535i new leather seat covers

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
ctweber01

535i new leather seat covers

Post by ctweber01 »

Are there good sources for 535i replacement leather seat covers?

How difficult is it to replace these?

Thanks!
Blue Shadow

Re: 535i new leather seat covers

Post by Blue Shadow »

this is a job for an auto upholstery guy unless you know something about it I would suspect.

World Upholstery
GAHH Automotive

Offer material and kits

Maybe your local auto upholstery guy has the materials you want to have cover your seats
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

ctweber01 wrote: Oct 14, 2020 11:24 PM Are there good sources for 535i replacement leather seat covers?

Thanks!
Maybe try this, I believe this guy has been in business for a long time with very good if not perfect reviews, I’m going to get his kit when it’s time to do my seats, they also offer both leather and vinyl depending on your preference.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264744285938
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Seeker wrote: Oct 18, 2020 2:36 AM
ctweber01 wrote: Oct 14, 2020 11:24 PM Are there good sources for 535i replacement leather seat covers?

Thanks!
Maybe try this, I believe this guy has been in business for a long time with very good if not perfect reviews, I’m going to get his kit when it’s time to do my seats, they also offer both leather and vinyl depending on your preference.
These sets are pretty good. My friend has a really good upholsterer installing a set of Llama skins in his 635Csi. The photos look good but I won't see them in person for another week or so.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

vinceg101 wrote: Oct 18, 2020 1:06 PM

Thanks!
These sets are pretty good. My friend has a really good upholsterer installing a set of Llama skins in his 635Csi. The photos look good but I won't see them in person for another week or so.
I’d be very interested to hear your opinion on how they look in person, please keep us posted.
Silverstone2

Post by Silverstone2 »

These aren't covers, but if you wanted to re-leather your seats, you can try it yourself for $349...

https://www.lseat.com/products/1984-198 ... front.html

If you have standard seats, this should be pretty straight forward.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

I plan to place an order with gahh this morning. My local upholstery guy says they do good work, and instead of him measuring, trimming, and sewing raw materials, he recommends me buying their precut and having them install
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

Seeker wrote: Oct 18, 2020 3:22 PM

Thanks!
I’d be very interested to hear your opinion on how they look in person, please keep us posted.
I bought a set 3 years ago for my full 535is restoration project. Quality and fitment overall is very good. Did everything myself and were very happy with the result. Definitely recommend them.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I finally got to see these installed over the weekend.
This is for his 1985 EU 635Csi, Diamandschwartz over Llama:

(Sorry for the poorer images, it was the end of the day and the light was failing).

They came out remarkably well, and the color was a good match although not a 100% to the original (the rears are still the original and due to a quirk in my mind about Llama, they turn kind of pink as they age). The color of this leather best matches the vinyl of the dash and console (almost dead-on).
He had a professional upholsterer and leather craftsman install them and while he had some issues about these (he is a perfectionist and probably one of the best in the business) he ended up doing a fantastic job. His issues revolved around the foam backing these came with (too thick) and some of the piping and I think some overall fitment; in the end he worked his way through it all.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

vinceg101 wrote: Nov 05, 2020 11:23 AM I finally got to see these installed over the weekend.
This is for his 1985 EU 635Csi, Diamandschwartz over Llama:

(Sorry for the poorer images, it was the end of the day and the light was failing).

They came out remarkably well, and the color was a good match although not a 100% to the original (the rears are still the original and due to a quirk in my mind about Llama, they turn kind of pink as they age). The color of this leather best matches the vinyl of the dash and console (almost dead-on).
He had a professional upholsterer and leather craftsman install them and while he had some issues about these (he is a perfectionist and probably one of the best in the business) he ended up doing a fantastic job. His issues revolved around the foam backing these came with (too thick) and some of the piping and I think some overall fitment; in the end he worked his way through it all.
Yojedi wrote: Nov 05, 2020 9:57 AM
Seeker wrote: Oct 18, 2020 3:22 PM

Thanks!
I bought a set 3 years ago for my full 535is restoration project. Quality and fitment overall is very good. Did everything myself and were very happy with the result. Definitely recommend them.

Thank you both for posting, both sets of seats look like they are very high quality, I appreciate you both for taking the time to respond to this post, thank you.
DrLeooo

Post by DrLeooo »

Can someone share a place to buy high-quality leather?
DrLeooo

Post by DrLeooo »

And absolutely, sourcing replacement leather seat covers for your 535i is crucial! For quality options, check out Von Baer - they've got a range of top-notch leather products. As for the replacement process, it varies, but Von Baer has a blog post on leather grades that might guide you through the selection process: https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather-grades. Good luck with your seat cover upgrade!
Last edited by DrLeooo on Nov 14, 2023 4:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I bought covers from zoomzoomzoom-ing on ebay, and I am happy with the quality of the leather, the color, and the communication with the owner Steven.

Fair price, good quality.