Car built in Lydia, China

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Bonsaibacker

Car built in Lydia, China

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Just ran the VIN on a car I recently picked up. This particular site shows that the car was built in Lydia, China. Has anyone else seen this? I know they were assembled in South Africa (and Germany of course) but this is new...

Kenny Blankenship

Re: Car built in Lydia, China

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

I'd be very surprised if there was a place in China called Lydia...

Mainland China was less than 7 years removed from Mao's death at that point so I'm quite sure BMW had nothing to do with China.
Last edited by Kenny Blankenship on Oct 09, 2020 4:20 PM, edited 2 times in total.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

"The first Chinese-made BMW, a BMW 325, was sold in October 2003." Plus, their assembly plant is in Shenyang and I wasn't able to find a place in China named Lydia. So, there's something wrong with the website you used.
cek

Post by cek »

stuartinmn wrote: Oct 09, 2020 4:16 PM "The first Chinese-made BMW, a BMW 325, was sold in October 2003." Plus, their assembly plant is in Shenyang and I wasn't able to find a place in China named Lydia. So, there's something wrong with the website you used.
Bullshit. If it's on the internet, it's true.

I bet BMWs have always been made in China and Putin is covering it up.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

cek wrote: Oct 09, 2020 6:32 PM
stuartinmn wrote: Oct 09, 2020 4:16 PM "The first Chinese-made BMW, a BMW 325, was sold in October 2003." Plus, their assembly plant is in Shenyang and I wasn't able to find a place in China named Lydia. So, there's something wrong with the website you used.
Bullshit. If it's on the internet, it's true.

I bet BMWs have always been made in China and Putin is covering it up.
I think both of you have a point- Stuart is probably correct but if y'all didn't know then Charlie outed me- I subscribe to conspiracy theories like they are build threads in "eye candy"!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

As you are already likely thinking, I'm guessing a digit in the VIN means something else now than it did then.

For instance. I had a Bav long ago, VIN 2130029. Yes, that's all. It wasn't until '81 model year that the feds forced them to a 17 digit VIN. But if you can find a 7 digit decoder, it thinks it's an E30. :roll:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

All non-M5 E28s were built in Dingolfing.

Best,
wkohler
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Every one of the sites that google offers for "BMW VIN check" looks like a shady pawn shop entrance. I type the VIN in while keeping an eye in the mirror to make sure no-one is coming up behind me and I hit previous page if it takes too long (as if that does something to protect my hard drive). Anyway the site I pulled this assessment from is bimmer.work. I cannot recommend any of them but they provide some useful information when scouting.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Well, at least it looks like they got the power rating correct.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

jhh925 wrote: Oct 13, 2020 7:03 PM Well, at least it looks like they got the power rating correct.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: