WTB: Top-shelf E28 - FOUND IT!!!

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
gray635

WTB: Top-shelf E28 - FOUND IT!!!

Post by gray635 »

Guys:

It's been awhile since I've had an e28 and I'm starting to get that old 5-series itch again. Last e28 car I owned was the white/cardinal M535i Chris Kohler helped me buy in Phoenix and then sorted before it was shipped to me. I sold it to David Smith (dsmith here on the board) several years ago.

Anyway, I've been looking around and haven't been able to locate the right car yet. I'm looking for a euro car, euro-converted car or another M535i. Willing and able to pay the right price for the right car. Easy transaction for the seller assured. Not really looking for an M5 (had 2 of those already), but would consider a nice one that was not priced in the EAG stratosphere.

If anyone here is thinking about possibly selling such a car, or knows of one for sale, please reach out to me.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by gray635 on May 06, 2021 9:53 AM, edited 3 times in total.
cek

Re: WTB: Top-shelf E28

Post by cek »

Good for you!
DJM1986-5

Post by DJM1986-5 »

Mike,
I'm tearing into my 535 to prep for paint and interior. Finally after too many years - Alpine over cardinal with a B35 etc etc.

....I know of an E28 that was hit in the rear that's been sitting in a garage for about 3 yrs. It's a beautiful car - Diamond Schwartz over Black. Have any interest in commissioning a resurrection? I can ask the owner.
David
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Hey David! I've enjoyed fooling with my euro 635 project - which needed some paint work but no body work of significance. I was hoping to avoid that in my search for a nice e28, but these things have become mighty scarce. So I might be up for another light project.

Consequently, I have some modest interest in your friend's car. US or euro bumpers? If euro, I'd be closer to a yes. But no to any big crumples.

And good luck with your restoration of the white car!

Thanks,
Mike
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Roy W.'s old turbo car is for sale on Bring a Trailer right now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-bmw-535i-13/
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Stuart:

Thanks for the response. Roy brought that to my attention earlier in the week - hadn't seen it on BAT until Roy's PM.

I saw that car several years ago, at the last Vintage held in Winston-Salem, and it is a beauty. However, I just don't want a turbo in my life. :laugh: Looking for something pretty stock.
DJM1986-5

Post by DJM1986-5 »

Mike,
I also talked with the owner this weekend and he wants to keep it. He bought a 533i to replace it while making a decision on the car...but decided to keep. Ill keep looking.
DJM
gray635

Post by gray635 »

David:

Thanks for the update. Let me know if something interesting shows up on your radar.

Mike
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Still on the hunt. A lead or two, and one pretty good prospect, but waiting on info and photos from the owner and no deal yet. Let me know if you have a nice car that you would consider parting with, or know of something that would fit the bill. Many thanks!
pavulon

Post by pavulon »

Can empathize with your search for a no excuses euro E28. Had expanded my search to overseas before the virus interruption of everything. As you're aware, genuinely terrific euros are tough to find in the US. :|
gray635

Post by gray635 »

^^^^ So true. It is still pretty easy to find nice e24 cars - but I already have two of those! :D

My theory is that the coupes were the special, babied, Sunday afternoon drive garage queens and the sedans got the hell driven out of them regularly, and thrashed to bits. :cry: Which you can certainly understand, since they are so much fun to drive.
s_alvy

Post by s_alvy »

Mike, I have a e28 M5 (Natur) with 53K on the clock that I have been thinking about letting go. Its not converted, yet I have the parts. Does not seem like path you are seeking, yet I have been on the fringe to sell, so thought I would throw out there...

Steve
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Steve: Thanks for the response. Just shot you a PM.

Regards,
Mike
Ducatimark

Post by Ducatimark »

Hi Mike -

I have a US spec 1987 535is in red/beige interior. 5 speed transmission and basically stock with about 135k miles. Spent its life in Texas, Fl and VA.

I've been working on it for three years and have completed the following:

- rebuilt all doors/windows and installed new window guides and sill wipe.
- new Dorman rebuildable drive shaft and guibo.
- rear transmission mounts, rear seal and reldine fluid.
- clutch master and slave cylinders.
- pedal bushings.
- differential mount
- RR half shaft
- rebuild all fuel injectors
- complete FE replacement steering linkage with Lemforder and alignment. Replaced rear dog bones and have chassis bushings not yet installed.
- New OEM BMW turn signal stalk with OBC
- have OBC light bar but not installed yet
- new exhaust system from headers back including catalytic converters.
- AGM battery
- Bosch Starter from FCP
- sand, prime and paint car with premium Sherwin Williams OEM paint and clear coat. Removed rear window and repair rust at bottom corners.
- re-cover driver's seat with close matching Ultraleather. Other interior in usable condition.
- carpet and headliner okay but nothing to get excited about.
- R-134 AC blows cold.
- replaced gears in Odometer.
- Lowered springs with Bilstein F&R.
- stock non-metric OEM wheels.
- Rain-X wipers.
- new thermostat for good measure.

To do list:
- paint or powder coat rims and new tires.
- Pull out seats and clean carpets.
- Engine tune-up and valve adjustment.

Good luck in your search!

Mark G
Richmond, VA
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Mark:

Sound like a nice, solid car, but unless she's got euro bumpers, it's not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the response.

And welcome to the board, BTW!

Regards,
Mike
Ducatimark

Post by Ducatimark »

Thank you! I'm not anxious to sell, but if the right person came along that would continue the work I'd consider it. But every time I get in it for a drive, I realize cars like this will never come along again. It's the last of the analog experiences on 4 wheels.

Yeah, I wish I had euro bumpers but guess I'll have to settle 😀.

Again, good luck with the search!

Mark
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Mark:

Thanks! Your car is a great color combo and I suspect you'll get some inquiries from others on the board if you are serious about selling. You are certainly right about the analog beauty of these 1980's BMWs.
Seihackguei

Post by Seihackguei »

Messaged you.

Post by 101200 »

I will soon have for sale my 1985 M5--the real thing-- ~140,000 mi---- NO dashboard cracks--NO ugly USA bumpers--NO low-compression S38 engine--NO rust, ever--salmon silver--black leather--body excellent--interior very good--runs great--original TRX + 16" aftermarket wheels/tires---top end rebuilt with new timing chain @~85,000--new clutch--this is a genuine 1st year production Euro M5----not cheap, but not outrageously priced either--let me know if you are interested---Mike--330-524-5046---Ohio
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

101200 wrote: Sep 08, 2020 12:44 PM I will soon have for sale my 1985 M5--the real thing-- ~140,000 mi---- NO dashboard cracks--NO ugly USA bumpers--NO low-compression S38 engine--NO rust, ever--salmon silver--black leather--body excellent--interior very good--runs great--original TRX + 16" aftermarket wheels/tires---top end rebuilt with new timing chain @~85,000--new clutch--this is a genuine 1st year production Euro M5----not cheap, but not outrageously priced either--let me know if you are interested---Mike--330-524-5046---Ohio
I've been waiting for photos of this one for over six years.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Mike: Just sent you a PM. Sounds like a special, intriguing car. But I am confident that it is well outside my price range. Would love to see some photos, though! :D Apparently, so would Chris.
royalblau87

Post by royalblau87 »

Hi Mike,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks
gray635

Post by gray635 »

^^^ PMed you back!
gray635

Re: WTB: Top-shelf E28/FOUND, SORTA

Post by gray635 »

Well, after looking around for the right car, and even getting several good leads from board members, I haven't been able to find the "top shelf" e28 that I was looking for.

I have been interested in Alfa Romeos for years, after driving a friend's new Spider Veloce and even going up to the Paul Spruell Alfa dealership in Atlanta - some of the "older" folks on the board from Atlanta (Shawn D, I'm looking at you!) will probably remember that place. I joined the Alfabb board a couple of years ago and poke around there occasionally. Got the weekly email blast from the Alfa board last week and thought - what the heck, since I'm kicking tires, I might as well see what sort of old Italian stuff is for sale there. So I checked out the Alfas for sale thread and found what looked like a very nice 1989 Milano Gold for sale in California. Contacted the owner and wound up making a deal to purchase it.

Thus, I have "left the reservation" and gone Italian! :roll: This could be interesting. Possibly frustrating. I've already been told that I shouldn't buy an old Alfa if oil leaks bother me, so this will surely test my OCD nature, especially after having gotten used to German engineering. And who in the heck am I going to find in middle GA to work on this thing???? :shock:

For those of you who might be interested in my foolishness, here is the F/S thread on this car from the Alfabb. Wish me luck. I'll probably need it. Trying to work out transport from San Luis Obispo now:

https://www.alfabb.com/threads/1989-mil ... es.699521/
Last edited by gray635 on Sep 27, 2020 8:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Re: WTB: Top-shelf E28/FOUND, SORTA

Post by cek »

I think that's fantastic. Keep us posted!