'80 528i: new project

Post your photos and videos here!
Hffvdbl

'80 528i: new project

Post by Hffvdbl »

So, I found another e12 to work on as the '79 528i I had bought a few years ago just needs to much (engine bay fire that came into the dash)

This is the link to that car:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=136209&start=25

Found this new one in Reno on craigslist.

1980 528i
Polaris Silver
black cloth
slicktop
automatic
~111k miles
inop a/c (just needs a charge :laugh: )

Seems like a pretty nice car, I cant find rust anywhere really which is nice. The flip side of buying dry California/Nevada cars is that the rubber bits and interior are all sunbaked and dry as well. So the first thing I did was replace the engine bay fuel lines as they were functioning more as soaker hoses.

I'll add more as I progress.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Re: '80 528i: new project

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Subscribed!
What's the plan for the powerplant?
cek

Post by cek »

Nebraska_e28 wrote: Sep 08, 2020 1:06 PM Subscribed!
Ditto.
Zengineer

Post by Zengineer »

Hffvdbl wrote: Aug 29, 2020 2:18 PM I cant find rust anywhere really which is nice. The flip side of buying dry California/Nevada cars is that the rubber bits and interior are all sunbaked and dry as well. So the first thing I did was replace the engine bay fuel lines as they were functioning more as soaker hoses.
Well don't I know this to be truth! We both need a PNW parts car to combine it with, lol.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

Nebraska_e28 wrote: Sep 08, 2020 1:06 PM Subscribed!
Great question LJ and Charlie. All motor or forced induction? I'm thinking something with 24 valves and high compression or something with 12 valves and a snail. Or maybe something with 24 valves and snail :evil:
Zengineer

Post by Zengineer »

Do I hear a 24v and 2 snails? Or maybe a compounding setup with a supercharger. :D
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

I was able to get some help from my buddy to get the bumpers built and mounted, euro headlights swapped on, and got some tires mounted on the BBS Mahles that I bought for this a few years ago. Mounting the bumpers was fun! Not bad really compared to the couple of e28s I've euro converted. This thing is really a lot of fun to drive.

Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Those bumpers made a huge improvement on the lines for that car. I like the Euro bumpers on the E28 but they radically transform the E12. More pics!
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

Looking great. Now the sidemarkers need to be deleted. Looking forward to seeing the progression.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Love the transformation so far, keep up the great progress.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Noooo don't delete the sidemarkers! The massive ones in front are such a cool feature, love them

Awesome project.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

Making some more progress here and there. Decided to try the full french euro setup instead of just the high beams. The high beams are Hella but I had these Cibie low beams and really wanted to try them out. I like the look and I don't mind the light at night.

Drove it to work the other day. Always forget how tiny these cars are compared to more modern vehicles. Thats a Hyundai or Kia next to me in the parking garage.

Tried my staggered set of style 5s on the car for fun. TOO BIG The rear tires are 255-40/17. I also didn't like the look really. Much prefer the 16" BBS Mahle wheels

Thought this was a cool picture with my wife's e61 and the e24

Foonfer wrote: Oct 21, 2020 10:25 PM Noooo don't delete the sidemarkers! The massive ones in front are such a cool feature, love them

Awesome project.
Thanks Foonfer, I really don't mind the side markers in the front.
Adam W in MN wrote: Oct 21, 2020 1:16 AM Love the transformation so far, keep up the great progress.
Thanks Adam, your M535i is an inspiration for sure.
muleskinner wrote: Oct 20, 2020 9:31 AM Looking great. Now the sidemarkers need to be deleted. Looking forward to seeing the progression.
Thanks, I'll try to post progress regularly
Bonsaibacker wrote: Oct 20, 2020 6:26 AM Those bumpers made a huge improvement on the lines for that car. I like the Euro bumpers on the E28 but they radically transform the E12. More pics!
I feel the same way about the e28 vs e12 transformation. It made me appreciate the styling in the rear of the car. Almost a boat tail type shape. I have BBS front and rear spoilers but I'm hesitant to add them for now.

What's next:
I need to do some maintenance things like pads, plugs and a coolant flush but my next big thing is a 5 speed swap. Initially I didnt mind the automatic but it is dangerous in traffic trying to pull out from side streets because it is so slow off the line.