What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
vinceg101

Re: What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Aug 07, 2020 12:24 AM
vinceg101 wrote: Aug 04, 2020 7:00 PM
Mike W. wrote: Aug 04, 2020 4:21 PM
sail_or_drive wrote: Aug 03, 2020 11:21 PM I employed a painting crew that, instead of scraping forever, did a first pass then filled the gaps with Bondo followed by quick pass with a belt sander. This was on old 1" exterior cedar siding so there was no concern over making a mess outside.
I've seen painters use Bondo on things like metal doorframes but not wood. I'm no painter but I've used it under flooring to get a flat surface before on some really odd stuff.
I thought that was weird too the first time I saw a crew at work final painting a house; a bunch of guys in white outfits with a paint brush in one hand and alternating with a pallet of Bondo and putty knife in the other. The whole room looking like it had measles covered in little grey spots. But I didn't think it was crazy after I saw the results.
I wonder if it was bondo or spot putty? Bondo, AKA body filler, is a PITA and cures so friggin' tough, it's almost impossible to sand it down. But spot putty while it won't fill as deep a gap, sands easier and is more workable in a way. Plus it's one part and it dries, unlike bondo which you have to mix it with a catalyst and have limited working time.
Nah, it was Bondo. One of the reasons they use that is how quickly it cures and hardens; they can use it between paint coats without worrying about it.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

davintosh wrote: Aug 06, 2020 11:22 PM Jeez, Vince; I open this page and the first photo I see is the window you're stripping, and I almost had a panic attack! I just finished stripping & repainting four casement windows like that! One of them has been reglazed, and am not exactly looking forward to the next three. But it's gotta be done...
If I only had three windows to do I would be dancing a jig. There are SO many more windows to do on this house and it takes SO long to go through them between waiting for glazing to set (that takes about a week), waiting for each coat of paint to fully dry (there are usually four: 2 Kilz primer and 2 finish), then fabricating and installing the weatherstripping. I'm getting faster and the remaining windows are smaller, but it takes on average about 2-3 calendar weeks per window.
davintosh wrote: Aug 06, 2020 11:22 PM But the most recent, and most exciting thing we did with that house though is sell it! ...It's a walkout basement that opens to a sunken patio with a retaining wall around it, so it'll involve tearing out a section of the wall, moving & packing some dirt at an appropriate slope, putting in some gravel and pavers... Piece of cake, right? ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!
Maybe I'm not following you, but don't you just have to resolve that exterior staircase to get access to the lower door?
How is the drainage in that sunken patio?
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

vinceg101 wrote: Aug 07, 2020 11:50 AM If I only had three windows to do I would be dancing a jig. There are SO many more windows to do on this house and it takes SO long to go through them between waiting for glazing to set (that takes about a week), waiting for each coat of paint to fully dry (there are usually four: 2 Kilz primer and 2 finish), then fabricating and installing the weatherstripping. I'm getting faster and the remaining windows are smaller, but it takes on average about 2-3 calendar weeks per window.
You ought to be at expert level by the time you're done then. ;)
Glad to hear it takes you that long too; I kept thinking there had to be some trick to making it faster, but... It's just plain tedious!
vinceg101 wrote: Aug 07, 2020 11:50 AM CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks!
vinceg101 wrote: Aug 07, 2020 11:50 AM Maybe I'm not following you, but don't you just have to resolve that exterior staircase to get access to the lower door?
The angle of the photo makes it look like it juts into the path toward the door, and it does just about a foot & a half, but it should be easy to negotiate around it when driving in/backing out. There's about 10' or so between the foot of the stairs and the threshold of the door.
vinceg101 wrote: Aug 07, 2020 11:50 AM How is the drainage in that sunken patio?
Pretty good. I was a little concerned about drainage in the patio as well, and found out that the only time it's had water issues was in 2004 when the creek/drainage ditch that runs along the south side of the property was overwhelmed and flooded the patio and basement with about a foot of water. After that event, the original owner had an earthen berm built up and the retaining wall around the patio raised about a meter. When the house & patio were first built in 1995, an 18" precast concrete drain was put in with a grate at the far side of the patio. The drain empties into the creek, and I'm told there's a check valve of some kind that prevents back flow. Still working on confirming some of the details, and what it takes to make sure everything works well, but considering the amount of rain we saw in Sioux Falls last year and the fact that this place stayed dry through it, I'm not terribly concerned. We've had a couple of pretty significant rainfalls recently, and I've been impressed with how well water drains away from the house. That aspect seems to have been thought out pretty well.

In the photo you can see the two tiers of retaining wall; the lower part is original, and the upper part was added after the flooding. Also in the photo you can see some of the paver bed has failed around the grate and the pavers have sunk a bit in that spot. We're having someone come in this month to get that set right.

Meanwhile, I'm plugging away at getting things wrapped up at the old house, and still trying to get a few things put in order at the new place; the goal is to empty at least one box every day; so far my track record on that is pretty pathetic. :roll:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Back on the window rehab now that the weather isn't actively trying to kill me (+100 degree temps and lung-choking smoke filled air):
Spent yesterday stripping two sets of these 3-unit bays in the Breakfast Room at the front of the house. Two of these get blasted by the afternoon sun and wind so they're in bad shape:
Kind of a before (this is the front unit):

After I stripped the western side:

This is the eastern inside on the Front Porch and isn't exposed like the others, initially it looked solid and thought it would be a snap to prep; 3 hours later I was left with this:

(Man my hand is sore this morning)

So now to finish these completely:
-Strip the 3rd window unit
-Sanding: two stage 60/80 grit to even everything out, then 150/220 to smooth
-Filling: 1st round of Spackle/Wood filler/Bondo; let cure up 7 days
-Filling & Glazing: Sand first then 2nd round filler and window glazing; let cure up 2 weeks
-Paint Prep: final sanding 2nd round filler, remove all dust
-Painting: 1st coat Kilz Primer; let dry 1 week
-Painting: Light sand 1st coat primer, clean, 2nd coat Kilz Primer; let dry 1 week
-Painting: Light sand 2nd coat primer, clean, 1st coat Final Paint; let dry 1 week
-Painting: Final coat Final Paint; let dry 1 week
-Clean up: Razor off paint from glass, clean glass
-Weatherstripping: Install exterior drip edges, repair any jamb stripping that was damaged from last year
-Window Screens: Have at least 2 new screens made and install

Sigh. So, maybe these will be done by Thanksgiving?
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

What did I do to my house recently? I sold it and bought a new one!

Now I have a garage big enough for both the e28 and the AMG!

I know it's a mess... I'm still unpacking.
Tiit

Post by Tiit »

Do the windows above garage have a purpose or just for looks?
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Tiit wrote: Oct 19, 2020 4:57 AM Do the windows above garage have a purpose or just for looks?
I would say that "just for looks" qualifies as a purpose. The space above the garage is an attic that is all jammed full of heater and witchcraft.