Anyone ordered from Lseat.com

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
tschultz

Re: Anyone ordered from Lseat.com

Post by tschultz »

Thanks for the bump, I've been waiting for this! I think I may need to get a set... I found Ecru White is similar to Pearl Beige based on their sample sheet.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

I would recommend getting reinforced piping. Mine is already started the show wear on the driver's side and I barely drive my car. Also a word of warning the backseat stitching does not line up.
Also I recommend getting a square foot if your really worried about color match. It really changes when you have a large area to compare.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I think the e28 set comes with Piping.
Last edited by brickwhite on Nov 17, 2019 2:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

brickwhite wrote:Not getting back seats. I think the e28 set comes with Piping.
There is an upgrade to the piping, maybe worth the ten or fifteen dollars
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Will they do French seams instead of piping?
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

They seem to be willing to do anything, but communication is a challenge. I bought a seat cushion for my truck from eseatshop, which is the same business. I wonder if there is a better way to contact the actual business. Until I placed the order, I received one word responses to my questions. Be very clear what you want, send drawings, and whatever else you can. Read my post after install, be prepared to modify the covers. The e28 style maybe different, I'm not familiar with how the sport seat covers mount.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

A guy on the Bigcoupe site used a set for e30 seats. He seemed to have good luck too.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28930
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

brickwhite wrote:A guy on the Bigcoupe site used a set for e30 seats. He seemed to have good luck too.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28930
And a decent tutorial on making basic door cards. ;)
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

I ordered front and rear sets just a few days ago in "dark beige" believing this would be the shade that would most closely match my pearl beige interior. Now, I'm beginning to second guess this choice as a couple other colors on the lseat.com site also appear to be close matches. The seller is willing to send me some swatch samples, but based on some of the stories I've heard about them I'd rather not complicate things and maybe end-up delaying the shipment by many weeks.

Anyway, has anyone here used these to replace pearl beige leather? If so, what color did you purchase from lseat.com? Or, if anyone has their samples readily available would you mind taking a look at them and letting me know which one is closest? It looks like bisque, and ivory could also be close.

Cheers!
Sparkeysf
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

I really suggest you order 1sqft of the colors you think it is close to.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Sparkeysf wrote:I ordered front and rear sets just a few days ago in "dark beige" believing this would be the shade that would most closely match my pearl beige interior. Now, I'm beginning to second guess this choice as a couple other colors on the lseat.com site also appear to be close matches. The seller is willing to send me some swatch samples, but based on some of the stories I've heard about them I'd rather not complicate things and maybe end-up delaying the shipment by many weeks.

Anyway, has anyone here used these to replace pearl beige leather? If so, what color did you purchase from lseat.com? Or, if anyone has their samples readily available would you mind taking a look at them and letting me know which one is closest? It looks like bisque, and ivory could also be close.

Cheers!
Sparkeysf
Reid?
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

Haha... yes, I do know that would be the wisest thing to do. But, I'm too impatient to wait additional weeks to get my car finished. Just thought maybe there was someone who may have already gone through this exercise. I'd trust anyone here to make the right choice ;)
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

Reid?
Yup! Hi Jay!
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

Sparkeysf wrote:
Haha... yes, I do know that would be the wisest thing to do. But, I'm too impatient to wait additional weeks to get my car finished. Just thought maybe there was someone who may have already gone through this exercise. I'd trust anyone here to make the right choice ;)
A bad match will bug you more than a few weeks of waiting. You might look on rv3, pretty sure someone did PB on their e30. Good luck! I really had no issues on delivery time like everyone else says.
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

BimmerDan wrote:
Sparkeysf wrote:
A bad match will bug you more than a few weeks of waiting. You might look on rv3, pretty sure someone did PB on their e30. Good luck! I really had no issues on delivery time like everyone else says.
That's absolutely true, it certainly would bug me ;) I did see a thread on rv3 where someone did PB using a dark brown shade from lseat.com. In my opinion, it wasn't a great choice for that interior. I'll poke around a little more to see if I can find someone who ordered beige. Thanks Dan.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I would orderer Dark red
Last edited by brickwhite on Nov 17, 2019 2:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.
SW

Post by SW »

one could use leatherique to supply a dye to match OEM if necessary. That is what I am thinking anyway. Get a shade or 2 lighter and dye it to correct.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

the Lseat covers look good
Last edited by brickwhite on Nov 17, 2019 2:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

I wrapped the back of my seats with the hide I ordered from lseat. It turned out really nice, I ended up doing the pulls and door cards too.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I ordered a set as well and am working on installing myself. I ordered in Feb and had the covers in about 4 weeks.

Mine came the same day as brickwhite, which is the day the email suggested. Vacuum packed bag meant that it arrived safely and in a relatively small box. I opted for the piping to try to get close to the original finish of the seats. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the package came with a rear skin to cover the seatback in a matching leather. Upon initial inspection, it appeared that the color Ecru White was darker brown than the Pearl Beige. PB seems to look more green to the eye.

This was until I opened my seats and compared the color under the seatback. I was happy to find that the color was very very close (--glad I didn't order bisque color) to the original protected leather color. The grain in Lseat's covers is deeper and the overall finish is slightly less smooth, but overall it's going to be great for my car-- The above seat has been deteriorating like that since I bought it in 2010. For $370 I'm quite happy. With $450 and my time, I don't know that I could have done better even with vinyl.

I haven't done upholstery before but the DIY on here by Solarphil really helped for disassembling the seats and understanding how everything was assembled. I'm at probably 8 hours and I'm very close to wrapping up the passenger seat. I just need to use the skin provided to wrap the seat back but I don't have adhesive for the job. I will also use this chance to get my power head rests working, and do some maintenance on the one motor that didn't seem to work on this seat.

The headrest leather is looser than anywhere else, but it is possible that my headrest foam had been compressed.

Here's how it looked the other night when I was about to install the bolster adjustment trim.

The headrest and knee bolster seem to be the areas where I can't get it to look factory. I'm still happy and can't wait to finish them and install into my DD.
Last edited by tschultz on Mar 18, 2019 8:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Wow, those look great for a DIY in a DD! Great job.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

tschultz,
How did you get the wrinkles out? I tried and struggled with that.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

That was just patience and order of operations I think, coupled with a bit of luck.

I started with the upper bolsters as they are a little simpler overall. After estimating and locating the skin to the bolster, I attached the metal wire to the seatback with hog rings making sure it was tight in each direction. Then I did the tops of each side bolsters by making sure to pull it tight and compress the cushion a bit when attaching the leather to the body. This allowed me to work down to the thicker section of the bolster with the rest of the skin tight. I realized any wrinkles here due to uneven pulling will just exaggerate later, so I checked to make sure it wasn't pulled too tight in any direction. I tried smoothing it by hand by working out the leather in the direction I wanted and placing the leather folds where it seemed correct.

So far I'm close with the second seat but the way it was packed, this second seat has a few more wrinkles. The headrest also has some wrinkles due to the cushion being a little compressed. Maybe I should have steamed it to expand the foam out... I'm thinking they will come out once they get a little heat and sun inside the car. 10 hours a seat for me, but I'm new at this and spent some time getting the holes cut out for attachments.

Maybe the E46 seats had a different amount of fabric or worse even pull with those non-symmetric bolsters?

I'll try to get a few more photos soon when I get them finished.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

They look very good! The worst was when I ordered the hide for the door cards, I used a damp towel and Iron.

If you need a steamer I can loan you mine.

As for the e46 seats, the biggest issue I had was they use the bar with the plastic hook, which the new covers did not have. I had to have it cut off the old cover and attached to the new including the 6 inches of leather.
tschultz wrote:That was just patience and order of operations I think, coupled with a bit of luck.

Maybe the E46 seats had a different amount of fabric or worse even pull with those non-symmetric bolsters?

I'll try to get a few more photos soon when I get them finished.
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

I received my color samples from lseat.com this week. It appears my Pearl Beige seats are somewhere between Ecru White and Ivory. I'm having a difficult time deciding. Are you still happy with the choice of Ecru White after completing the upholstery project?

tschultz wrote:I ordered a set as well and am working on installing myself. I ordered in Feb and had the covers in about 4 weeks.

Mine came the same day as brickwhite, which is the day the email suggested. Vacuum packed bag meant that it arrived safely and in a relatively small box. I opted for the piping to try to get close to the original finish of the seats. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the package came with a rear skin to cover the seatback in a matching leather. Upon initial inspection, it appeared that the color Ecru White was darker brown than the Pearl Beige. PB seems to look more green to the eye.

This was until I opened my seats and compared the color under the seatback. I was happy to find that the color was very very close (--glad I didn't order bisque color) to the original protected leather color. The grain in Lseat's covers is deeper and the overall finish is slightly less smooth, but overall it's going to be great for my car-- The above seat has been deteriorating like that since I bought it in 2010. For $370 I'm quite happy. With $450 and my time, I don't know that I could have done better even with vinyl.

I haven't done upholstery before but the DIY on here by Solarphil really helped for disassembling the seats and understanding how everything was assembled. I'm at probably 8 hours and I'm very close to wrapping up the passenger seat. I just need to use the skin provided to wrap the seat back but I don't have adhesive for the job. I will also use this chance to get my power head rests working, and do some maintenance on the one motor that didn't seem to work on this seat.

The headrest leather is looser than anywhere else, but it is possible that my headrest foam had been compressed.

Here's how it looked the other night when I was about to install the bolster adjustment trim.

The headrest and knee bolster seem to be the areas where I can't get it to look factory. I'm still happy and can't wait to finish them and install into my DD.