0B1 is born, my very first 5er

Post your photos and videos here!
Seeker

0B1 is born, my very first 5er

Post by Seeker »

So the journey begins, just picked up my very first e28 1987 535is A/T in lachssilber over Cardinal red with 115,000k on the odometer.

The good...
It is an absolutely rust free Ca car with a clean title and no accidents... the car runs, stops, steers great with no shake or wandering, it feels tight with no funny noises, creeks or groans, the a/c blows ice cold air and the blower motor is silent, the on board computer functions as does the upper check list computer, sunroof functions perfectly, headliner is completely intact, no rust in the battery tray, all VINs reside in their places on each door as well as the trunk and hood, brakes work surprisingly well but I believe a e34/e32 upgrade is in order, the carpet is as good as they get with no visible wear, floor mats are the same, the white lettering on the controls are bright white with no wear and the steering wheel is wore in but not wore out.

The bad...
Engine: there are a few leaks from under the bonnet, power steering pump is very wet and will need rebuilding, it leaks from the valve cover but it needs a valve adjustment, looks like it has an oil pan or front seal leak and the master cylinder looks very moist, the front seats are toast, totally dry rot, I’m going to try to bring back the rear seat as it is not as bad...

The Ugly...
drivers sun visor is cracked on the inside corner were they all seem to fail but passengers is good, upper vinyl from the visor console is coming unglued as well so that whole area will have to be addressed, rear view mirror is going to need to be replaced, window tint that is so old that only the clear plastic remains, the clear coat is failing and flaking off, from what I’m learning this was a common problem with the metallic BMW paint of the era, that being said it has an interesting patina IMO, also has some whiskey dings that come with a car of this age, my paint-less dent removal guy will enjoy working on this car and it’s been a while since I’ve seen Steve, he does absolutely amazing paintless dent removal.

ImageImage
Last edited by Seeker on Nov 07, 2021 9:29 AM, edited 27 times in total.
cek

Re: 0B1 is born, my very first 5er

Post by cek »

Congrats. This looks like a great car. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

cek wrote: Aug 03, 2020 11:12 AM Congrats. This looks like a great car. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Thank you Charlie, coming from you that means a lot, you are a huge inspiration and I will being referring to your build threads and parts list for resources, I have already acquired a euro valance and have just ordered some Euro bumpers, turn signals, fog lamp housings and cover plates.
I will have to recover my seats and was wondering if anybody has used the guy on EBay selling seat kits?
David

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264744285938
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Solid starting point! Baseline it & have fun.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Nebraska_e28 wrote: Nov 17, 2020 12:10 AM Solid starting point! Baseline it & have fun.
Plus one. Your "ugly" category is easily addressed. Congrats on your acquisition.

Any updates?
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Much appreciated, Nebraska _28 and Bonsailbacker.

I started to pull everything apart on the car myself and the crank bolt stopped me in my tracks, then I realized I didn’t want to buy an engine hoist and stand so I pulled out my checkbook... now the car is at the mechanics and has been for a few months, we have resealed the entire engine and replaced the Timing chain and sprockets as well as having the head rebuilt while adding a 270 billet cam from Ireland Engineering, at this point the engine and 5spd transmission have been installed, I’m going today to pick up what I’m hopeful is the last parts needed to complete the car.
Fluids, driveshaft bolts, nuts and the correct manual transmission mounts, seemed to have ordered the wrong mounts, mine are 8mm bolts while these had 10mm size bolts.
I’ve also sourced a full euro conversion including headlights, bumpers, valance, turn signals and fog lights, so that will be next once we have it running of course.
Last edited by Seeker on Nov 07, 2021 9:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Just an update, car has been at the shop for roughly 14 months now... yes I know that's a long time but it's been on a "work on it when they have time" schedule, that said the 5-speed conversion is complete and the engine has had all the seals and gaskets replaced along with a rebuilt head, still working on some odds and ends but its running and driving now.
On a side note I'll be doing a euro bumper conversion when it returns home with most parts already sourced, diving boards and chin guard have already been sold. more to come...