Any Shop That Tune MegaSquirt in the DMV?

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
e38740imd

Any Shop That Tune MegaSquirt in the DMV?

Post by e38740imd »

Just Wondering does anyone know of a tuning shop in the DMV Area. I have my car running and idleing so its time to get it set up.

Issue is all the acclaimed performance shops in MD does not deal with MegaSquirt so now im near completion of the build and now no tuner

I was at first recommended to a shop in VA (Flim flam motorsports) that specializes in Megasquirt. But once i emailed them the details of the build. I stopped getting replies.

Anyone else know of any? I will have car towed to which ever shop

Let me know

I would do myself. But i dont really know how or mess up all the time spent doing all this work
mitch5

Re: Any Shop That Tune MegaSquirt in the DMV?

Post by mitch5 »

i would recommend street tuning it yourself, then when you have it running good on low boost look for a shop to dial in the timing. If you just call around shops and say "i just installed a megasquirt on my car and want you to tune" they will turn you down. They imagine a car that will be bogged down by issues, wiring, intercooler leaks, etc. A shop will take you alot more seriously when you say you have a street tuned car and just want to dial in the timing.

Here is how i would go about it.

1. Read up on basic engine tuning, corky bell has a great book but forums are great. BradDs old build here has a really good how to and has some maps.

2. Set your base afr and timing tables. Set your boost low 6psi, i would aim for 12.5 afr anytime in boost.

3. Get a good idle going, then once the car is warm start tuning. The autotune feature on the software is worth the money and will do a good job tuning all the afr off wot parameters. I would highly recommend data logging everything. Hell when i first started tuning my turbo ls i did it all via autotune and just made sure i rolled into boost slow.

4. Find a large parking lot and start tuning there, have a friend drive the car so you can adjust fueling. Start with part throttle loads and work your way around the map adjusting fuel. Roll into boost slowly at first, also make sure you run overboost cutoff, that will save you.

5. do some slow ramps into boost at say 3rd gear, run all the way to your redline. If you see anything go lean just back off add more fuel to the area and try again.

6.. eventually you will get more comfortable and in the process you can shake down the car, before going into full on pulls make sure you check your logs and verify that you are never leaning out your engine.

7. Youll want more boost and naturally you will keep pushing it, i found 1 bar(14.7psi) to be a sweet spot on my m30b35 with a holset.

After you street tune the car you will probabaly end up deciding not to dyno the car. Personally i see the dyno only being useful to dial in timing on a boosted motor and unless your trying to build a full out race motor where that extra 5% is needed then its just to expensive.
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

+1 Good reply Mitch. I was too lazy.
e38740imd

Post by e38740imd »

Mitch,

thanks for the responsive reply! i have called around some shops and most rejected the job. one guy in richmond is willing to to do as he specializes in megasquirt but who knows when i will get in.

i will first track down a misfire that the car has. maybe a bad fuel filter.

then i will do some street tuning. i just didnt want to risk my time and money to build this thing just to pop it

i may do exhaust first before i start tuning. so this would give me time to read up on tuning!
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

Smart move, i would definitely build your exhaust and fix that misfire before moving on.

Dont worry about popping the motor, at low boost you will be safe from blowing a gasket. Just keep the motor rich in boost and youll be fine.

You will soon discover that tuning for WOT is easy, its all the other points in the map that take the time to tune. Especially hot and cold starts.
e38740imd

Post by e38740imd »

mitch5 wrote: Jul 27, 2020 4:54 PM Smart move, i would definitely build your exhaust and fix that misfire before moving on.

Dont worry about popping the motor, at low boost you will be safe from blowing a gasket. Just keep the motor rich in boost and youll be fine.

You will soon discover that tuning for WOT is easy, its all the other points in the map that take the time to tune. Especially hot and cold starts.
yea i have all parts of that already. just need a good shop that charges good rates. so far 120hr seems to be the rate as i want mandrel bends and no crush bends etc.

will tow the car out for that this week!