Utah

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cek

Utah

Post by cek »

I now sorta live in Utah. It's complicated. Home is still in Bellevue, WA but I'll be in SLC (Draper, specifically) during the work weeks. I'm going to get really used to the 3 hour door to door commute Monday and Friday.

The past three weeks have enabled me to get a good sense of the vibe of the area. Julie and I have rented an apartment for the next 6-9-12 months for me to live in (she claims she'll give me conjugal visits) that includes two parking spots (garage). We may build/buy a second home here. Or not. For now we have options and view it as a grand adventure (I feel extremely blessed with the opportunity to have such an adventure).

We have the q7 here until next fall when it will be crushed by VW and they will give us a check for far more than the car is worth.

I've befriended a few enthusiasts at work and random strangers named Bryce who happened to have a 2002 sticker on his laptop at a Starbucks and who has a nest golf yellow 2002 with really cool BBS wheels he's restoring.

I've joined a few Utah bmw Facebook pages and am lurking there. I've learned nobody uses Craigslist and that ksl.com is da bomb.

I am currently thinking I'll bring Maytag out here here after the interior is done (Oct?). Obviously won't drive it when the roads are salted (they do that here). WA license plates are crazy expensive but 25+ cars are emissions except. Here licenses are cheap, but emissions testing is required back to '67 (!!!). I don't know if Maytag would pass.

Or maybe I'll bring Vlad but keep it registered in WA.

Nothing changes with Minerva. I already committed to using my checkbook wrench to complete most of it, so I'm mostly ok with that plan.

Ill need to find a local wrench I trust because it's unlikely I'll have my own place to wrench for at least a year.

Who knows about Utah and can maybe connect me with some good car folks? Any of you in Utah? Ldsbeaker doesn't count.
70deluxe

Re: Utah

Post by 70deluxe »

CEK,

Welcome to the Beehive State. I just moved (back) here myself in May. I live in Provo but am in Draper frequently enough, as my sister lives there.

I’ve got a 2002 that I restored and an e28 that’s sort of giving me grief. I’ve met a few other enthusiasts since I’ve been back but am pretty busy at home with two little kids so not a ton of time for car stuff.

Regardless, shoot me a PM and let’s figure something out. Would be rad to meet up.

I’ve heard good things about this shop but haven’t used their services yet.

http://www.mayomotoren.com
Last edited by 70deluxe on Aug 15, 2018 12:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

I make it up to the Ogden area often, we will have to meet up soon! There is a guy here that goes by “thespeedfactory” that has a legit repair shop up in Eden, where I stay. If you need work done, TJ has a mighty fine establishment.

http://sterlingautomotivesolutions.com
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Murfinator lives in the American Fork area. I think you'd really be into his project. Next time I'm up that way for work, I'll let you know.
Greg E34

Post by Greg E34 »

I've mooched off of Kyle in Eden several times and had the pleasure to meet TJ and visit his shop. Beautiful area.
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

Charlie,

I don't have any car people for you but I do have a friend who just moved there from WI and is a Realtor (if you require services).

Todd
cek

Post by cek »

Thanks guys! I'm going to go visit both those shops sometime soon. I'll also reach out to Murfinator.

Chris/Kyle - please do let me know when you're here!

70Deluxe - PM incoming...

Todd - Please email me your friend's contact info (ckindel@gmail.com).
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

cek wrote:Julie and I have rented an apartment for the next 6-9-12 months for me to live in (she claims she'll give me conjugal visits) that includes two parking spots (garage)...
TMI...

This sounds like a nice adventure. Enjoy it.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Who needs Amazon when you can have...SLC? ;)
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Congrats on the new job!
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Any room in the new place for me? Pedigreed/Housebroken
cek

Post by cek »

oldskool wrote:Any room in the new place for me? Pedigreed/Housebroken
Skier or snowboarder?
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I’ve skieed the K-12 and Perfect North in Indiana. Lost both skis and my deposit. Willing to try the K-12 again.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Utah, hmmm, wonder what he'll be up to there.

Regardless, I'd threaten to stop by sometime, I'm in Utah at least once a year, but usually in Moab and points south. And it is of course a good sized state. Anyway, good luck on whatever project you have going there!
cek

Post by cek »

Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Sounds like a cool adventure in a beautiful setting and interesting state. I would like to make my way westward (someday?) but you know I just made an investment in a large MN garage... so I guess I'm stuck here a while longer.

What's the point of emissions testing back to '67? Sheesh.

Wife and I are in Seattle next weekend for a wedding in the Suncadia area but we're in and out in about 40 hours so I wasn't going to bother you asking to meet up. I guess that wouldn't have mattered since you're 3 hours away!
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

How's the smoke from the NorCal fires?
cek

Post by cek »

T_C_D wrote:How's the smoke from the NorCal fires?
Bad. Better today. But Seattle was FAR worse last week when we were there.
inkatouring

Post by inkatouring »

Cek,

Little circle of life: I saw your user name and location and wondered if you were the guy with e34 540i M-Sport whose site I read all the time when I had one of those as well. Of course, you are. Then I saw Vlad and wondered if it was my old 535is. It wasn't but still. And your 911. Well, I have one of those, although a 993. And I'm in the process of tearing apart and putting together old BMWs like you, just different models.

So, hat tip. Enjoy SLC -- drove through this a few weeks ago while dropping my daughter off for her last year at college. It was smokey all the way to Yellowstone.
cek

Post by cek »

inkatouring wrote:Cek,

Little circle of life: I saw your user name and location and wondered if you were the guy with e34 540i M-Sport whose site I read all the time when I had one of those as well. Of course, you are. Then I saw Vlad and wondered if it was my old 535is. It wasn't but still. And your 911. Well, I have one of those, although a 993. And I'm in the process of tearing apart and putting together old BMWs like you, just different models.

So, hat tip. Enjoy SLC -- drove through this a few weeks ago while dropping my daughter off for her last year at college. It was smokey all the way to Yellowstone.
That's awesome. Your C1 is cool!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

inkatouring wrote: ...It was smokey all the way to Yellowstone.
The smoke is going all the way to Yellowstone? Jeez, that's almost a thousand miles away, at least driving.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Mike W. wrote:
inkatouring wrote: ...It was smokey all the way to Yellowstone.
The smoke is going all the way to Yellowstone? Jeez, that's almost a thousand miles away, at least driving.
We've had hazy skies out here in flyover country for weeks, and I've heard that it's smoke from the fires in the west. There are a number of them, so what we're seeing is probably the cumulative effect of Northern California and all the others, but still... That's a lot of miles. We finally saw some blue in the last few days, so I think it's clearing a bit.

https://twitter.com/NWSSanDiego/status/ ... 4294628352
cek

Post by cek »

davintosh wrote:flyover country
LOL. That's funny.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

cek wrote:
davintosh wrote:flyover country
LOL. That's funny.
I would have thought that you've been around long enough for this, but maybe not... :)

topher800

Post by topher800 »

davintosh wrote: We've had hazy skies out here in flyover country for weeks, and I've heard that it's smoke from the fires in the west.
Some 1,500 fires this summer in BC, 450-500 still active. I would think you'd getting a dose from there also.