High Mileage Grill Badges

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Travis R

High Mileage Grill Badges

Post by Travis R »

I did a search and didn't find anything. Does BMW have anything like this? I know Volvo does for 100K miles, and up.
Seems appropriate given how long these cars last.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

No, BMW doesn't offer these. Considering that BMW doesn't prosletyze about how "long-lasting" or what a "good value" their cars are, that's not surprising -- it would be counter to their desired image.
Tim in N FL

Post by Tim in N FL »

Let's face it...100,000 miles is NOTHING for almost any car made these days. Many owners put those kinds of miles on GM, Ford, and other domestic vehicles without much ado. The problem seems to be keeping them going beyond that 100-120k period without a complete mechanical restoration and/or drivetrain replacement.

The same could be said of many import vehicles. Case in point, I remember completely rebuilding the entire front end, all suspension parts, engine top-end, clutch kit, A/C on my rusty 1990 Acura Integra RS at ~120-130k miles to the tune of $3000-4000 (parts & labor). I sold the car in 2000 with 185k and it is still running around town with over 230k. Does this make it a car that one can get excited about? I do not think so...

I have always admired that fact that BMW AG does not need to tout the longevity / durability of their products by rewarding their enthusiastic owners with a badge that says something to the effect of "Thank God! This car made it to 100k, 200k, etc."

Be that as it may, I did have both of the high miles badges installed on my Dad's former Mercedes-Benz w116 450sel which we sold at 312,000 miles. It is still going around town with its 4th owner. Truth be told the Benzes from that era were damned tough. The newer ones...after 1992 just plain suck in most respects.

I rather enjoy having unsuspecting admirer look at my current 535is and remark...wow this car has 200,000 on it. Truth be told...I think it has a good bit more than that... 8)

JM2CW...
Tim
laguna30

High mileage

Post by laguna30 »

I agree 100k is not as impressive but cars running at 200k and above in my mind get extra credit -
More so when people walk up and are stunned by the odometer reading .. ':shock:'
Plus I like grill badges..heh

72 Bavaria 320kmiles
80 320is 305k miles
88 M5 230k miles

John
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

The E24 group had some grill badges made for the SE SharkFest by a guy in MD. I have his contact info at home. I'm sure there's a minimum, but you could have some made up!
Bimmerguy2002

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

jeez my super eta has 360,000+ miles too.... :(
BMWgiant

Post by BMWgiant »

I wish I knew how miles were on my car.. The odometer stopped at 110k 2 owners before my brother had the car.. So now that is 3 people since and I know I've added some good miles driving all over Florida with it... I can only imagine the car has anywhere from 150-200k. So if I were to fix it, which I plan to do some day, What would be the ideal mileage to show on the car? The car looks as though it has less than 100k, so I am sure I can pass with any. But I'd rather be more honest without killing the value... Any ideas?
Vin Diesel

Post by Vin Diesel »

I really wouldnt worry as these last forvever.
I mean mine still has the cross hatch pattern in the cylinder wall, looks like it was just bored out too.
The n00b owner before me used crap oil, now that ive gotten my precious back to good, it should last another 150,000 at least.
Ive put 70,000 on it so far in 10 months i think....my precioussssss

the main thing is do take care of valve lash, and change the oil every 5,000 miles at least, air filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor etc...
From the factory i wouldnt be suprised a properly maintained one last about 700,000.
Given that the piston rings are changed and valve seals too along that period.
Travis R

Post by Travis R »

I'd like to see what they looked like. I agree 100K isn't a big thing, but I think we could have a 200K and maybe a 250, 300, 350, etc.
John in VA wrote:The E24 group had some grill badges made for the SE SharkFest by a guy in MD. I have his contact info at home. I'm sure there's a minimum, but you could have some made up!
C.J.

Post by C.J. »

My car currently has 212,000 miles on it and she still runs pretty good, other than a small seal leak somewhere and various little bothersome quirks. I bought it in August with 164,000. Almost 50,000 miles in one year, not bad eh?
RonP

Post by RonP »

My US M5 is about to hit 300k!

I think she is broken in now!
Lando

Re: High Mileage Grill Badges

Post by Lando »

Hi guys, sorry I realize this post is old but, I was doing some research and I ran across your forum. I run a small accessory shop out of my home and sell a ton of high mileage emblem for Toyota Honda Chevy, yes chevy! But I've had a few inquiries on BMW and it never crossed my mind since I thought the manaufacter would give them away. Well as I read on and called BMW it turns out they don't..... I took to the internet and came across your post. I wanted to get some feedback from BMW heads like myself ...I have an E28 with 350k and would like to show the fact it has 350k on it!!!!. I Can have these emblems made and was.wonsering if anyone would be interested? I can have them made with up to 500k on them. At a price point of $25.00 and the would be metal 82 mm same size as the BMW emblem... I'm attaching a picture of 3 different styles please give me your feedback on which one would be best to go with and is any one interested... I would really appreciate it.

http://www.thereandbackagain.co.za/wp-c ... emblem.jpg

https://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/emblem/award_emblem.jpg
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

The one with the screw holes in it appears to be the original one BMW through the US distributor Butler & Smith gave to BMW motorcycle owners. I think BMW USA stopped doing it but they do give (or did) awards to the rider for 1,000,000 miles (Dave Swisher).

If your's look like either of those (only saw two) then I'd be in for several. Can you make them with posts to replace the crappy hood badges?
Lando

Post by Lando »

Hey BMWCCA2,thanks for answering my post! I was going to be making them with the adhesive backing but I do have the option of making them with the posts also. I didn't even think of that! I was thinking of making them with adhesive only but that's a great suggestion...which style do you think people will prefer?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I am not sure 100,000 is much to write home about, but interesting idea. My 3 e28's are all at 250-285,000 miles.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

tschultz wrote:I am not sure 100,000 is much to write home about, but interesting idea. My 3 e28's are all at 250-285,000 miles.
I agree, I would think that you should start at 250K then to 300K, 400K and of course 500K.

I think adhesive attachment would be a non-starter; how does that work to attach to a grille? If you mean to replace the hood Roundel, I don't think you'd get many who would want to do that to their paint (provided the finish was intact). The traditional center screw post with a single long screw bolt & plate to secure it through the back side of the grille is the best way to go; why re-invent the wheel?

It might be interesting to make it to replace the Roundels, with the two posts mounted into the grommets.

In for watching this develop, even though my M535i is got a long way to go hit the mileage benchmarks I listed above.
Lando

Post by Lando »

Thanks for the input, I will definitely incorporate this. Do you think it should be the original BMW color or should I go with the other bronze style? My thought behind the adhesive backing was for anyone with the X3, 5, 6 for the tailgate similar to how volvo does theirs... but thank you for the input, please keep it coming
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Nice idea. Pretty much echoing Vince's remarks I think starting at 250 K would be good, IMO I'd almost make fun of anyone with a badge of anything less, at least under my breath. And I think grill mount would be preferred, for me at least. Round grill badges aren't always bad, but think about rectangular. Maybe something like this, a very amateurish presentation but that might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Lando

Post by Lando »

Thx mike, maybe I'll have a few different styles. Now quick question, the round ones, should they be the type to replace the Oem emblem or bolt on type directly to the grille
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Personally I'd go with grill mount, not as a replacement for the hood emblem. But keep in mind on many of the older cars like E28s, the badge would have to be set at an angle for grill mounting as the grill has a noticeable angle to it, otherwise it would sort of be pointed at the ground. (slight exaggeration)
Lando

Post by Lando »

Got it' great input thanks'
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Lando wrote:...My thought behind the adhesive backing was for anyone with the X3, 5, 6...
:laugh: Sorry, have to laugh at that one thinking that any of the X's will make it to 300K (maybe the early X5's will make it to 250K, but then the whole thing might implode) :rofl:
Lando

Post by Lando »

:D very true Mike but I've seen a few with at least 275 by some miracle!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

That was Vince, but that's ok. :laugh:
Lando

Post by Lando »

Sorry Mike! Thx Vince