Seems slow around here....

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
tschultz

Seems slow around here....

Post by tschultz »

Is it just me, or have the forums seemed a bit quiet recently?

I am hoping this is just a lull, but wondering if people have been moving onto other methods of communications or simply newer chassis'...

I do realize that online forums like this are becoming antiquated, but I didn't think it would happen so fast here! :?

I keep coming back here for the depth of technical knowledge and logical approach to problem resolution that allows me to solve problems with other cars/projects. Any thoughts?
John in VA

Re: Seems slow around here....

Post by John in VA »

I occasionally see the E28 Facebook page, with someone asking about something previously or regularly covered here in toto. I figure if folks want to try to learn something while looking at a small phone screen have at it!
Brian in TN

Post by Brian in TN »

Mom dropped me on me noggin a few times. Its her fault I'm slow.
duggi

Post by duggi »

In December of this year, the last few produced e28 chassis will turn 30 years old. Once a car crosses that age, I think it requires a lot more dedication of ownership than just "driving an interesting older car," and so you're seeing less "fresh blood" in these kinds of groups due simply to the challenges and costs of maintaining and driving a car of this age.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

It is slow here. I blame a lot of old regulars using facebook too much, not putting their time into this place. I won't name names, you know who you are. Surely you're also tired of answering the same questions every other day.

Or you're C.R.
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

I just hang out here for the selection of beers.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The old regulars which remain know to search for a solution because every problem on these cars has been posted and resolved (mostly) here. So we don't talk as much amongst ourselves as much as before.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, but half of us who are still here don't have an E28 anymore, but still as questions about E34/39s. :D
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I'm old, I don't do Facebook, and I still drive my M535i daily. I just don't have that much to say. :D
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Much of the traffic from that 'new blood' is via the facebook, and you should be glad they don't bring that weak sauce, feed me info crap here.
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

ElGuappo wrote:Much of the traffic from that 'new blood' is via the facebook, and you should be glad they don't bring that weak sauce, feed me info crap here.
We need more Thugs in here cause we be thuggin :pimp:

I think a lot regulars have developed their own "chats" and smaller WhatsApp type groups to share info and keep posted on what is going on in the community. We have entered the smartphone world and forums like this are the best source of information on repair and maintenance. Smaller groups of friends share other things happening in the BMW world along with what cars are for sale and parts deals.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I'm into Z3s now and those largely unhelpful people. Sorry. The E12 M535i sucked away a lot of my enthusiasm.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

I'm trying to cut down on coal consumption by contributing less to server space.
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

The advent of the facebook certainly did wash out the garbage from around here. It is a bit slower but I suspect that at least the majority of people here actually have worthwhile input - the opposite of the facebook. I did away with those pages 12 months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done in terms of reducing that urge to sell all my cars and jump off a bridge.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Brian in TN wrote:Mom dropped me on me noggin a few times. Its her fault I'm slow.
Bless your heart. ;)
///Mflossin

Post by ///Mflossin »

noticed that on s14.net as well where I am a long-time member. Apparently there is a way to have a lot of discussion on FB but I absolutely despise FB so, I still go to the main site as I do here. I would much prefer to visit a dedicated web page for just these cars/chassis/motor. Long way of saying that S14.net has slowed way down too. There are likely a few factors but I have no intention on ever buying a newer BMW with the insane weight and horrible driving position. I absolutely love my e28's and e30's. I still believe the guys that know the most stay dedicated to the board so....I will continue to go directly to the boards...
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

I still view the board but don't have much to say. No new exciting projects. It's pretty much all
Been done 10x over. There are less cars and less people. I predict Chris Kohler will be the last man standing. :lol:
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I think it's more about post quality over quantity here. That Facebook thing... it makes my head hurt.
Cactus wrote:It is slow here. I blame a lot of old regulars using facebook too much, not putting their time into this place. I won't name names, you know who you are. Surely you're also tired of answering the same questions every other day.
Exactly. Someone brought that up on FB a day or three ago, and I was surprised at the guys I know from this site who said they rarely visit here anymore. I'm like :facepalm:
Cactus wrote:Or you're C.R.
:laugh:
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

I've been noticing it getting slower too, maybe it's just due to E28 supply decreasing. E30 community just keep growing though, even though they ain't makin any more E30's.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

LeiseyJr wrote:I've been noticing it getting slower too, maybe it's just due to E28 supply decreasing. E30 community just keep growing though, even though they ain't makin any more E30's.
I gots me an e30. Y'all need to get with the times and get yourself some.
sail_or_drive

Post by sail_or_drive »

Works for me. I'm pretty slow myself.
RonW

Post by RonW »

For years, when I clicked "View new posts" I would get three pages of new posts every day. Now it's down to two.

The old-timers around here will recall that this site started out of disillusionment with Roadfly. As MyE28.com grew, Roadfly's E28 forum atrophied. As I write this, the Roadfly E28 forum has had a grand total of three posts in 2017. Two of them were new threads with no replies. The last one was a reply to an existing thread (which had been inactive since 2001), and reads, in its entirety, "Hey is the MyE28 board down? Anyone?" with no responses.

There are plenty of E28 owners today who weren't even alive when their cars were produced. They aren't trying to maintain the car they bought new or their old jalopy from school until they can get a "real car." They aren't even trying to recapture their lost youth. They are a much rarer breed: the classic car enthusiast.

25 years ago I bought a used car. 10 years later I bought another used car just like it, the idea being that I'd drive the first car into the ground, then use it as parts and a reference platform for maintaining the second car. I didn't set out to have classic car and a parts car - it just ended up that way.

The new breed of E28 owners aren't like me. They're joining the ranks of current Ford Model A and Chevy C2 Corvette owners. Although this shift has happened before, today we get to watch it happen, thanks to MyE28.com. This site's archives are a rich vein of automotive anthropological data, allowing us to witness a used car become a classic, whose heyday will no longer be in the living memory of most of those who drive it.

[Edits are for minor grammar fixes.]
Last edited by RonW on Sep 30, 2017 10:56 PM, edited 2 times in total.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I have beach sand around the tip of my dingus.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

RonW wrote:The new breed of E28 owners aren't like me. They're joining the ranks of current Ford Model Model A and Chevy C2 Corvette owners. Although this shift has happened before, today we get to watch it happen
That's an interesting perspective...back when I learned how to drive, a Model A Ford was about 42 years old. Here I am today, driving around in a 31 year old car. It's not all that much different. :)
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^Well said Roy.

I'm kind of with Kohler in that my last project kind of burnt me out the whole rest of this year (and I'm STILL working on troubleshooting punch list items). I couldn't even muster up the enthusiasm to compete whole-hardheartedly in the two Concours events this spring.
Work, life (I promised the wife I would chill out on the car projects this year), and just plain fatigue has made me visit/engage in this site less and less this summer.

But hopefully now that the car is mostly squared away and I get to actually driving it, I should be reinvigorated to actually start participating more around here (and finish my Front End project documentation thread for starters).