St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELADO!!!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Ray in Phoenix

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: 19th Annual Gathering in San Diego

Post by Ray in Phoenix »

In the past there has been enough alcohol to kill any virus at this event....
I am hoping for the same this year.
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Thanks for that,did not know it was a unofficial gathering .

However in a visible location the risk is still that authorities can interfere if they so chose n one would assume they will as all other events will be nonexistent and any gathering will stand out. Hanging out with friends @ home having few brews n burgers is more discreet n would fly under radar undetected n undisturbed most likely.

I agree with much of what's been said but to what degree we cooperate n put selves and others at risk is up to individuals. Most are not going to live in bubble as we do have to live but there are things we can n will do . Things are going to be very different moving forward sort of like 9/11 effect

Here is an interesting article I read this week investigating stock crash that makes more sense and explains why government's are taking measure they are. Read similar articles re this ,not being covered in main news media. Maybe it will cause even more hysteria if did? Hopefully the strategy succeeds n we don't turn into situation Italy
Is in at moment.

https://tradesmithdaily.com/educational ... ntent=blog
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

What the hell? Cancel?! OVER?! WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?
If I can catch a quick flight, I might even make it out. mOAr beer for me if some of you pillow biters are skerred. No mouth kisses this time people. . . and you KNOW who you are. :|
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

88m6 wrote:I would assume organizers are checking with local authorities who issued permit if event will be allowed to proceed due to CDPH instructions. Be ashamed if those that will be coming a fair distance to be turned away at the door.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... .11.20.pdf

It does include OUTDOOR events.

It may be out of anyone's hands except authorities at this point and not open for debate.
I believe the magic number is 250 in said gathering. I don't believe we number that many. But then again I went to SDSU and may have been passed out on the lawn at a frat party when we covered that in remedial math 101.

Jesus Christ! People ur freaking me out! I got better things to worry about like being out of toilet paper. Stealing from Darin's was my last resort..
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

rochareels wrote:
88m6 wrote:I would assume organizers are checking with local authorities who issued permit if event will be allowed to proceed due to CDPH instructions. Be ashamed if those that will be coming a fair distance to be turned away at the door.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... .11.20.pdf

It does include OUTDOOR events.

It may be out of anyone's hands except authorities at this point and not open for debate.
I believe the magic number is 250 in said gathering. I don't believe we number that many. But then again I went to SDSU and may have been passed out on the lawn at a frat party when we covered that in remedial math 101.

Jesus Christ! People ur freaking me out! I got better things to worry about like being out of toilet paper. Stealing from Darin's was my last resort..
BYOTP!
wkohler

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary POSTPONED!!

Post by wkohler »

Everyone, please take note of the changes made to the original post. It's been discussed amongst several of us and we are unfortunately postponing the festivities. We have set a new date for the weekend of May 9th. We know it won't likely work for everyone and we are hopeful by then that there will be a handle or at very least enough information on the threat that we can move forward. I guess we have a solid month to see how things go. There were a lot of factors in this decision and it was not taken lightly. We are sorry for those that have to figure out their travel situation, especially Ivo. Sorry for the disappointment. Hopefully if you are canceling/changing lodging reservations and flights, you aren't screwed.
danix

Post by danix »

Kudos to the organizers. I think this was the responsible thing to do, as difficult as it is. I'd be really upset if I learned that I passed a deathly virus on to some older/compromised person just because I decided to go to a "car thing."

I will do everything possible to attend the rescheduled event.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Well done.

This is an absolutely unprecedented situation, and herd immunity, or minimizing infection, applies. The problem isn't getting sick, it's possibly passing it on to 1 or 2 or 10 people, and them getting sick. Or worse.

I just hope things are stabilized by May 9.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Well poop. :evil:
At least now maybe I can come on out and drink all yur beer and slap Yar around again.
Hermes

Post by Hermes »

Cinco de Mayo Fiesta!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

One thing that surprised me was how easy it was to cancel reservations. I didn't do a prepay at any of them, but SD had already charged the card, but it was just a couple of minutes to stop everything. I thought for sure I'd be jumping thru hoops.
knunger

Post by knunger »

Damn! This sucks but it is certainly understandable.

I just wish the announcement would have come a day later. I only half-finished my detailing of the E28...
topher800

Post by topher800 »

The Quarantini:

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

May 9? Interesting... And looking at how cheap airfare is all of a sudden, interestinger still.
oldskool wrote:Well poop. :evil:
At least now maybe I can come on out and drink all yur beer and slap Yar around again.
A ride in this thing would be my primary goal. :cool:

Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Well let me tell you, I was in So. Cal. the beginning of this week for work and then to go to SD before everything fell apart. And I can tell you it was no fun (well, other than being with Doug, Ivo and Christian for a bit) down there. Traffic was great but the atmosphere was surreal and it was unsettling that many restaurants were closed and those that were open were take out only. I even went to the Jack-in-the-Box next door to work and they wouldn't let me in. Ended up leaving So. Cal. 2 days later and glad to be home.

I sure hope we can meet on May 8-9!!!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^I can concur with Eric. The atmosphere is downright eerie at times, it's got a post-apocalyptic vibe; but traffic has never been lighter and I suspect we'll never see it like this again.
Normal day-to-day stuff is strange, this was in the bank on Friday with the 6' separation rule being enforced:

But generally speaking both Jay3 (Elguappo) and I were feeling this most of the day:

Anyway, true to SoCal form and to rub salt into the wound, instead of the threat of rain, it turned into a really beautiful weekend. Mary and I went out to one of the parks just to get out of the house this morning (as did everyone else it seems, because what else are we going to do?). Franklin Canyon Park:

Anyway, very much looking forward to May 9th.
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

topher800 wrote:The Quarantini:

Nice. I'm guessing two parts ATF, one part unleaded premium with a glob of axle grease?

Yes, the freeways are unreal. Better move over if you're not doing at least 90 in the fast lane.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Ivo & Christian are wheels up in 20 minutes; non-stop KLM LAX to Amsterdam.
I know this because I just returned from LAX after an emergency call from Ivo asking I take a cylinder head off his hands as it was rejected at security. Almost no traffic at the airport so it wasn't a big deal; I was able to make the LAX loop in under 2 minutes :shock: . (Anyone who knows LAX knows that loop can take up to an hour on a Sunday afternoon).

Hopefully Ivo can make it back in May, it just wouldn't be the same without the Dutch contingency :| .
Ricky535

Post by Ricky535 »

vinceg101 wrote:Ivo & Christian are wheels up in 20 minutes; non-stop KLM LAX to Amsterdam.
I was able to make the LAX loop in under 2 minutes :shock: . (Anyone who knows LAX knows that loop can take up to an hour on a Sunday afternoon).
:| .
Wow that is fast .
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Well, some golf courses are open here and they are crowded! Can't go inside the pro shop...they have a table at the door to do business. And only one person per golf cart. Driving range is open. I may golf with my neighbors next week.

The trails and parks have more people.

And there is fishing (if I can get a license...).
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

vinceg101 wrote:Ivo & Christian are wheels up in 20 minutes; non-stop KLM LAX to Amsterdam.
I know this because I just returned from LAX after an emergency call from Ivo asking I take a cylinder head off his hands as it was rejected at security. Almost no traffic at the airport so it wasn't a big deal; I was able to make the LAX loop in under 2 minutes :shock: . (Anyone who knows LAX knows that loop can take up to an hour on a Sunday afternoon).

Hopefully Ivo can make it back in May, it just wouldn't be the same without the Dutch contingency :| .
I was wondering about them. Sounds as good as could be hoped for. I love it, TSA rejects a head. :roll: Oh well, it's not like they pay them to be smart.

May 9. I'll try to make it, but I'm not holding my breath. Actually I seriously doubt it will go off as projected. I just hope this year doesn't kill it next year and for good, it's gotta be a challenge for Darin even though he says it's a piece of cake by now, let alone whoever else gets recruited for Friday night. :cry:
topher800

Post by topher800 »

John SCB wrote:
topher800 wrote:The Quarantini:

Nice. I'm guessing two parts ATF, one part unleaded premium with a glob of axle grease?
That is the recipe for the car. For us humans, We had come up with three parts Navy Strength gin or Cask strength Rye, one part hand sanitizer, rim glass with Emergen-C.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

2020 St. Paddy's Day Gathering Cancelled due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (April 22, 2020) — Knowing that entrants, judges, volunteers and guests face ongoing health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, officials of the St. Paddy's Day Gathering have decided to cancel the Show which was scheduled for March 21, 2020 and later postponed to May 9, 2020.

“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the St. Paddy's Day Gathering and who are impacted by this decision,” said Festmeister Darin Stephenson. “Many of our entrants have been working on preparation for over a year, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made."

“We thank all of the enthusiasts who have gathered at the St. Paddy's Day Gathering time and again to renew long-standing friendships, celebrate great cars and give so generously to St. Paddy's Day charities — and who have already expressed their support for the coming celebration no matter the date.”

Features will remain as planned, with a Friday Evening "pre-party," a display of vehicles at the boat trailer parking lot at Mission Bay and social festivities continuing into the night with catered lunch and dinner at 3459 Ashford Company headquarters.

“3459 Ashford Company has been pleased to host this event since its beginning, and we look forward to hosting the 19th (but really 20th) celebration in 2021,” said President Emeritus Morgan Lastovo. “This event does more than celebrate great cars; it benefits so many people in need of a good time. Ultimately, the continued health and safety of everyone associated with the Gathering is our number one priority, which led us to this difficult decision. We recognize that cancelling the 2020 Event will be disappointing to many, although we are confident it is appropriate under these unique circumstances.”

All tickets purchased to date for the 19th St. Paddy's Day Gathering will be valid for the event in 2021. Ticket purchasers who cannot attend the 19th but really 20th gathering on its new 2021 date, can request a refund by emailing info@gopoundsand.com.

For more information on the Gathering, go to http://www.mye28.com.

About St. Paddy's Day Gathering

First conducted in 2002, St. Paddy's Day Gathering® has grown to be the world's premier celebration of the E28 BMW 5-series. Only the most beautiful and historic cars are invited to appear on the famed eroded pavement of the Mission Bay Boat launch parking lot, and connoisseurs of art and style gather to admire these masterpieces. Charitable donations raised by St. Paddy's Day Gathering® now total over $23.32. 3459 Ashford®, St. Paddy's Day Gathering®, and St. Paddy's Day Gathering O'Fishel Thread are trademarks, service marks and trade dress of 3459 Ashford Company. All rights reserved.

About 3459 Ashford Company

3459 Ashford Company, headquartered in San Diego, Calif., owns and operates the world-famous 3459 Ashford®, including The Lodge at 3459 Ashford™, The Inn at 3459 Ashford™ and Casa 3459 Ashford®. The company also operates one renowned backyard: The Ashford Arboretum®. It annually hosts premier events such as the St. Paddy's Day Gathering®. For reservations or more information please hold.
TurboE28

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELAD

Post by TurboE28 »

Thanks again to everyone involved. See y'alls in 2021... save my mug for next year :rofl:
davintosh

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELAD

Post by davintosh »

Maybe next year.