What did you do to your E28 today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Beemernut

Re: What did you do to your E28 today?

Post by Beemernut »

rochareels wrote:
Beemernut wrote:Sideswiped a guardrail on a mountain road. Front right fender is destroyed. Euro bumper isn't even scratched.
Uh-oh! Nobody hurt I hope. Good to hear it was just the fender. Replaceable enough.

:haul:
It was just me, driving fast and stupid. I'm fine. I was about 20 miles from and haven't driven the e28 since, but I did notice what felt like something kind of binding and releasing every few seconds at lower speeds, and the right rear wheel has curb rash all the way around...hopefully nothing bent back there.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Replaced the original fuel rail, injectors and fuel pressure regulator in the Diamantschwartz eta with NOS oem parts.

Best regards,

Mick
cek

Post by cek »

I made my windows go up and down really smoothly and fastly.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/direc ... _522622885

I also replaced the fuel relay, treated the leather, and poked out the little holes washer fluid comes out of so it actually comes out of all of them. Funday.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

cek wrote:I made my windows go up and down really smoothly and fastly.

This I need oh so badly. Unfortunately, I get a Page Not Found with your link.

So, what's your secret?
cek

Post by cek »

UltraSheen wrote:
cek wrote:I made my windows go up and down really smoothly and fastly.

This I need oh so badly. Unfortunately, I get a Page Not Found with your link.

So, what's your secret?
Stupid Instagram.

This thread is ok, http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=81436

But this guy is my hero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOyvvFCspn8
5 cents

Post by 5 cents »

My 1985 BMW 535i developed a coolant leak. New to wrenching, but have my Bentley and MyE28.com. Today, new coolant hoses, radiator, and fan clutch. Fan clutch seemed OK, but is probably original with 190,000 mi. Radiator is a Nissens and fan clutch is a Sachs/Horton. Only anecdotal maintenance history. Suspect radiator was also original. Surprised by how much more deterioration at front aspect of radiator compared to rear. Most importantly, cleaned up my red fan. <grin> Nothing leaking from the water pump, but that replacement is next, followed by replacement of power steering hoses where I have a definite leak.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Even with the exploding plastic sides of the newer plastic/Aluminum radiators, I prefer them, they just need better sides for the new stuff that runs crazy hot and high pressures.

However, there seems to be a market for the old copper/brass radiators that can be recored. In other words, put it on the part FS subforum and you might find a buyer, even in the condition it's in. BTW, that was not the original, the originals were plastic/Al.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Finally ordered my EAT chip..... he's having a spring sale for you other hold-outs so it's $199. Can't believe I waited this long on this car.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

drove it all afternoon yesterday. i fall in love with the car a little more every time i drive it. best goddamn purchase of my life.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Drove it to a car meet last night. There was no parking. I left. It was pretty much down the street.

I got a lot of compliments for the 5 minutes that I was looking for a spot though :D strangely no other vintage bimmers.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

My handbrake has felt very loose after the tow truck driver unloaded it the other day... so I brought it into work, adjusted rear shoes, still bad. Adjusted the 2 nuts, still bad. Turns out, the metal around the handbrake succumbed to fatigue and just tore open, similar to this thread viewtopic.php?t=126020
I will probably try to get it welded/reinforced. For now, I hammered the metal back in place and will gingerly pull the brake. At least I can park on the driveway again.

On a side note, I think I like the look of the handbrake without the plastic surround.
a

Post by a »

I mowed right up to passgrs side of the 533i prepping for a BOT listing :D
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Motor Mounts.
Guibo.

Like wow, really needed them. So smooth now it's awesome.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

New trunk seal and tail light gaskets. Been chasing a trunk leak.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

5 cents wrote: May 22, 2020 4:25 PM My 1985 BMW 535i developed a coolant leak. New to wrenching, but have my Bentley and MyE28.com. Today, new coolant hoses, radiator, and fan clutch. Fan clutch seemed OK, but is probably original with 190,000 mi. Radiator is a Nissens and fan clutch is a Sachs/Horton. Only anecdotal maintenance history. Suspect radiator was also original. Surprised by how much more deterioration at front aspect of radiator compared to rear. Most importantly, cleaned up my red fan. <grin> Nothing leaking from the water pump, but that replacement is next, followed by replacement of power steering hoses where I have a definite leak.
Looks good, and FYI the plastic air deflector that mounts on top of the radiator is still available from BMW and is not hugely expensive (around $30 IIRC). It attaches to the upright metal tabs using a pair of clips which are also available.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

HayekFan wrote: Jun 30, 2020 1:22 PM followed by replacement of power steering hoses where I have a definite leak.
I recrimped my clamps.... to apparent success..... Let's wait a week and see my Alpinweiss friend.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

HayekFan wrote: Jun 30, 2020 12:52 PM New trunk seal and tail light gaskets. Been chasing a trunk leak.
Make sure no cracks in the lenses. I had a < 1" star crack in one lens. Turned out water was getting sucked through that. Super-glued and no issues since.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

topher800 wrote: Jun 30, 2020 9:39 PMMake sure no cracks in the lenses. I had a < 1" star crack in one lens. Turned out water was getting sucked through that. Super-glued and no issues since.
My lenses are crack free but I do appreciate the tip. We've had storms lately and the new tail light gaskets seem to have completely fixed the leaks around the lights. I thought this would be the end of the story but it turns out there's another leak. It originates from up high, in the forward upper left corner of the trunk. I'm guessing it's the rear window -- a distinct possibility since I recently replaced the window and gasket. I used sealant but I'm thinking I might need to add some more.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Finally tried 303 Aerospace for trim and tires the past couple weeks. My gosh where have you been all of my life. Perfect coverage with no bullshit extra sheen, and lasts a long time and does not leave chalky white on the grill or hood vents as many inferior products do as they fade out. They just get a little less black.
https://tinyurl.com/yar4bedh
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

303 is good stuff, for sure.

I went out to the store today, but only looked at my M535i before getting in the 325iX...it's 90 degrees with tropical humidity here today, and I decided a white car with cold air conditioning was a better choice than a black car with malfunctioning a/c. :) Gotta get that fixed one of these days.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Drove Maxine barefoot, as I always did with my tii back in VA Beach. I can't believe that was TWENTY years ago. And BTW there is a great BAP-GEON store that I believe is still there... I hope so. They were so cool man anything you needed if your friends didn't have it they would muscle it up for you with a smile.

All that's missing is the sand. And the youth. And the health. And the beach girls. And the...... but seriously if you have an '02 make sure to drive it barefoot and hopefully to the beach. If you have not done so yet, you'll see. Just soooo connected.

PS: Window switches on doors are just plain stupid. You take your eye away from the center of the car and the road ahead that you're fucking supposed to be paying attention to - and your line of sight is blocked by your fucking arm, right. So until you are familiar with the car it's also dangerous. Some things just didn't need to be changed dammit.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

SeattleGuy wrote: Jul 13, 2020 12:40 AM
PS: Window switches on doors are just plain stupid. You take your eye away from the center of the car and the road ahead that you're fucking supposed to be paying attention to - and your line of sight is blocked by your fucking arm, right. So until you are familiar with the car it's also dangerous. Some things just didn't need to be changed dammit.
WTF! The only time I ever use them is at a toll booth or a drive up mailbox. Either way I'm stopped.

That's what the vents in the dash are for, either unconditioned outside air, or A/C. Windows down always feel like it's blowing at the back of my head. :evil:
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

I fixed the interior light delay following these directions. works perfectly now on any door!
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

sixseries wrote: Jul 13, 2020 2:15 AM I fixed the interior light delay following these directions. works perfectly now on any door!
Bad link - here it is: http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/delay.htm
RonW

Post by RonW »

sixseries wrote: Jul 13, 2020 2:15 AM I fixed the interior light delay following these directions. works perfectly now on any door!
John in VA wrote: Jul 13, 2020 1:40 PMBad link - here it is: http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/delay.htm
My '87 535is would only delay if I opened the driver's door. I replaced the delay unit with 61 31 1 373 974 and it no longer does this. The original unit has a TG pin, which is connected to the door handle. Here's a schematic for the original unit: http://e28-535i.com/upload/e28LightDelay.pdf. You may be able to modify it to not need the TG pin grounded to charge the capacitor. Maybe remove TG externally, and internally connect it to TK? I haven't tried it, so I don't know.