What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Tulsa6

Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

Post by Tulsa6 »

Also, I was out for a drive when this caught my eye pulling into a side street up ahead a bit. I decided to pull in to see what it was - thought it was a Ford GT 40 from the color until it was able to get closer.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/gallery/imag ... 16_101550/
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Well it is, right? Well Ford GT. Same thing new flavor. I kinda like the older one more. Much more.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Well I saw a Sterling. It being an Acura Legend does not render it "out of the ordinary" per se.... but does the fact that it was running at speeds up to 80 mph qualify it is out of the ordinary then? :|
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

SeattleGuy wrote:Image
Well I saw a Sterling. It being an Acura Legend does not render it "out of the ordinary" per se.... but does the fact that it was running at speeds up to 80 mph qualify it is out of the ordinary then? :|
I'd say out of the ordinary - can't recall the last time I saw a Sterling. Don't know how they took a Honda/Acura & made it a dog. Tail lights look very Bimmerish.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

John in VA wrote:
SeattleGuy wrote: Well I saw a Sterling. It being an Acura Legend does not render it "out of the ordinary" per se.... but does the fact that it was running at speeds up to 80 mph qualify it is out of the ordinary then? :|
I'd say out of the ordinary - can't recall the last time I saw a Sterling. Don't know how they took a Honda/Acura & made it a dog. Tail lights look very Bimmerish.
Yep, I can't remember the last one I saw on the road. I did see them once in a while in Pick and Pull though.

re: tailights. Probably because England is close to being European and they had to do something to make it a little bit different, so more European style tailights.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

A couple of hipsters in an E28.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Back to that Sterling for a minute LOL:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/ ... -fastback/
Sterling 827 buyers got the 2.7-liter 24-valve Honda V6, same as the Japanese-market Legend (the first-gen US-market Acura Legends had a slightly less powerful version), but they also got cars full of Lucas electrics, hammered together by angry Englishmen who saw the union-busting face of Maggie Thatcher in every fastener they pounded. American buyers edged away in horror.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No pics, but a very loud, visually, Porsche. A GT3RS IIRC. Looked much like the pics, color included on the Porsche website. A tail spoiler that would make the most hardened ricer proud. Subtle as a heart attack with paint/decals all over it. But I bet it goes like stink.

Didn't really like it myself, but while I'm sure they're better cars, I've little enthusiasm for any of the 911 profile water cooled Porches. But it did get my attention on the freeway. :laugh:
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

I was at a local "Cars and Coffee" event this weekend grabbing a cup of joe and an apple fritter donut, (what else) and I saw this gem. A very cool deTomaso; which at first glance, I thought was a "Pantera". Wait! It's actually a "Mangusta" model. How would you like this beast as a daily? Wild looking back window treatment.

ImageDeTomaso - Mangusta by rochareels, on Flickr
ImageDeTomaso - Mangusta rear by rochareels, on Flickr
ImageDeTomoso - Mangusta side by rochareels, on Flickr
Last edited by rochareels on Feb 07, 2020 3:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Saw 3 VW buses Sunday. The newest one was a split windshield, but later, like mid 60s. The next was small rear window, ~60. The last was really an early one, small rear window, small round taillights, small front turn signals with a van body, no windows except the hatch. And louvers on the side, up towards the top. Like the engine vents, but high. I'd guesstamate it as mid 50's.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Couldn't help myself, not a classic or anything special but out of the ordinary for sure...

amagansa

Post by amagansa »

kojo96 wrote:Couldn't help myself, not a classic or anything special but out of the ordinary for sure...
More impressed by the fact that he secured the custom license plate "SLAMMED". Is that an Acura?
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I got talked into visiting a small local car show when I should have been doing some billing. The sweetener was "You can Drive". No pics, but 750 hp in a '19 Corvette ZR1 is extraordinary. It'll step out a bit before the nannies take over. Being season here in Fl and in town limited the fun.

There were quite a few nice rides there, including a Ford GT in Gulf livery. First I've seen one in the wild. Well worth not accomplishing enough today.

Ross
633 Dinan turbo
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

A couple of days ago within an hour. A very clean Peugeot 504 diesel, which I do see every so often, very clean with a relatively recent repaint. Then a Peugeot 505. Didn't see a ding in it but it probably last saw wax when Reagan was in office. Oxidized would be understating it. Still, I like seeing different stuff. :D
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I knew it could be done, but I didn't know if I would actually see one in the wild. Is this like the american version of Nissan's Sileighty?
cek

Post by cek »

Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

In keeping with the DeTomaso theme, here’s a Pantera GTS I spotted at my local suburban shopping centre a few weeks back, parked within a disabled space and driven by an Italian guy in his ‘70’s who’s moustache looked as though it’d disable you if you mentioned it.

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Last week I saw a Delorean pulling out of the Walmart lot. Didn't have time to get a photo though. The weather wasn't great, so it was a surprise to see it out & about, with local plates on it even. I guess time travelers need groceries during lockdown too.

Today I saw this gem sneaking up on my work van. Had a nice sound to it.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

So I was driving to my one weekly meeting outside my office this afternoon when I hit the intersection of Sunset Blvd. and Beverly Drive, right at the Beverly Hills Hotel, and what did I see in front of me but this:

Almost didn't get the shot, and it took me a little bit of Googling to find it: 1956 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible. :shock:
Nice looking older couple out for an afternoon drive with the top down.

Not the same car, but a similar one sold this last August for a nice, princely sum: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956- ... elia-b24s/
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Only unusual now, but I saw a self-propelled ~1970 Microbus over the weekend.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I just saw a 1986-88 Porsche 928S.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Drove out to look at a B35 motor advertised locally, pulled up to the house and this was in the driveway- Very clean and original, and still driven locally in the Bay Area. There were also a couple of e9 cars that were very clean, a older Maserati, a beautiful 1957 Porsche speedster and probably one of the cleanest e24 euro M6s I've ever seen.

cek

Post by cek »

kojo96 wrote:Drove out to look at a B35 motor advertised locally, pulled up to the house and this was in the driveway- Very clean and original, and still driven locally in the Bay Area. There were also a couple of e9 cars that were very clean, a older Maserati, a beautiful 1957 Porsche speedster and probably one of the cleanest e24 euro M6s I've ever seen.

:shock:
RonW

Post by RonW »

Saw a red Ferrari 328 GTS at the post office today. It had convex wheels, so it was an '88 or '89 - the last two years of production.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

kojo96 wrote: May 18, 2020 8:55 PM Drove out to look at a B35 motor advertised locally, pulled up to the house and this was in the driveway- Very clean and original, and still driven locally in the Bay Area. There were also a couple of e9 cars that were very clean, a older Maserati, a beautiful 1957 Porsche speedster and probably one of the cleanest e24 euro M6s I've ever seen.

WHOA... did you tell the guy "well just let me know when you need to free up some space in your garage..."