OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by wkohler »

Discslinger wrote: Jun 29, 2020 2:03 PM jay Stratton doesn't seem interested in answering emails... I'd look elsewhere
Neat.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

3 windshields remaining. I'm a little surprised they've lasted this long.
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.

Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
gino

Post by gino »

As of today Oct 9, there are only 2 left according to BMW of San Antonio. I just ordered mine so that makes 1 left. I had my car painted this week and the body shop destroyed mine. I just found this thread yesterday and I was crying and praying they had some left! Hopefully it gets here in one piece. This forum has been awesome throughout my 2 year refurb of my car.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Just picked up one of the last 2 in Jacksonville FL. Seems they have marked up the price. Now it is $347.
gino

Post by gino »

Yep, they said they were in Jacksonville. I hope my order goes through ok, I did pay already. And yes, price did go up.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Well, the system is now showing none left. But, there's an interesting note saying 60 are set to be delivered to BMW Germany by "the manufacturer" with an ETA of Nov. 3. So possibly more in the pipeline?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Go figure. Oh well.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

If they don't make it and it's selling, it a relatively easy call, no tooling or anything, doesn't slow anything else down, just place an order. But that doesn't guarantee they'll even be made by the same manufacturer to the exact specifications. Think heater valves. The price may change also.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

wkohler wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:30 PM Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
Why wouldn't you have all four windshields packed together in ONE gigantic box? ;)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

garageboy wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:38 PM
wkohler wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:30 PM Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
Why wouldn't you have all four windshields packed together in ONE gigantic box? ;)
And someplace besides your living room? Well, that's Chris. :up:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Who uses the living room? I'd have put them in the back bedroom with the other parts but the boxes wouldn't make it around the corner. I've decided to leave them alone for now since they're not hurting anything, but long term, they might get in the way. It only took five years to get some windshields so I am happy to have them. I'm sure the Arizona Highway Patrol is excited I got some too.
cek

Post by cek »

For those trying to store their Windshield hoards: I I have been storing auto glass and some windshields on the floor, leaning against the wall. This is not the way to do it. I already had one brand new OE BMW E28 windshield break because of this.

To address this, I bought a glass holder on Amazon and fabricated a bracket:

OAG Windshield Protection Auto Glass Truck Cargo Management Rack (5 Lite Slots Rack)

Now I they are safe and secure and I have more room for my wheel fort.

Nosis

Post by Nosis »

That rack is super cool, as would be expected from a purpose-designed rack.

I picked up with a nice-used bronze windshield the same day my new windshield arrived. With two windshields around, I quickly realized how sketchy it is to store glass, so I spent $15 at Home Depot and made this from .5” pvc... For those whom may consider doing the same, a design flaw in mine is that it needed to be set-off the wall a few inches to allow for the curvature of the glass when sliding them in.

BTW, each rack is attached to a stud with 2 screws...

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Nosis wrote: Oct 15, 2020 11:39 AM That rack is super cool, as would be expected from a purpose-designed rack.

I picked up with a nice-used bronze windshield the same day my new windshield arrived. With two windshields around, I quickly realized how sketchy it is to store glass, so I spent $15 at Home Depot and made this from .5” pvc... For those whom may consider doing the same, a design flaw in mine is that it needed to be set-off the wall a few inches to allow for the curvature of the glass when sliding them in.

BTW, each rack is attached to a stud with 2 screws...
Nice looking setup. I've got a windshield and rear windshield (both for sale, cheap, used, local pickup only) hanging from the rafters in my shed. So far they've weathered 10 years there unbroken, but without a car they fit I need to reclaim the space.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

To anyone following the status of these windshields:

I just called my local BMW dealer (Nashville, TN) and gave them the part number to the windshield. They said no availability now but Germany shows to have them November 3rd. We went ahead and put the order in so that BMW Germany would get it and I would be on the list. Because I work for a collision repair shop my cost was $255.82 and list was $370.95. I also asked if there was any special request for the windshield that she needed or would have to do and there were none yet.

Hope this helps someone!
cek

Post by cek »

This is good news as i just got a nice crack in Vlad's driving slc to sea. I have a spare, but I also have $0 deductable glass. Heh.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

So, I placed my order for (2) windshields with BMW of Manhattan back in March, after the usual explanation of old car, euro part, special order, etc. One week later New York City went into lockdown, and the BMW dealership went down with it too.

Emailed them in April and I got confirmation that the order went through, but they didn't know if the windshields arrived because there was a huge logistics mess with the pandemic and the lockdown. Please note that this was early April - NYC was seeing hundreds of people die of COVID daily; no other part of the US was this bad at the time.

Emailed / called again a few more times, left voice messages, radio silence.

One day late September I played hooky and decided to drive the ol' Supereta to the dealership, only to find a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper taped to a sign at the entrance to the Maintenance section. The 8 1/2 x 11 read - FOR CURBSIDE PICKUP CALL DESK AT XXX-XXX-XXXX OR CELLPHONE XXX-XXX-XXXX.

So I wrote down those numbers and called later that day. Guy that picked up did not know order status (oh no) but he could see my order (good!). He said he'd get back to me after talking to his colleague who had processed the order, but he was on vacation (of course).

He then said "well, in case the windshields weren't delivered, what would you like to do, would you like a refund or would you order them again? Please be aware that as of today, there are (3) remaining windshields in the US of A, and they are in Jacksonville FL."

I told him "talk to your colleague and let's touch base on Tuesday. If the windshields weren't delivered, I'm definitely ordering them again, if the 3 from Jacksonville are still available"

On Tuesday, they told me "well guess what - Your windshields have been in our warehouse since April"

Picked them up yesterday in a Mercedes station wagon (<-- wait, is that sacrilege?), gave one of them today to my friend who has a cracked windshield in her E28 (she placed it on a blanket on the floor, leaning against a wall - is that bad?). I am now in the process of deciding where to store my own windshield. It barely fits in the E28's rear seat. My garage doesn't offer too much security or tolerance for loose stuff. It's starting to look like it'll have to live underneath my bed, in keeping with classic NYC apartment conditions...
travisj

Post by travisj »

Glad to hear that all worked out.

You were actually able to fit one in the back seat? I've always heard that it was impossible to fit an E28 windshield inside an E28! Is it secure enough to transport in the back seat?

Storage can be a hassle. Under the bed or behind a couch seems viable.
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
travisj

Post by travisj »

sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 11:39 AM
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
The locking strip is the 'trim' you speak of. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
travisj

Post by travisj »

sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 11:39 AM

The locking strip is the 'trim' of which you speak. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

travisj wrote: Oct 25, 2020 9:44 AMYou were actually able to fit one in the back seat? I've always heard that it was impossible to fit an E28 windshield inside an E28! Is it secure enough to transport in the back seat?
When I bought a new windshield ten years ago, I brought it home in my e30. :) I had to take it out of the box of course, along with reclining the front passenger seat. It was still a tight fit, but you could do the same in an e28. I don't think you'd want to get in an accident though, with that big piece of glass pointed at the back of your neck.