Jesus nut is free, but the hub is stuck!

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
code

Jesus nut is free, but the hub is stuck!

Post by code »

I can't for the life of me get this hub off. Is a puller required? I let some PB blaster soak overnight, still won't budge.

SlickDizzy

Re: Jesus nut is free, but the hub is stuck!

Post by SlickDizzy »

Definitely need a puller, you can crack the timing cover if you try to pry against it too hard. A bit of heat helps for removal too.

For reinstallation, I like to put the hub in the oven at ~400 for a good half hour, then place it on the crank end with your oven mitt and make sure it's lined up; when you're confident, a single smack of a dead blow hammer on a PVC pipe normally seats it first try.
code

Post by code »

Thanks SD. Do you know if there's a special puller? Would a wheel hub puller work?
code

Post by code »

Found this image in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126347).

Looks like the hunt is on for a hub puller.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

I just used a plain old two-jaw puller I had in the toolbox, likely purchased from Harbor Freight for some other job years ago.
Philo

Post by Philo »

You can also heat it up a bit when applying pressure with the puller. It will come off, be patient.
demetk

Post by demetk »

SlickDizzy wrote: Oct 14, 2020 3:34 PM I just used a plain old two-jaw puller I had in the toolbox, likely purchased from Harbor Freight for some other job years ago.
On this engine I used a regular puller,

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Man, every one I've taken off, and it's a bunch, I've just run bolts in and pushed it off by pushing on the lower timing cover. Doesn't take a lot of torque, I'm not even sure if it's more than by hand with your hand on an extension but without a ratchet. Multiple places like at least 4 and tighten gradually, though it helps to have a feel. But not much to get it off in my experience.
code

Post by code »

Interesting Mike, sounds like it should work. Any damage to the cover when you did it that way?
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

If it is not coming off using the puller putting bolts through the flange and pushing on the front timing cover is a really bad idea. You WILL crack the cover.
code

Post by code »

Autozone has a puller available to borrow, going to pick it up later today.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

code wrote: Oct 15, 2020 4:11 AM Interesting Mike, sounds like it should work. Any damage to the cover when you did it that way?
A tiny bit of marring on the housing around the seal. If it was in the paint on the hood I'd call it damage, on a concealed engine part, no, no damage.
Preyupy wrote: Oct 15, 2020 11:20 AM If it is not coming off using the puller putting bolts through the flange and pushing on the front timing cover is a really bad idea. You WILL crack the cover.
Quite true, but the dozen or more I've taken off have all come off easily.
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

Mike W. wrote: Oct 15, 2020 2:13 PM
code wrote: Oct 15, 2020 4:11 AM Interesting Mike, sounds like it should work. Any damage to the cover when you did it that way?
A tiny bit of marring on the housing around the seal. If it was in the paint on the hood I'd call it damage, on a concealed engine part, no, no damage.
Preyupy wrote: Oct 15, 2020 11:20 AM If it is not coming off using the puller putting bolts through the flange and pushing on the front timing cover is a really bad idea. You WILL crack the cover.
Quite true, but the dozen or more I've taken off have all come off easily.
I agree, I have never had a problem getting the hub off the crank. But I was looking at the picture of the puller set up and was thinking if that won't pull it off pushing on the front cover is not going to go well.
code

Post by code »

Alright, progress! The puller I borrowed wouldn’t fit between the condenser and the hub, so I removed the condenser and the A/C compressor (I’m going to go with Austin’s kit after some contemplation, so out they go). The hub is off, and I confirmed that all 13 bolts have been removed and the lower cover is clear to be removed ... but it won’t budge. I don’t want to force it — it seems stuck on the lower dowels and maybe the oil pan gasket. Maybe some heat will help?
code

Post by code »

Didn't end up using heat, just gently popped it free with a pry bar between the block and the little tabs on the timing cover. Piece of cake, and the oil pan gasket is intact. Score!
N_///M_Z

Post by N_///M_Z »

Near used a puller for the removal. If you do not have a puller then you just need to gently pry it off by leveraging against a piece of wood.