Euro bumper assembly issue

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Zeuropa

Euro bumper assembly issue

Post by Zeuropa »

I'm working feverishly to finish up my Euro conversion and I'm at the stage of assembling the front bumper. All parts are new OEM. I'm trying to get the first rubber bumper trim clips to snap into place and it seems flat out impossible.

RealOem diagram for reference: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_0588
Parts involved: #2 bumper corner piece, #10 Clamp/clip, #13 rubber trim strip

With my full 200lbs body weight pushing straight down on the back side of the bumper and around the clip, it doesn't even seem close to locking into place. Next, I tried using a C-clamp with a socket over the clip (on the inside of the bumper) and a piece of 2x4 on the rubber side, to distribute the clamping force and not damage the rubber trim. This resulted in the lower wing of the trim clip snapping in but not the top. (Great! I've got half of one done!) This method also slightly dimpled the bumper metal - not cool but that won't be visible when its all assembled. Also, this clamping method is not great since the clamping force isn't applied to two parallel surfaces since the rubber trim has an angle to it. I think it would be better to pull the clip through the eyelet instead of trying to crush everything together, but it seems like I've got to invent a tool for that.

So, what's the secret sauce to getting the rubber trim on Euro bumper? Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Das_Prachtstrasse

Re: Euro bumper assembly issue

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

It’s easiest to lever them in from the backside. A large hose removal tool with a 45 bend works well. If you don’t have one, a large flat blade screwdriver with a bolt as a fulcrum does the job too.
Burnze

Post by Burnze »

They don’t really snap in if you push them, I find that it’s easier to pull them from the back. The way I do it is I push them in enough to poke out from behind, then I use some vise grip pliers to pull the clip.

Note: I do all this before mounting the bumper.
Zeuropa

Re: bumper assembly issue - trim clips

Post by Zeuropa »

Thank you both for the replies. I was able to get the clips in place using a lever to pull the clip through. The bumper is now assembled and I've done a test fit. Next hurdle is getting everything straight and aligned. For the record, the American bumpers use a very similar clip, so I probably shouldn't have included "euro" in the subject.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies and happy motoring.
lizard

Post by lizard »

OP, did you replace the rear valance with a euro valance?
Zeuropa

Post by Zeuropa »

lizard wrote: Oct 08, 2020 4:28 PM OP, did you replace the rear valance with a euro valance?
Nope, I'm just working on the front end. The rear will have to wait until Spring.