Spark Plug Wire End Connector

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
MattC

Spark Plug Wire End Connector

Post by MattC »

Hi Guys,

I have a set of new Bremi spark plug wires and the ignition coil wire comes with one end connector detached. I believe this is so we can route it through the rubber boot.

The very short instructions say it screws on, but I'm not seeing how this would work and make a proper connection.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
Matt
Mike W.

Re: Spark Plug Wire End Connector

Post by Mike W. »

Hmm, I'm guessing you have a late 84 533? The reason I say that is because it sounds like you have a B35 wire set, which will work on late 533s or B34s, but not earlier 533s.

Anyway, I don't know about your set specifically, but many earlier BMW wire sets had what amounted to a screw in the connectors, that the wire did in fact screw onto. Look into the connector and see if you have what I'm talking about.
MattC

Post by MattC »

Hi Mike, thanks for the quick input.
I have an 02/84 533i with bolt-on rotor.

This is the original wire I'm replacing:

Here's the replacement wire. The brief instruction says to screw on, but very hard to tell looking inside if this is possible.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Its correct and how the coil wires come from Bremi. Cut to fit your car, it should have come with a small tube of grease, just apply a little of the grease on the wire end and feed it in and screw it onto the boot. It'll stop turning when its tight.
MattC

Post by MattC »

Thanks Kojo! Sounds straight forward and matches the instructions. Do I need to strip any wire insulation away before screwing into the connector?
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

No, just cut to length and screw it on. Shine a flashlight in the boot, you'll see the prong that the wire screws into.
MattC

Post by MattC »

I see. Interesting! Thanks for all the help!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I step away for a couple of hours and Kojo has it all figured out for you. I first saw your pictures before seeing his posts and I was going to say, I see a screw in there, but he took care of it for you. :up:
MattC

Post by MattC »

Thanks again guys... I followed Kojo's steps and everything seemed to go fine. Road tested satisfactorily.