FS: A/C Solutions Sanden R134a Conversion Kit

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
austin_caccavo

FS: A/C Solutions Sanden R134a Conversion Kit

Post by austin_caccavo »

After months of R&D, I am excited to share a new product for the E28 chassis: a complete, plug and play, E28 Sanden Conversion Kit

Now available for purchase here: http://www.acsolutions.co

Edited on 3/20/22 to reflect 2022 product line (updated photos coming soon)

Designed and engineered for the enthusiast, this conversion kit offers a complete, plug-and-play upgrade to the A/C system in the E28 to R134a using a modern Sanden compressor, larger parallel flow condenser, new R134a lines, and all the necessary supporting bracketry. This upgrade will result in colder A/C vent temperatures, less strain on the engine, and a more efficient and durable A/C system.

What’s in the box?
- Sanden SD5H14 (508) compressor
- Adjustable compressor bracket
- Parallel flow condenser (for use with OEM fan)
- Low-pressure suction line (bulkhead to compressor)
- High-pressure discharge line (compressor to drier)
- High-pressure drier return line (condenser to drier)
- OE filter drier
- Continental v-belt
- Compressor mounting hardware
- R134a engine bay o-ring kit
- Detailed installation instructions

This product requires no R&D, and is easily reversible using professionally engineered components, OEM-like hardware, and durable replacement parts resulting in a trouble-free installation that can be completed in under 4 hours by a professional. It is designed to tuck neatly under the rad cover while providing ample clearance around the factory oil cooler and OEM brake ducting/undertray.

This kit assumes your vehicle is stock and still retains all original equipment. If you have aftermarket headers, please contact us before ordering. It is designed to use the OEM aux fan, high-pressure switch (on drier), and high-pressure drier return line, along with proper functionality of the evaporator, expansion valve, and HVAC sensors.

Fits the following models: 533i, 535i, 535is, M5 (including M88 headers)

Note: Early model cars will need the later engine bracket(s): 64521717007 (M20); 64521284953 (M30). And late model cars with fuel coolers will have to be capped and removed.

Last edited by austin_caccavo on Mar 20, 2022 1:53 PM, edited 4 times in total.
fred633

Re: FS: E28 Sanden R134a Upgrade Kit

Post by fred633 »

How much for complete kit for none AC car?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Not cheap, but a complete kit where all you have to do is bolt things up could save days of work, and you need a profit to see a return on the engineering.

One caveat, I hope you're not seeing discharge temps of 29F, below freezing tends to lead to evaporator icing, but the pressure/temps ratios on 134a are probably close enough to R12 that won't happen with a stock expansion valve.

GLWS
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

fred633 wrote:How much for complete kit for none AC car?
To install on a non-AC car, you will need an aux fan, high-pressure switch (on drier), high-pressure drier return line, AC-specific center console, AC box, evaporator, expansion valve, HVAC sensors, and various other bulkhead lines/components.
Mike W. wrote:Not cheap, but a complete kit where all you have to do is bolt things up could save days of work, and you need a profit to see a return on the engineering.

One caveat, I hope you're not seeing discharge temps of 29F, below freezing tends to lead to evaporator icing, but the pressure/temps ratios on 134a are probably close enough to R12 that won't happen with a stock expansion valve.

GLWS
Thank you! It is a very easy and quick install. Currently, there have been no issues with the evaporator freezing over as the evaporator regulator and temp sensor limit this from happening.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

I have a similar upgrade on my E23 (though I do have a new aux fan also). It blows at low 40s (about 1500 rpm) with R134.

The LCW support bracket and the Sanden compressor coupled with an upgraded condenser are wonderful! Highly recommended if you want to use R134.
Spen

Post by Spen »

What a wonderful example of independent free enterprise solving problems and providing alternative solutions, specifically for e28 lovers!

I sincerely hope several of us forum members take their freshly printed government confetti payoff bucks and do something useful, like picking up one of these kits before the dollar loses it's last few percentage points.

Frankly, it's a bargain for everything included and I am grateful to be able to offer a solution to any potebtial clients who suffer from AC cost and expense of upkeep for their classic E28.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

I am going for it. It has been on my list to upgrade the AC. It was converted to R134 in the past. Austin did point out in an Email that the "fuel cooler will need to be capped off at the firewall and removed".
Zeuropa

Post by Zeuropa »

Why is it not compatible with 533i/B32? Nice kit regardless. Love the craftsmanship.

Thanks
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Just came here to say great initiative!
:D
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Zeuropa wrote:Why is it not compatible with 533i/B32? Nice kit regardless. Love the craftsmanship.

Thanks
Double check with Austin. I have a b32 on my 733i and had to get a b34 compressor mount. I don't know if there are any other differences, especially E28 vs. E23...but I think they are similar.

Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Fits the following North American BMW models: E28 535i, E28 535is, and E28 M5, and provides ample clearance around the M88 headers, factory oil cooler, and OEM brake ducting/undertray.

It is designed to use your original aux fan, high-pressure switch (on drier), and high-pressure drier return line, along with the proper functionality of the evaporator, expansion valve, and HVAC sensors.

Hi Austin,

I have a RHD 525e with original R12 A/C, which I am looking to convert to R134 and your kit is just what I am looking for.

I am aware that there may be some subtle differences between the RHD and LHD install and would wish to de-risk this before pulling the trigger on one of your kits.

Would you be able to e-mail me some photographs of a complete installation, in a LHD E28, highlighting the interfaces between your option 'B' kit and the original OEM installation that is retained as part of this upgrade.

I would like to be able to purchase with confidence.

I am happy to act as the verification "test piece" for a RHD fit which if viable could open up the market for your kits to the RHD market. A potential win / win for both of us.

If you are able please e-mail photographs with any relevant details to:

"mickjanetpeters@googlemail.com"

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Stay safe.

Best regards,

Mick
stevenix

Post by stevenix »

Looks fantastic - I will be very interested when I get around to updating the AC in my 86 535i.
ThirdPedalNirvana

Post by ThirdPedalNirvana »

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 319067401/

I can see that this is much more complete, esp. for someone that has a broken condenser, but if not what's wrong with the OE kit?
topher800

Post by topher800 »

ThirdPedalNirvana wrote:https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 319067401/

I can see that this is much more complete, esp. for someone that has a broken condenser, but if not what's wrong with the OE kit?
Short answer: It's all about the condenser.

The factory condenser is too small for R134a. Converting to R134a with just the receiver/drier will lead to a lower performing system than R12. Secondly, the Sanden [really any modern] compressor is more efficient than the original Bosch, robbing you of less HP.
Profile36

Post by Profile36 »

I had a couple questions regarding your kit.

1. What is the size of the condenser you are offering? Can you tell us who make it?
2. What is the system capacity increased to using your kit?

Would you be willing to offer the lines for sale separately?

- M
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: May 14, 2020 2:47 PM I have a similar upgrade on my E23 (though I do have a new aux fan also). It blows at low 40s (about 1500 rpm) with R134.

The LCW support bracket and the Sanden compressor coupled with an upgraded condenser are wonderful! Highly recommended if you want to use R134.
I was surprised to read in Road Test's July 1975 report on the 530i with factory a/c (on R12 of course), they tested temp at the vents with a thermometer and it was around 40F! :shock:
cek

Post by cek »

e12euro wrote: Oct 16, 2020 2:32 PM
Kenny Blankenship wrote: May 14, 2020 2:47 PM I have a similar upgrade on my E23 (though I do have a new aux fan also). It blows at low 40s (about 1500 rpm) with R134.

I was surprised to read in Road Test's July 1975 report on the 530i with factory a/c (on R12 of course), they tested temp at the vents with a thermometer and it was around 40F! :shock:
I took this in Maytag last week after putting in my rebuilt compressor and having my guy charge it with R12.

I cheated though, and I was actually holding the gun directly against the vent ;-). At distance it was 37F.

My recommendation is:

1. If you have a reliable source of R12 (someone who knows what they are doing and has the equipment) and
2. You are willing to pay to have it dealt with properly and
3. AND you have a working R12 system now and
4. You don't live in California or other state that treats responsible folks like they are idiots

Then keep R12. If any of the above are not true, go R134a with Austin's kit.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

cek wrote: Oct 16, 2020 2:47 PM

I took this in Maytag last week after putting in my rebuilt compressor and having my guy charge it with R12.

I cheated though, and I was actually holding the gun directly against the vent ;-). At distance it was 37F.

My recommendation is:

1. If you have a reliable source of R12 (someone who knows what they are doing and has the equipment) and
2. You are willing to pay to have it dealt with properly and
3. AND you have a working R12 system now and
4. You don't live in California or other state that treats responsible folks like they are idiots

Then keep R12. If any of the above are not true, go R134a with Austin's kit.
Definitely, you can get a good result with R134a, but if you have the chance to stay with R12 take it.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

I did not buy my kit from Austin because it wasn’t offered last year but I built my kit up with some of the exact same parts he has with his kit and built my own ac lines and it’s performing like a champ. This set up is the resolution to long e28 ac issues. It may seem like a hefty investment but well worth it long term.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Hello Austin, this suite of products looks amazing, and addresses a definitive need.

I have a question. You state that the replacement set...
austin_caccavo wrote: May 13, 2020 2:44 PM Fits the following North American BMW models: E28 535i, E28 535is, and E28 M5, and provides ample clearance around the M88 headers, factory oil cooler, and OEM brake ducting/undertray.
whereas the website at the link you provided states that the set fits the 528e and the 533i as well. Just wanted to know which one is it? I would assume it's the one on the website.

Also, please clarify if the Sanden compressor included in Option B is a brand-new unit.

Thanks!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

That was entirely possible with the thermometer inside the vent. Outside of the vent was 90º with 75º ambient.
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

wkohler wrote: Oct 21, 2020 2:41 AM

That was entirely possible with the thermometer inside the vent. Outside of the vent was 90º with 75º ambient.
No, the magazine said they put the thermometer close to, not inside the vents. Neither did they hold it against the vent as was mentioned above.

They also said that the following year (1976) things got better when BMW put a new style center vent with directional vents.

They noted that this stopped the a/c air hitting the hot windshield glass, and brought the air to the driver. And they said although the a/c wasn't as powerful as in your neighbor's Buick (think Kojak's Buick Century) neither would you fry in a traffic jam. Bear in mind this is a brand new car running R12, without years of crap accumulating on the condenser and evap core. I have seen the latter get almost blocked solid on an e24, needed major cleaning to get airflow through.

I have the later e12 pod that brings the a/c air closer still, and have trimmed the dash and pod. This makes it more like an e28, so the a/c air is away from the base of the dash where the sun is magnified by the glass. My car is no problem even at 100F. I used the FirstFives FAQ a/c repair on a budget. :cool:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

:roll: so much for humor. :(
code

Post by code »

Bought Austin's kit yesterday -- could have probably figured out how to make my own hoses and brackets to mount a PF condenser, but supporting good initiative and a quality product is important (and Austin fielded a bunch of pre-sale questions promptly and professionally). Looking forward to installing it. Clean parts!
Kink

Post by Kink »

Is this kit still available? the website link is down.