What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
kojo96

Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

Post by kojo96 »

I do think he'll be in a selling mood pretty soon on some of the cars, he's building 2 the e9 cars to sell.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Went by a local grocery store a few days ago. Upmarket, but a full grocery store not a boutique or anything. Came out and there was a very dusty passenger truck parked next to me. I mean many miles of dirt road dusty. I did notice it looked like an expensive one, so I figured it was a Porsche truck, but no, it was a Bentley! Shouldn't be a surprise I suppose, but I didn't even know they had one.

So lets see, expensive, but lives on a dirt road. I figure either a pot farmer or grape grower. :laugh:
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

RonW

Post by RonW »

Saw a baby blue Jaguar XK120 or XK140 at the local supermarket. Couldn't tell which - not a Jaguar aficionado.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I live in a community with a large percentage of retirees, and several have vehicles they take out just for Holiday and Sunday drives. The e28 garage queen and I are part of the bunch.

I have seen the same bright red car passing by numerous weekends and thought it was an old Pontiac Fiero. The road is around 500 feet away so I never get a really good look. Today I was talking to a neighbor who knows the owner when it passed by.

Turns out it is not a Pontiac Fiero. It is a Ferrari 348.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Karl Grau wrote: Jul 01, 2020 8:42 PM Image
That looks like a Volvo PV445 Duett Estate Wagon.

It looks very close to a PV544 Wagon, but the 544 didn’t have a divided windshield. Hard to tell from the picture, though.

I’ve been off and on looking for a 544 2 door saloon for years.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

I couldn't get a pic, since I was driving. Saw three (3!) Bugatti EB110s driving west on Route 7 in Loudoun County, VA today on my way to the office. In a convoy. Well, they could have been 112s, I guess-I don't know the difference.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

A Nissan Safari! One of the best cars to come into the shop in a while. Diesel, RHD, think it was an 87? Just some sweet JDM goodness. He wanted some new tires mounted on some new wheels he just bought. His License plate read "GUAM" from a different state (because God knows it'll cost an arm and a leg to get it registered here).

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^On that note:
This was parked outside my neighbor's hangar yesterday: 1970-something Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser, Diesel

Also, just this morning on my way to the printer:
A nicely restored 1940's-early '50's Willey's Jeepster

(Pardon the yellow-golden caste to everything, that's not a filter for effect but the thick blanket of smoke from all the various wildfires on the west coast at the moment)
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Nissan Pulsar NX.
"We don't have an answer for the MR2 but we have THIS... just drink a lot, squint and sign on the dotted line."
I have intentionally posted a small image so as not to shock the senses.
That blue Land Cruiser is to die for.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Wife and I were out for our evening stroll and happened to see this just parked on the street:
1967-69 Lancia Series 1 Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Image[/url]

You know, just your average grocery-getter :shock:
cek

Post by cek »

I love that car and I love the name Fulvia.
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

vinceg101 wrote: Sep 14, 2020 3:43 PM ^^^On that note:
This was parked outside my neighbor's hangar yesterday: 1970-something Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser, Diesel

Also, just this morning on my way to the printer:
A nicely restored 1940's-early '50's Willey's Jeepster

(Pardon the yellow-golden caste to everything, that's not a filter for effect but the thick blanket of smoke from all the various wildfires on the west coast at the moment)
I walked by that exact jeepster a few weeks ago while in la. I figured it must have been a kit car from far away but now i know. There are a few shops in that area that all had a few interesting cars parked around. a Ferrari shop and hotrod shop i remember?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

mitch5 wrote: Sep 21, 2020 7:57 PM I walked by that exact jeepster a few weeks ago while in la. I figured it must have been a kit car from far away but now i know. There are a few shops in that area that all had a few interesting cars parked around. a Ferrari shop and hotrod shop i remember?
Yes, there a bunch of specialty shops in there as well as some dealer repair facilities. My current E39 mechanic is there as well.
That neighborhood (between Sepulveda Blvd.to the east and the 405 Freeway to the west, Pico Blvd. to the south and Santa Monica Blvd. to the north) represents some of the last of the light industrial/manufacturing real estate left in West LA. As such, it's the last area for auto repair, small warehousing, light manufacturing, and other like commercial activities. One of my Structural Engineers, a waterproofing contractor, two commercial printers, and my current E39 mechanic are all within about 2 blocks of each other in this zone. A lot of old buildings all going back to the 1930's; there used to be a Southern Pacific rail spur line running parallel to Sepulveda Blvd that fed all those businesses (the original buildings are all still there with the floors about 6 feet above grade). The tracks are still there just under the asphalt. If you look at an aerial map you can make out where the rail lines used to run all the way from downtown and looping back to the east through Beverly Hills to West Hollywood.
It's also prime real estate and quite expensive these days and at risk of getting swallowed up by re-development.
VZehn

Post by VZehn »

Volvo P1800

I looked it over and it all seems completely original and in very good condition.

kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Not terribly out of the ordinary but it was very clean, worthy of a post here. A/C on and through the windshield.

Now this car is pretty special, full Euro SEC with original AMG options including the motor. Say it at a PNP today, ran into the owner picking a W126 in the yard.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

No photos because I was not that close and it was moving quickly, but today I saw one of the most elusive creatures: I saw a...

1. Zinnoberrot BMW E28
2. In what appeared to be much better than average shape
3. In New York City! - in the Bronx! At the corner of Kippock St and Johnson St, in the Spuyten Duyvil area.

Almost certain this car had "shooting star" wheels (ugh) and it had shadowline tailights

If the owner is here in the forum, lemme tell you: Your car cut an impressive figure, take that from someone who isn't a Zinno fan. Would love to see it again!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Today I saw someone going through the drive through lane at McDonalds on a Segway.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I saw a Chevy Silverado with Quadrasteer being used for clearing snow. And the rear-steering was still working!

https://youtu.be/4nVAdSC_zL4
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Saw this today as I was leaving a local yard. Wheelie bars caught my eye first, and as I approached it the tail lights gave a clue as to what it was but my brain was still trying to figure it out.
A 60's Chevy Nova II that was converted to a two seater with what looks like a Mercedes SL (early) hard top. Rough around the edges but an aggressive undertaking for sure. Interior das was all original except for the gauges.
Overall pretty cool.

stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I think that Chevy II's roof is stock, just trimmed back to match the shortened body.
It was kind of a thing for a while in the 1980s for people to cut down 1955-1957 Chevy four doors like that, they're all universally ugly in my opinion.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

stuartinmn wrote: Nov 28, 2020 6:01 PM I think that Chevy II's roof is stock, just trimmed back to match the shortened body.
It was kind of a thing for a while in the 1980s for people to cut down 1955-1957 Chevy four doors like that, they're all universally ugly in my opinion.
Agreee on the roof now that you mention it. I've never seen one cut down like that.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Looks like an oldie by the taillights.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^I covet those T1/T2 Transporters. There is one in my neighborhood up on blocks half dismantled; obviously a stalled or failed restoration.
Although I would much prefer a T3 Synchro version.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Karl Grau wrote: Dec 19, 2020 8:31 PM Looks like an oldie by the taillights.

oh wow, beautiful!