Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
DanielM

FS- 1988 BMW E28 M5

Post by DanielM »

1988 BMW E28 M5
VIN: WBSDC9302J2791509
Mileage: 151,600
Price: $39,000 FIRM

I am selling my very original BMW M5 - completely unmolested inside and out except for refurbishment of broken or simply worn out components. The paint is in good shape - I'd say a 7 out of 10 with a nice patina from 28 years of great driving and is all original except for a repaint of the front passenger side panel. All panels include original VIN stickers (ie hood, front fenders, and doors). I would include the others if I knew where they are located. The interior leather seats are original and also have the finish of a well-aged and cared-for car. All electronics work (windows, sun roof, radio, antenna, computer, and power seats). The dash is cracked in the usual areas as seen in the accompanying pictures.

From my understanding, I am the fourth owner of the car. The first, Bob Gaddy, lived in Arkansas and sold it to a friend. He drove it for a bit and then stored it for ten years as he did not want to drive it with the odometer broken. A second friend of Bob purchased it with intent to sell it immediately. I am the fourth owner.

The following is a list of all the work that has been done to the car in the last two years (paperwork available for the $15K worth of work completed within the last year).

Previous Owner
- Remove and replace fuel pump
- Remove and clean out gas tank then reinstall
- Remove and replace brake pads
- Remove and replace rear air ride suspension with OEM air ride suspension

Previous work
- Remove instrument cluster to repair speedometer and odometer (I added about 25 miles to the car before fixing the odometer/ previous owner added about 100 miles)
- Replace front strut mounts
- Replace transmission shifter joint
- Tune-up, including replacement of spark plugs, oil change, and valve adjustment
- Compression check all cylinders between 170 - 175 psi
- Replace clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder, and connecting hoses
- Remove and replace the exhaust, muffler, and hangers
- Remove and reinstall flywheel once flywheel was resurfaced and balanced
- Remove and replace filler neck tank hoses
- Repair A/C system which included remove and replace evaporator, expansion valve, ac hose, ac compressor, dryer
- Purchase an OEM BMW period correct radio and install
- Replaced cracked dash with new dash

Recently (update as of 10.20)
- Repainted the rims
- Replaced driver side window motor
- Serviced injectors
- Replaced front tie rods, end bushings, and sway bar ends
- Replaced fuel pump and crank shaft sensor
- Replaced valve gasket, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and replace timing chain tensioner

All the work I have done (ie within the last year) has been performed by Dave at Summit Automotive (he's recently relocated to Checkpoint Automotive in Los Angeles). These guys are very knowledgeable of E28 M5s.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the items that need to be addressed include:
- Mirrors do not work
- Front window is fogged up at the corners
- There is a small spot of rust at the back trunk as seen in the picture

I would not hesitate to drive this car across the country as it runs great - smooth, fun, and it turns a lot of heads. If you are looking for an original that has not had chips added or other after-market add ons then this is your car.

I have uploaded a bunch of pictures which can be accessed via the link below.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 1UbEZCczdB

I can be reached at modaldesign dot la at gmail dot com or PM (please note I am a newbie to PMs)

Last edited by DanielM on Sep 29, 2020 2:32 PM, edited 12 times in total.
elguapo928

Re: FS- 1989 BMW E28 M5

Post by elguapo928 »

Good looking car. I know Dave does good work on e28 and other old generation cars. GLWS!
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I have up loaded a few videos people have been asking for to my google link for those interested.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

Wow, that must be the rarest of all BMWs.
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

Outstanding advertisement, well done :up:

GLWS and great choice of venue.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks George Hanson. I wanted to provide as much information as possible about the car. I always find it that I am attracted to those ads where the seller provides a lot of pictures and puts all the info about the car out there.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

You would think that if a seller were asking $36k for a car, they would at least list the year model correctly.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

^^^^ :laugh: :laugh:
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Great catch on the title. I will try to change the title from 89 to 88 as it should be. Thanks Kyle for catching this.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Re: FS- 1988 BMW E28 M5

Post by Kyle in NO »

No problem, it’s just that sort of thing that makes buyers shy away from a car, believe it or not.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I totally agree! I have been known to shy away myself from those ads with simple and stupid mistakes.

-- Added Aug 20, 2018 12:50 PM --

bump...

My car is still for sale and open to offers.

-- Added Jun 03, 2019 1:45 PM --

Car is still for sale. In case any one is interested, I recently found and purchased a replacement dashboard which I could include in the sale.
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Great luck on sale Daniel. The brake sensor light come on on every M5 and illuminates until you set foot on brake pedal. That is the proper operation. No need to mention it in your ad, as it might alert potential buyer into thinking there might be an electrical glitch. You can remove that line for sure.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Good to know. I will update per your suggestion.
JosueBencito

Post by JosueBencito »

Hi,
Would you be interested to trade for a 2003 e39 m5 , titanium silver, 114,000 miles. I also have a 1987 e28 535is that I have owned for 31 years.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thank you for the offer but I will pass as I am trying to reduce the number of cars I have.

-- Added Jun 14, 2019 8:04 AM --

I wanted to add a quick shot of the car cleaned up and in the garage.

alpinass

Post by alpinass »

Nice example - only comments - install a fresh coolant tank (white) and pull driver's seat repair bolster. Good Luck!
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks for the recommendation! I had thought about the coolant tank but decided to keep the existing one since it is supposedly original to the car and it works.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

DanielM wrote:Thanks for the recommendation! I had thought about the coolant tank but decided to keep the existing one since it is supposedly original to the car and it works.
Being an original coolant tank, would mean all the more reason to throw it away, to me - but I digress. Best of luck on your sale.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Quick update: I had my mechanic fix a squeak coming from the AC blower which meant the center console had to come out. While the console was out, it was the perfect time to replace the existing cracked dash with the dash I sourced. I tried to add images to this post but cant figure out why my google drive image link will not post the image here. You can see images of the dash in the link to my album. Scroll down to the bottom of the album to see the images.

https://goo.gl/photos/huCmfCrChJGzZkCX7

-- Added Nov 19, 2019 2:13 PM --

The car is still for sale. Here is a quick picture of when I took the M5 out to Angeles Crest Highway over the weekend. The M5 handles amazing on the twisty roads up there and all systems are ran great.

-- Added Jan 28, 2020 1:54 PM --

The car is still for sale. Just picked the M5 from the shop where I had all the bushings replaced at the front end of the car. The handling is now tight and direct. What a difference it makes.

-- Added Feb 10, 2020 11:47 AM --

Looking to sell and open to best offers.
sbdjbrown

Post by sbdjbrown »

DanielM - I really like your e28 but I am in the same situation as you. I have more cars than room and I am forbidden by my wife to buy any more. This is just a suggestion but have you considered BAT? I don’t have any experience as a seller but I did purchase a BMW 02 through BAT and it seemed okay to me. In my case I was not the high bidder but the high bidder did not go through with the deal, Bat put me in contact with the seller and we agreed on a price. BAT took no commission. I think they went the extra mile to facilitate a sale for the seller even though at that point they had no skin in the game. Since then Bat has treated me as an alumni, I am always welcome at events where they have a presence to hang out in the Bat corral area and have lunch or whatever they are serving.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Very nice M5 and the model I tried to buy some years ago, from a friend here but lost out on the buy. I hope this goes to a very good home and someone who will maintain and enjoy this vehicle, as those of us here would do. My nearly 33 years with my E28 was an excellent experience. Good luck with the sale.
-Rod
(still driving a German car, a 2019 Audi RS 3 and LOVE it!)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

sbdjbrown...thanks for the BAT suggestion. I am pondering that as my next step so keep an eye out for it.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I just updated the maintenance done to the car. She is still for sale.