Active Check Control - all indicators on

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
db9

Active Check Control - all indicators on

Post by db9 »

1984 533i auto (02/84 build)
Getting at some electrical item and one is the active check control - all lit up even though the brake bulbs etc are all functioning. I have seen one post that says to remove and let it re-boot..this unfortunately doesn't rectify the issue - is this unit basically shot or is there something else that triggers all the lights to be on. Pressing the test button doesn't do anything as well (could this be stuck on?)

EDIT: I see that I need to replace the active check control panel lamp - is this need to be operational for the system to work?
Also find that the OBC fuse also needs to be replaced - so I need to pick one up. Are these 2 units tied together in some fashion?

Thanks
JohnH

Re: Active Check Control - all indicators on

Post by JohnH »

Its been a year or two since I have driven mine, so I had to look it up. According to the drivers handbook, the lights should go out once you start the engine and press the brake pedal. That seems about right. Its a quite natural thing to do.
db9

Post by db9 »

Thanks John,
I do understand that starting the engine and pressing the brake is supposed to clear however this isn't the case - the lights still stay on all of the time.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I dont know what else to suggest. I've owned four E28s and never had any problems with the Check Control. Lets hope that RonW weighs in. He's the electrical guru around here.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Questions:
  1. Are the legends on the check panel illuminated (the words "BRAKE LIGHTS" "COOLANT" etc.), not just the red LEDs?
  2. When you start the car, does the Check light in the instrument cluster blink?
  3. If so, when you press the brake pedal, does the light extinguish?
If so, my first guess would be a stuck Test button.
db9

Post by db9 »

Hi Ron,

1) just the red LED's are lit.
2) The Check light at start is steady and remains steady.
3) if you mean by the "Check" light extinguish - the answer is no. If you mean the red LED's - also no

At start the seat belt sign comes on and goes off after a moment (belt not engaged)
The only fault that I know of is the brake lining sensor (front) needs to be fixed. The car also has a battery less SI board installed.

Thanks
RonW

Post by RonW »

I can't think of anything outside of the test panel that would light all its LEDs unless all that stuff was actually wrong with your car.

When you press the TEST button, do the captions on the LEDs light up? If they do, that absolves the button itself, but it just means there's something else wrong with the test panel.
db9

Post by db9 »

Thanks Ron,
No when you push the button the captions do not light up.. I'll play with the button first ..

Thanks again..