OK... on to the next one! 10/24/20 update

Post your photos and videos here!
RoyW

OK... on to the next one! 10/24/20 update

Post by RoyW »

Well, I thought my last "project car" was the B9, which is 95% completed and on it's way to KS (and George) And, with my recent move, downsizing, no available garage or storage space, and a promise to the wife that I was done... that should be the case. But... this little opportunity presented itself, and I couldn't pass it up... having had one before, but never really using it :oops: :lol: So, after pleading with the Mrs. and a few new promises, I bought it :D

This car was in "mid-project" state, as the owner had passed years ago and it sat in his garage until his wife decided it had to go. He had done all the body and paint work (that was his profession) and was beginning assembly. It needs for assembly to be completed, but needs a lot of mechanical work, like clutch, brakes, suspension, wiring, etc. And, the engine is a bit of an unknown... having been installed, but not started in over 20 years.

So, I'll have it assessed at VSR, develop a priority list, discuss options, and proceed from there. I'm hoping it can be running and on the road by Summer. I'm planning, for the most part, to keep it stock (not my usual MO)... and have a cool little driver. I'll not bore you guys with a build thread, as one non-e28 was enough :)

Here's a few pics.

-RoyW

Image20191113_121315 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191113_121336 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191113_121324 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Last edited by RoyW on Oct 24, 2020 10:39 PM, edited 9 times in total.
RMP

Re: OK... on to the next one!

Post by RMP »

Let's vote on that build thread, 1 for. Please
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

+ 2
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

+3, but euro bumpers a must.
knunger

Post by knunger »

+4.

It's not WHAT you do, It's HOW you go about it...
5280 JB

Post by 5280 JB »

You know..........that would really look good in Sepang ;)
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

I'm another vote for a detailed build thread!
sail_or_drive

Post by sail_or_drive »

+n for the build thread, please.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Roy I'm glad to see another of your projects starting. Please let your wife know that we'll all be really upset if you stop this most important work. + another vote!!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Interested to see what you do with it! Surprised you’re getting into a project so soon.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

wkohler wrote:Interested to see what you do with it! Surprised you’re getting into a project so soon.
Me too. Wasn't the plan, just happen! :)

-RoyW
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Got some excellent news last week from VSR... they built oil pressure and the engine started and ran fine!! YEA!!. They added coolant into the engine, installed the door gaskets, and the rear side window trim and glass to make the car weather tight, then put her in storage until the next planned session in December when I'll go up and lend a hand.

We discussed the plan to lower the stance some with an H&R/Bilstein set-up, add fresh stock clutch and stock brakes, as well as suspension components with rubber bushing as needed. We'll see about fuel lines, brake lines, etc. next visit to he shop? Will take pictures then too... I know there are engine components that need a good refresh, e.g., valve cover , alternator, etc. (see pic)

Can't wait for my December visit ... meanwhile, digging out from a 20+ inch snow storm here in Albany (and its still coming down!) !!

-RoyW

ImageiFkPYaCHyaPH6rmMCrwL1E-VV_bKOcyqST2QBLDMn9tnbb6b5Jd2Hm54bFaKZGXMIJdWenLBIQnnB9SEPDLtso5s9kKfGWp5tl7nBXYBu85OkucmTTLDQeFj4URPFX5K-iE20m4GSW6eiTR7ASB2uxs3b3u1qLhYpLfi0WZnEp96YDywBrECc1vBIXemWgC9V8uAL2Sdw4gpvqj8m6vs8P by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Great starting point. Looking forward to the updates.
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Roy,

Let me know where to book my ticket for :shock: :cool: I play with tii these days.

Euro bumpers from @Blunttech vote here.
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

RoyW wrote:So, after pleading with the Mrs. and a few new promises, I bought it :D
Mary's a keeper Roy. You on the other hand...... :laugh:

Please let me know when you'll be at VSR. I'd like to see you and the car. Plan on doing Vintage at Saratoga this year July 11th. No excuses living in Albany now! Congrats on the 02 project, nice find.
GaAlpinaOwner

Post by GaAlpinaOwner »

I knew you not go w/o a project or 2 for too long! Congrats Roy!

David Frankel
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

With the holidays over, the weather unseasonably nice here in the Northeast, and most of the needed parts gathered, the '02 was brought out of storage yesterday and back into the shop (VSR). I stopped in today and found it up on the lift and ready for parts removal and replacement. The plan is to get these items installed, get the car running again, and then put it back into storage until April when I'll get to the interior re-assembly and any remaining exterior or mechanical items will be addressed.

The work being done this week includes the R&R of: springs & shocks; tie-rods, master and slave clutch; strut bearing support; lower radiator hose; sub-frame mounts; SS brake lines; rear wheel cylinders; rotors; and re-build of front calipers. Here's a few pics from today.

-RoyW

ImageP1152128 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152129 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152137 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152123 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152144 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152124 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152143 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152136 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1152125 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: OK... on to the next one! 02/06/20 update

Post by RoyW »

In January, great progress was made on all the mechanical issues needing attention on my '75 2002... thanks to VSR. She is running well and most all that was planned for these Winter months has been completed and she is back in storage until Spring when I return from FL and the re-assemble of the interior, some exterior items, and any remaining mechanical issues will be addressed. Hoping to be on the road in early Summer! Here's a summary of what was completed this past month.

GENERAL:

-Remove exhaust system, including exhaust header; --------Remove driveshaft; removed shift linkage, transmission, clutch; removed suspension; removed brakes/lines; removed radiator/hoses
-Remove AC Compressor & condenser and saved, seal off AC Lines (will address re-install of AC system later)
-Cleaned up engine/engine bay
-Assured all functions work, repaired as needed, e.g., lighting, heat, horn, wipers, directionals, windows, locks, gauges, etc.
-Replace missing light bulbs as needed in various tail lights and lamps around vehicle
-Replace broken reverse light switch
-Replace broken brake light switch
-installed new battery

SUSPENSION:
-Rebuild suspension with new H&R Springs and Bilstein HD shocks.
-Installed new upper front strut mounts/bearings
-R&R rear subframe mounts
-Replace idler arm bushings, rear subframe bushings
-Wheel alignment

BRAKES:
-Rebuilt front brake calipers
-Reinstall calipers with new front rotors & pads
-Replace flexible brake lines with new stainless steel jacketed flex lines
-Remove rear brake drums, replace 2 rear wheel cylinders
-Replace brake drums with new (painted) drums
-Installed new dust shields and new spacer washers
-Bled brakes and clutch systems

CLUTCH:
-Replaced clutch & pressure plate (Sachs), new pilot bearing
-Resurfaced flywheel
-Installed new clutch master and clutch slave cylinders.

STEERING AND FRONT END:
-Replace front center steering link and both front tie rod assemblies with new
-All new tie rods and center link pitman arm bushings
-Front end alignment

TRANSMISSION/ DRIVELINE:
-Reseal gearbox (input shaft, output shaft, shift selector shaft seal)
-Rebuild shift linkage
-Replace rear main seal
-Fill gearbox with Redline MTL
-Innstall driveshaft with new, correct, driveshaft flex disc bolts/nuts

ENGINE/ENGINE BAY:
-Replace missing throttle shaft pivot mount on engine bay firewall
-Remove, degrease, and vapor hone engine valve cover; Satin clearcoat valve cover; Reinstall valve cover with new gasket
-Re-installed starter motor, and replace 2 missing starter motor bolts
-Re-install exhaust header with all new studs

-Ceramic coated header and installed with new heat shield
-Replace rubber fuel lines as needed
-Install electric fuel pump and install adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-Remove un-used electrical wiring harness from emissions relays and emission modules no longer present in engine bay
-Replace radiator hoses
-Remove damaged radiator, replace with tested, used radiator
-Changed all fluids
-Fill cooling system
-Start and run engine to bleed cooling system
-Adjust carb settings
-Adjust choke

Here are a few pictures. Can't wait until April to continue the re-assembly and get this classic on the road :)

-RoyW

ImageDSCN6407 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6408 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6409 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6411 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6412 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6420 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6424 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN6425 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9394 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: OK... on to the next one! 06/08/20 update

Post by RoyW »

The Covid-19 pandemic has slowed down progress on my ‘75 2002 project car, as it pretty much did with everything else... but in May we were finally able to get things going again with the installation of all the remaining outside trim, all door cards and associated handles & armrests installed, also the seats. Found the speedo didn't work, so that was sent out for repair, plus a new speedo cable, and then all were re-installed. The car starts easily, and runs great, but still needs a good shakedown, especially after all the earlier mechanical work that VSR did, and given the fact that it hasn't been driven in over 20 years!! Again a special thanks to VSR for storing the car for the winter and for their help with the on-going work.

Early last week I trailered the car to a friend's car stereo shop in NH and had the wiring for the "future" head, amp, and speakers installed, as I plan to lay the sound/vibration damping material and the new carpet set in the coming weeks (removing those the seats once again :laugh: ) and I wanted the sound system wiring completed first. Also found out that the boxes of interior parts that came with the car only contained a partial front console, and that was for an A/C car... so I've ordered a complete non-A/C long console and some front speaker pods that are fabricated from koolgewerks in CA.... then, the Alpine head-unit and front speakers can be mounted and connected. The rears are already installed, as is a small Alpine subwoofer.

From there, and with the help of my grandson, I brought the car over to another friend's shop to "borrow" :) their lift so I could tackle a thorough scraping & cleaning of the under-carriage to check for any issues, and then prep for some fresh under-coating spray. I found the underside to be solid as a rock, no issue whatsoever :D However, many years of peeling factory undercoating, blow-back oil, and general crud it still needed attention that will take at least another full day session to complete.... and that's planned for next weekend. So, with my wife's help we then spent the next day giving her a thorough exterior detailing and cleaned up the inside a little too (pictures below). The paint (a re-spray and color change from white, back in the mid-90's) is very, very good... and she shined up quite nicely! :D

All in all, things are going generally as planned... just a little slower than I hoped and with the requisite surprises that are always found along the way on a project car! :laugh:

-RoyW

ImageP6060247 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060252 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060256 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060257 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060258 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060259 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060260 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060261 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060262 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060253 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060263 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6060264 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050230 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050232 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050233 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050236 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050237 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050238 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050239 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050240 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050242 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050243 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050244 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6050245 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: OK... on to the next one! 06/14/20 update

Post by RoyW »

I got the '02 back up on the lift yesterday and continued with the under-carriage cleaning (mostly de-greasing) and then prepped the surfaces with isopropl alcohol and taped everything off. Did two coats of Rust-Oleum Professional Grade undercoating... came out pretty decent. I then went back and touched-up a few spots (after these pics) after it had dried and I looked closer with a light to find spots that needed a little more or I'd somehow missed :)

Next, I want to put a coating on some of the older front suspension components that I wire-brushed (removing surface rust) while up on the lift... didn't want to spay it (would have involve too much taping) so I'll brush it at a later date with maybe POR-15 or Chassis Black? Probably over-kill for a "driver", but I can't help myself LOL

Now to bring the car back home and start on the interior sound deadening and install the new carpet set. :)

-RoyW

Image20200613_114839 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20200613_114752 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20200613_132620 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20200613_132718 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: OK... on to the next one! 06/14/20 update

Post by RoyW »

Now that all the "lift required" work is done, I picked the '02 up at the shop in NH last week and brought her back to the condo here in NY. Now to get to work on completing that interior install, e.g., sound/vibration matting; new carpet set; center console; steering wheel: etc. Then get the sound system install completed and install the driving lights and a couple other items I picked up. Then registration and plates :)

I found a new storage unit that I'll get into on August 1st and will then have more room to work that just half of the condo's small 2-car garage (miss the AutoBahn) :) I'm still hoping to be "crusin'" in this baby later this summer! We'll see! :)

-RoyW

ImageP6250284 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6250288 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6250292 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6250293 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6250294 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Last edited by RoyW on Jul 03, 2020 5:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Re: OK... on to the next one! 06/28/20 update

Post by cek »

Wow. Sex on wheels. <3 <3 <3.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Roy:

The '02 looks great! I hope you'll call me if you ever get bored with it and want to move it to a good, new home! :D

Did you ever find a rear premium speaker tweeter cover? I've got a spare rear speaker in black that I'd be glad to donate to the project. Let me know if you can use it.

Hope you and the family are well.

Regards,
Mike
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Thanks Mike... PM sent.

-RoyW
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Comin' your way! Glad to make a very small donation to this great project. :D