hoovie and his boss Doug Demuro are too young to know anything.