Valvetrain wear

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
mike_e30

Valvetrain wear

Post by mike_e30 »

With our diesels, at what point does valvetrain wear become an issue? My cam and lifter lobes have fine scratches throughout. The engine runs strong although Im sure its missing some HP.

download avatar instagram online
gadget73

Re: Valvetrain wear

Post by gadget73 »

can you feel a ridge with your fingernail? If not the wear is essentially nothing. If you can feel a rough surface the bigger issue is that the rough surfaces will accelerate the wear on the mating part. That one cam lobe looks a bit concerning but pics sometimes make things look worse than they are. Looks like there is a ridge of displaced metal at the edge of the contact area though. I'd really be looking at what oil is used in that, seems like it may not be doing it's job unless its prior owner abuse/neglect.

either way I wouldn't think there is enough damage to cause performance problems at this point but if you can get your hands on a cam and a set of rockers for a reasonable price for future needs it wouldn't be a terrible idea.
kingoftarmace2004

Post by kingoftarmace2004 »

I agree with finding spares just cuz things are getting harder to find. also you really wont know without finding the spec of the cam lobes and measuring with micrometer and seeing if the reading falls into acceptable ranges or not? -Paul
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

info from another post
kingoftarmace2004 wrote: Sep 21, 2020 10:40 AM the cam "sprayer" tube. has holes every cam lobe. it kinda just puts a stream over the lobe as it spins to give it some lubrication. I know you did not ask me, but hey. -Paul

might want to check that tube to make sure the nozzle over the worn lobe isn't partially clogged.
kingoftarmace2004

Post by kingoftarmace2004 »

if your gutsy enough you can run it with the valve cover off to confirm all lobes are getting sprayed....