What did you do to your other car(s) today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
BDKawey

Re: What did you do to your other car(s) today?

Post by BDKawey »

Yesterday I began teardown on the subaru for a timing belt job. due to bad design the timing cover bolts are just spinning on atleast 3 of them. took a break and later this probably tomorrow ill get back to it and see what kind of destruction I have to do to get them out.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Put the e39 up for sale. Taking a big loss in terms of money, but It isn't worth fixing either. Besides, I've already got my sights set on a Toyobaru twin. Either that or the Craigslist demons will lure me back in...
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Messed around with some fiberglass on my E21 to patch a hole in the floorboard. A much larger repair is necessary but waiting till I have the time for a complete teardown. Negated any further rust...
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

still working on the subaru's timing belt when i can. had to break the timing covers on both sides off, only have to replace one of the covers. the rest can be fixed.

went to put the water pump in and 2 of 6 of the threads on the block are going to need helicoiled. another common subaru failure even when using a torque wrench.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Not today, but...

When I bought the Herky Bird last year, it was missing the spare tire. Thankfully I haven't had need for one, but it's always been one of the many things in the back of my head that keep me from getting back to sleep when I wake up way too early. I got new tires for it last fall, and had the tire shop save one of the old tires with decent tread so I could put together a full-size spare for it. I asked if they had a used wheel for it; nope, but they could get a new wheel, but I was feeling cheap, especially after spending a bunch of money on new tires for it, so I blew it off.

Fast-forward to a couple weeks ago, I did some poking around on CraigsList, and stumbled across an ad for a set of 17" aluminum wheels off of a 2014 F150 for about the same price as the tire shop wanted for a new steel wheel. The guy was located about 2 hours north of me, but agreed to meet up at about the half-way point when we were visiting my daughter a few days later. They were in really good shape; a little rash on one of them, but far, far better than the slightly rusty steelies they would replace.

I got them swapped on last Saturday; almost didn't recognize the truck when they drove it around to the front of the shop when it was done. Looks much better, and I think it drives better too. I didn't check the weights, but it seemed like the new ones were way lighter than the steelies. Even though they're the same size as the old ones, they look smaller. Decent improvement though.

Oh, and we get to do some more bodywork on the Lexus too. My wife was backing out of our driveway at the exact same moment as our neighbor directly across the street, and their bumpers met in the middle. She busted up the left rear marker light and gouged the bumper cap pretty good. The neighbor just got a scratched bumper. Getting it fixed will be a pain in the neck though.

Moments after that incident, she was heading down the street on her way to work and heard a big THUD!!! on the roof of the car. She hit the brakes, and watched as a squirrel rolled down the windshield and hood! The stupid rodent had fallen out of a tree and onto the roof as she drove under it! Probably saved the critter's life. He didn't stick around to say thanks though; probably scared the thing half to death, and scared the daylights out of her too. ;)
cek

Post by cek »

Picked up Uglina from Legend 4x4 today. Nick took care of installing the new seat covers I bought about 10 years ago. We put all new foam in too. They look and feel great. Drove around a bunch in the Salt Lake heat and was disappointed to find that I still have a stalling issue at idle when hot. I'll be calling State Automotive tomorrow to have them look at it again.

My son is coming to visit Utah this weekend and we're going to do some light wheeling. Can't wait.

Here's the planned route:
https://goo.gl/maps/Xm4LzubBcPXcXYdw8
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Installed the new M Sport bumpers on the wife's wagon.

forum picture hosting
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Dale3783 wrote:Installed the new M Sport bumpers on the wife's wagon.

forum picture hosting
looks real good! needs a nice lip now.

that image host looks really good too, i just made a account. Do we know if there is an upload limit? I couldnt see anything about it on the site.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

BDKawey wrote:that image host looks really good too, i just made a account. Do we know if there is an upload limit? I couldnt see anything about it on the site.
The front page states:
Drag and drop anywhere you want and start uploading your images now. 16 MB limit. Direct image links, BBCode and HTML thumbnails.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

brb going to grade school to learn to read
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

BDKawey wrote:
Dale3783 wrote:Installed the new M Sport bumpers on the wife's wagon.

forum picture hosting
looks real good! needs a nice lip now.

that image host looks really good too, i just made a account. Do we know if there is an upload limit? I couldnt see anything about it on the site.

I was really happy and feeling that sense of accomplishment for about 12 seconds before I realized "Gee, it really needs a lip now." Oh well.

Soon....
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

One of the BMW parts I've installed on the Datsun has failed.:bawl: I noticed on the way back from Vacation last month the aux fan I'd installed wasn't working with the A/C. First guess was correct, the resistor. $20 and an hour or so later it's back in business. :up:
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I misdiagnosed my e39. Turns out the thermostat was getting stuck and causing it to overheat, NOT a bad head gasket or cracked head. Replaced thermostat and everything is fine now. Still want it gone though.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

popped a brake line on the rusty S10. I bought some line, but thats as far as I got. Ordered a bending tool, one of those things that looks like a screwed up pair of pliers. It blew right at the front driver's side flex hose, and it needs to make a couple of 90 degree bends in fairly tight quarters to get from there to the other side of the frame. I don't own a bubble flare tool so the top part of the line where it connects to the ABS unit will remain original and I'll just double flare and union it further down.
foamy

Post by foamy »

pulled the engine from a 1998 impreza for head gaskets going to end up selling the car i got it free.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Brakes fixed. Was not bubble flare, but I still spliced the line rather than trying to make a 2 turn spiral. I think there is air in the back, the pedal still feels a little funky. Doesn't pull to either side so I don't think its air in the front circuit.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

1. For a long time, I had thought that my e23's ignition switch had failed, because it would only crank with the diagnostic port. Turns out that my battery had a bad cell and wasn't supplying enough power to the ignition. Dummy. Replaced battery and all is well.

2. I am currently in the process of trying to trade my e39 for a project Subaru SVX. Other party has verbally agreed. If all goes well, I may have it by Wednesday.

^^Update
Un-fucking-believable. I was on my way to show the e39 to the guy and make sure the SVX was in good condition, and he texts me some pictures of the car, which had been involved in a hit and run. The car is now no longer worth the trade and I'm SOL. Feel sorry for the guy though, he was a couple days away from getting it off his hands. Guess i'm stuck with the e39 for now.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I didn't do it this time. My wife was heading up to Or to visit here brother and wife when the alternator crapped out on the E39. 300+ miles away from home. Towed in to her brothers place, who's been a wrench in a shop for 40+ years. Drama ensued, I was ready to drive up there with a pair of batteries to charge and swap and drive home, but then he said, he'd change it, NBD. Amazon got one there, he put it in and she drove home 400 miles without issue.

Of course now I've got it apart and it appears to be nothing more than brushes, not that they're as easy to replace as 80s BMWs, but I've got some coming. Then the decision comes, do I continue to use the brand new made in China alt or go thru the trouble of changing out the French one, Valeo? Or get a P and P Bosch rebuilt one? :dunno:
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I'd vote for rebuilding the old one and shelving it until needed. If you've got it, you won't need it.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gadget73 wrote:I'd vote for rebuilding the old one and shelving it until needed. If you've got it, you won't need it.
Great minds think alike, I've already got brushes on the way. :D I mean for 5 bucks how could I not.
jca

Post by jca »

Did some minor body work on my wife's 2002 Dodge Grand Minivan, es model. A bad driver totaled her first one, but we liked the model so much that we eventually found its twin in Raleigh, North Carolina. Had a nice road trip driving it back home to Texas.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

rebuilt the fresh air / recirc door actuator on the Continental. Its got a simple two position switch that indicates open or closed, and it had stopped reading. The lube on the wiper contacts had gotten all nasty and it wasn't making connection in the "closed" position. NBD, open it, clean it, quick lathe work to re-attach the crank arm, put it back in. Drove the car this morning and the climate control is still flashing so there is some fault still. Luckily all of the parts for the climate control system are easy to access. Just flip the glovebox open and its all right there. Beats the hell out of things where you have to remove the dashboard to service anything.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Put a new battery in my 325iX. It had started cranking slowly, and I have no idea how old the old battery was, so I figured I'd be proactive and replace it before winter and cold temperatures got here. Man, batteries have gotten expensive since the last time I bought one.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Man, batteries have gotten expensive since the last time I bought one.[/quote]

So agree with you, I just had to buy 2 AGM batteries, over $200 each, WTF? I was expecting to pay $90-$110+- each.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

washed the s4 and had a little iphone shoot with some fall colors